Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Telluride 4x4

RC Qualifier

Telluride 4x4

So I woke up this morning and saw the new Traxxas advertisement and thought I'd see what people wrote on the traxxas forums. Apparently, I'm one of the first people to write about this! Here are some of the specs for the Telluride 4x4:

XL-5 with Titan 550 motor on 7 cell 8.4 volt power

Kumho Venture MT Tires

All Hex Hardware

Revo Diffs with 100,000 weight oil

I think Traxxas made this truck as a trailing truck (but smaller and cheaper compared to the summit). I actually like the idea of traxxas making a trailing truck, my only problem with it is that the XL-5 combo is so old and they should've gotten a new electronics setup, and another problem I see is that it isn't a kit! Many people who want a trailing truck usually like to build it themselves. I'm not a huge fan of trailing trucks, but I think they should've done it differently. Buying a kit and building stiff is one of the best things you can do for an RC. I break my Slash 4x4 all the time, just so I can take it apart and fix it. But that is a high powered machine, whereas this Telluride is going to be slow again so you won't break as much.

What do you guys think about it? Leave some feedback below!

RC Champion
    Guys that are into trail trucks and kit's would never buy this even if it was a kit because one no scale looks, all plastic chassis so no fabrication your own bumpers, sliders etc.. unless they wan't to fab a whole new ladder chassis to fit the diff housing's. Also another problem is it isn't solid axle. I doubt this is target towards the "scale guys". More towards the kid across the road. Also there is already a general discussion thread.
    ERBE
    Savage Flux XL
    Trail finder 2

RC Turnbuckle Jr. humayrayakongkinaon's Avatar
    heres another way of transforming your p4de into one
    | Rally GT8 Powered By CC |_________________ |

RC Champion
    No thanks, I'll keep my spare parts SCX10.
    Aw, Biscuits!

It looks like Traxxas took some notes from Jang's Shapeshifter project. I'd rather see a metal frame and solid axle, but this is a step in the right direction.

I have been thinking about undoing my Pede-to-Slash conversion I did to make a trail rig like this, but I would be selling my AX10-based trail rig to get one of these.
    Last edited by Greatscott; 08-09-2013 at 02:20 PM.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC Champion
    guys, this is obviously aimed at beginners and young kids just getting into the hobby who can't afford spending 450+ on a Stampede 4x4. It's a stripped down low cost P4de. This isn't for us (maybe for your young kid) and it's not meant to fill any niche except a lower cost 4x4 for the masses.
    Last edited by SLW-SVT; 08-09-2013 at 02:53 PM.
    Pro-2 SCB 2xSuperMaxx Revo-E SCT410

RC Champion
    My kids love this. Looks pretty sweet. Should be pretty durable.
    Thrash It, Bash it, Break it, No Regrets!!!

RC Qualifier
    I'll just say That I'm thankful that TRX came out with a new body. It looks cool and and will turn heads as your going down the trails.
    Brushless RiPs Nitro Drips.

RC Qualifier
    I might get one for my boy

My Slash 4x4 is way too fast for him and he gets bored with our crawler's slow speed, so this looks like a nice medium

RC Competitor
    I agree that its for new Rc'ers and kids. I think I'll stick with my Summit. I have it setup as a Summit LT ATM. I think it looks better and performs better. It has Dewalt motor, Locking diffs, High/Lo. Cant beat it. I kinda like the look of the body. If my son didn't have a pretty built Dingo. I would give this a lot of thought. I wish Traxxas would take the step I think a lot of us want. Make a REAL scaler. I talking 4 link, solid axles, Tube frame. Something to give the SCX10 a run for the money.

Quote Originally Posted by cougar View Post
    I agree that its for new Rc'ers and kids. I think I'll stick with my Summit. I have it setup as a Summit LT ATM. I think it looks better and performs better. It has Dewalt motor, Locking diffs, High/Lo. Cant beat it. I kinda like the look of the body. If my son didn't have a pretty built Dingo. I would give this a lot of thought. I wish Traxxas would take the step I think a lot of us want. Make a REAL scaler. I talking 4 link, solid axles, Tube frame. Something to give the SCX10 a run for the money.
    If you look at the history of Traxxas I rather doubt this is going to happen. Traxxas in the past has not looked at a type of vehicle, let's use your example of a scaler here and said "we can do it better let 's make our own". They tend to think more outside the box and release vehicles unlike anything before it. Examples, before the Slash there really was no Short Course trucks around, the Summit,,,still nothing like it. No one ever offered a 100 mph RTR until the XO-1.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Dadx2mj View Post
    If you look at the history of Traxxas I rather doubt this is going to happen. Traxxas in the past has not looked at a type of vehicle, let's use your example of a scaler here and said "we can do it better let 's make our own". They tend to think more outside the box and release vehicles unlike anything before it. Examples, before the Slash there really was no Short Course trucks around, the Summit,,,still nothing like it. No one ever offered a 100 mph RTR until the XO-1.
    I wouldn't say that. They use to make race vehicles after everyone else had them and they made them better IMO. Then they released the sledgehammer into the market flooded by Blackfoots, the big bear, double dare, etc. and they made it better. Then they released the stampede and took off.
    Losi had the heavy metal short course type truck. Then thunder tech released the pro-2 Traxxas then released the slash at just the right time.

