RC Competitor

Is the rally 4x4 a good rc car to put a 2200 kv motor in and try 100 mph speed runs

I have a rustler and I have an xo 1 and yes I know the xo1 does 100 mph with ease but im interested in actually trying to build an rc car to go fast and I was wondering if the rally 4x4 would be a good choice to build on and place a bigger size motor in I see a lot of people do it with rustlers but I see the motor is so big (2200kv) and it looks like you have to add a lot of weight but I was wondering if the chassis on a rally would be better for this experiment please let me know your advice thanks

RC Turnbuckle Jr. humayrayakongkinaon's Avatar
    a rally car can be fun if dialed right for speed run and 2200 motor drop right in with room for the ESC next to it. a good set of onroad wheels/tires like sweep or GRP even XO-1 as you know are capable of accepting high speed run without blowing over eventhough some has but that's part of the game or hobby
    here's mine on MMM/2200 running on 4s only.
    | Rally GT8 Powered By CC |

RC Competitor
    that car looks sweet....how did you convert it to the gt8?? it almost looks like an xo1...so did you get up to 100 mph when you put the motor in your rally?? did you have to do any other converting to get the bigger tires to fit on the rally??

Quote Originally Posted by Hellrazor2012 View Post
    that car looks sweet....how did you convert it to the gt8?? it almost looks like an xo1...so did you get up to 100 mph when you put the motor in your rally?? did you have to do any other converting to get the bigger tires to fit on the rally??

the list can go on and on but this pics might gives you an idea

I have not break the 100mph yet but I did run it on 6s at one time and its crazy fast at half throttle.

RC Champion
    It's a great platform for speed. Move the shocks out as far as possible, get stiffer springs, and sway bars, and it's a great start to a planted speed vehicle.

I have a slash 4x4 LCG with a MM2/2650 combo. When I want to do street and speed runs, I take the body off, put on a rally front and rear