Traxxas usually follows trends or sets trends just like everyone else, but they always do it at the right time and with a great product.

RC Racer
    I love how it looks and with VXL brushless system in there it should really open up this mini Summit because that's what I think of it !
    Slash 4x4 and 10 other Models. Too Much !

RC Racer
    My only question is why? its a brushed stampede 4x4 with slash tires and wheels and a different flimsy body that I'm sure will break 5 minutes out of the box....

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by MJG44 View Post
    My only question is why? its a brushed stampede 4x4 with slash tires and wheels and a different flimsy body that I'm sure will break 5 minutes out of the box....
    Nope... Not if you drive it the way it's meant to be driven... Not into a wall or curb and jump it properly. In my 3 years with traxxas I've only broken 7 parts on my cars total... I haven't invested in my cars much lol but it is so different from the stampede 4x4. Thicker shafts better diffs new looks skinnier chassy different a arms and much more. The only same thing is wheels chassis design and driveline.... If you don't like traxxas don't come on the forum and hate on it..
    Cars: erevo vxl, 1/16 summit, stampede vxl, tmaxx

I really don't see this as being aimed at kids, I think it is am initial shot across the bow for the scaler market.

I am looking forward to see how companies like JConcepts and Proline respond, hopefully they produce some cool scale bodies to fit the Pede, errrr.... Telluride (Telli?) wheelbase, there aren't many.

This does play into my argument that Traxxas needs to do something about its vehicle names, too many names for vehicles with the same basic drive train.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

PM me if ya wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh PA
    An s600 would be a good replacement for a burnt out titan.
    Wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh ???

RC Qualifier
    When you look at the layout of the whole car, it is a Stampede 4x4 with some Slash wheels and a different body. I love traxxas, but I don't like that it is just another Stampede 4x4. It would even be cheaper to just buy a Pede 4x4 roller and put a cheap brushless combo in it with some cheap tires like from suprasales on ebay (cheap RC Tires).

I think that they wanted to get into this "Trailing" scale trucks, but they should've made something that is more special (like metal chassis and goodies like that) but I think it's just a Pede 4x4 shapeshifted, just like the Rally car is basically a Slash 4x4 LCG with minor differences (bumpers, wheels, body and such).

I like how it looks, but I wouldn't buy one for myself. I'd rather get a summit because you have locking diffs, low speed (for crawling) and high speed (for normal driving and trailing), and it is much bigger (basically 1/7th scale so it gets over rocks and obstacles much easier than this new "telluride".

It is an entry level 4x4. Its supposed to get the price down to be more affordable for the new guy to get involved. If the more experienced people here cant understand that, I dont know what else to say.

We need more people in this hobby, and this truck is just another example of traxxas getting it done. Maybe the best attempt so far...

It is not a pede. There are many changes other than the body and tires. Go take a closer look...
    Last edited by rag6; 08-10-2013 at 09:11 PM.

RC Champion
    Hibernating in my basement, trying to see just how many RC projects i can work on at one time!!
    I think this looks like a great trail truck with the right mods. Lock the diffs, throw in a sensored brushless combo, 2s lipo and get a more sclale looking body for it, and it will be great on the trails. Add some RPM goodies, and some proper trail tires and this would be a winner. You could go in a lot of different directions with this truck. I might just have to get one.....

FLM BL E-MAXX ~ BL E-4TEC Drifter ~ Pro-Trac Slash ~ SCX-10 ~ Wraith ~Custom 6WD Crawler~ 3 Losi micro scalers
    Slash BL-Pede-E 4Tec-FLM EMAXX-Wraith-AX-10-SCX-10

Just hit me. the pede 4wd is not a pede either... its a slash 4wd that was shortened with mt tires. The bandit, stampede and slash 2wd's are all rustys because they share so many parts...

JEEZ...

RC Racer
    The bandit/rustler/stampede all came out at the exact same time when launched in 1993. They use the suspension from the SRT and hawk series from the late 80's. They reused the suspension but developed new chassis' and re-engineered the transmission from the SRT to what they have now. The SRT was an awesome truck so they played off that to make a badger lineup and needless to say, they scored big.

No they did not.

The rustler was released first in 1994... the stampede soon followed in 1994. The bandit was not released until 1995.

but who cares. Traxxas is a much different company than it was then, and continues to improve its market share by releasing vehicles such as the telluride.

RC Champion
    I think it is alright. I'd give it a shot if i didn't already have a stampede 4x4. The name is kind of weird .
    I'm not krazy. My mother had me tested.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
    I really don't see this as being aimed at kids, I think it is am initial shot across the bow for the scaler market.

I am looking forward to see how companies like JConcepts and Proline respond, hopefully they produce some cool scale bodies to fit the Pede, errrr.... Telluride (Telli?) wheelbase, there aren't many.

This does play into my argument that Traxxas needs to do something about its vehicle names, too many names for vehicles with the same basic drive train.
    Can't help but think the same thing about the name/drive trains, well said. Tell U, who me? Yes you, Tell what? Tell u Ride too. I Can Ride. iride. Irisch. Stupish. Dumbed down. No offense. Pok e fun. Now I realize names can be changed and that's not the important spec about the rc vehicle. It does give it a kind of staple, so they seem fine, and does look to be a step in the right direction. Cool trail running idea.

Maybe holding an open forum contest for name design wouldn't be that bad, let the fans of the day pick. On another note it would be bad to the bone to have a locking spring rate shock, so different driving terrain and speed set ups could be switched up on the fly. Instead of spring spacers R&D some type of removable slip cap allowing softer dual rates to be locked in place like the summits locking hubs.
    Last edited by ExpoBond; 08-12-2013 at 06:38 AM.
    Can't drive it, leading me insane, dream it!

RC Racer
    I've been hating on this truck since its release. I have to now admit I was wrong and admit Traxxas hit a home run with this IF it sells for around $225.

My reasoning for this..... Google telluride. I thought the name sounded familiar. Telluride is a trail system in Colorado. It's not a rock crawling area at all. It is a bunch of gravel and dirt roads that people can traverse and enjoy the scenery. A subaru outback could drive the area quite well. This truck is modeled for that and they did a good job.

I still would love to see some NEW vehicles like a solid axle crawler, scaler, or monster truck. Along with a 1/8 buggy, and some purpose built race vehicles like the old SRT and TCP.

RC Qualifier
    I've been to telluride before... It's such a beautiful ski resort in Colorado and its amazing... My favorite ski resort

RC poster
    I'm just happy to see that Traxxas now has a very adjustable body mount system offered on the Telluride that is 100% drop-in for the Pede. This will make is so much easier for getting bodies set to your favorite height. Part #7415X works like the Monster Jam body mount system, but will screw down to the top of shock mounts where the Monster Jam screw to the backs.

daneck
    Last edited by daneck; 08-13-2013 at 07:43 AM. Reason: Typo

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by daneck View Post
    I'm just happy to see that Traxxas now has a very adjustable body mount system offered on the Telluride that is 100% drop-in for the Pede. This will make is so much easier for getting bodies set to your favorite height. Part #7415X works like the Monster Jam body mount system, but will screw down to the top of shock mounts where the Monster Jam screw to the backs.

daneck
    Will that be compatible with the Slash 4x4 too? I want my body raised up super high and to be adjustable!

RC Qualifier
    okay so everyone has chimed in and gave there two cents so here is mine. I like the body original like all other traxxas bodies not manufacture replica of anything but kinda looks like a few actual rigs, and I think it works well with it looks good. As for taking a few parts here and there from other platforms and making a rc out of them and its a 4x4 for under 3 bills, kudos to that, no its not a "scale" trail rig doesn't say it is just a trail rig and its plenty capable of going thru trails and over smaller stuff, doesn't say crawler on it. So all in all I like I think its alright deal maybe not for me but still they brought something else out on a proven platform that is changed up a bit, gee no one else brings out other vehicles using a proven platform lol just every company out there pretty much. So I say its nice price point decent little off road trail basher rig might look into one smaller wheel base squeeze thru places a little better too...Nice Job Traxxas keep it up I like seeing what you come up with
    Last edited by Timber211; 08-13-2013 at 06:47 PM.
    Let's Go Steelers!!!... KCCO

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by revomaxx2223 View Post
    Nope... Not if you drive it the way it's meant to be driven... Not into a wall or curb and jump it properly. In my 3 years with traxxas I've only broken 7 parts on my cars total... I haven't invested in my cars much lol but it is so different from the stampede 4x4. Thicker shafts better diffs new looks skinnier chassy different a arms and much more. The only same thing is wheels chassis design and driveline.... If you don't like traxxas don't come on the forum and hate on it..
    It uses the same chassis as the Stampede 4x4, if you go by the part number, 6722
    Diffs are the standard slash 4x4 diffs with thicker fluid.
    Drive Shafts are the same, just shorter since the arms are shorter.
    Uses a Rally rear body mount and rear bumper
    lol, it uses a plastic center driveshaft, so that would need to be replaced when upgrading the motor system.
    Last edited by Zepher; 08-13-2013 at 09:06 PM.
    ERBE, ERBE, Summit, Slash 4X4, Bandit,

RC Qualifier
    What?!?! Seriously? Oh well I guess it can be upgraded but idk if the Titan will shred the shaft

RC Champion
    I might build me one, I think it looks cool.
    ERBE, ERBE, Summit, Slash 4X4, Bandit,

RC Racer
    If it was a kit I would buy it. I'd love a kit without electronics. Something to build and know its done right and customize as I want during the build.

RC Champion
    For those of you who don't like this stock, get a bandit vxl off of omni models on ebay for around $290, otherwise, just get this and mod it like you would any other truck.
    Slash 4x4 LCG, Rusty VXL(not runnin), and my bike.

Quote Originally Posted by sean1214 View Post
    For those of you who don't like this stock, get a bandit vxl off of omni models on ebay for around $290, otherwise, just get this and mod it like you would any other truck.
    Interesting thought, but I don't get the connection between the Bandit VXL and the Telluride 4x4 except perhaps the selling price.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

This truck erm... um buggy um.... jeep thing is a traxxas salad!

RC poster

New 4x4 body mounts

Seeing how the 4x4 Slash shares the same Shock Mounts it should be a simple drop-in item. Standard 4x4 Slash, 4x4 Stampede, and Telluride are all sharing the same Shock Mounts going with todays downloads of the Exploded view.

Slash 4X4 Platinum (#6804R)

I don't have a don't have a LCG chassis, so can't confirm the part numbers used for the front Shock Mount. The Exploded view for the Platinum is showing the same Shock Mount #6838 used both in the front and rear. This part# is only used on the rear of the 4x4 Stampede (#6839 is the Shock Mount on the front of the 4x4 Stampede.

The Ultimate 4x4 Slash is showing #6839 as the front Shock Mount, and #6838 as the rear Shock Mount. My guess is the Platinum Exploded view part numbers are a typo. If anyone out their can confirm this for everyone interested please help us out.

I'd be willing to bet that this part will be out of stock for some time to come. I'll be keeping an eye on eBay chop-shops for a set, so please don't outbid me. :-)

daneck
    P.S. As a side note...by watching eBay and keeping my bids low, and taking my time to aquire items, I'm preaty close to building a 'dream upgraded Slash' for less then a stock roller would cost. Just waiting for steering/caster blocks and trying to decide on my motor/ESC {Suggestions welcome - actually going to be for my 7yr daughter unless I can trick her into accepting my Pede - 'member...7yr, mostly bashing, various ground types, I'm sure pleanty of trees, fences, walls, curbs, etc...Oh, don't let me forget I expect heavy throttle (even when stuck in deep grass)...I'm sure you get the idea. I plan on gearing it low (13t-10t Pinion) w/54t Spur. I've got a few NiHM for the kids, but 2S LiPO is VERY possible [the kids just love wheelies].

Sorry for the long winded P.S. To avoid hijacking this tread, please feel free to either PM me or start a new thread. Thanks!

Thanks again for any input.
    daneck

RC Qualifier
    Wow, erm, long post above! Hehe

Ok, so I know that it shares a lot of parts from other cars, but I don't think that's such a bad thing. I mean it does what it's supposed to do, 4x4 trail rig, marketed for people to get into the hobby. They started putting traxxas vehicles into Future Shops all across Canada (easier for me to get parts when mine is broken lol) and I think that if they release it before Christmas for around $190-$220, then they can really get people into the hobby! For beginners, they don't need a $1000 MM2 4s MIP Setup, something plain, simple and cheap to buy would be perfect.

The only problem that Traxxas may have (I Think) is that they don't differenciate themselves. Like lets pretend I walk into a Future Shop now, I would look at the $30 and then at the $200 and I'd say "Well man that's an expensive RC, $200 wow! Might as well just get the $30 one" because a lot of people don't know the difference. They need to show people true capabilities and what they can do, otherwise all people see is the price tag!

I don't LOVE the telluride, I think it's an ok beginner car. My first car was a stock Rustler XL-5, and I think it was a great beginners car. I've moved on to a high powered 3s Slash 4x4 since then, but it was a cheap first buy ($250) but I think it was a great beginners car, which is what the telluride can be if they put it at the right price and do the right marketing.

Sorry for just going off on you guys like that, I've been giving the Telluride a lot of thought recently because it's just so "different" from what Traxxas usually makes so I thought I'd come and post my thoughts here!

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post
    Interesting thought, but I don't get the connection between the Bandit VXL and the Telluride 4x4 except perhaps the selling price.
    I'm trying to say that is they are not one to be satisfied with a brushed truck, you can get a Bandit VXL for the same price.
    Slash 4x4 LCG, Rusty VXL(not runnin), and my bike.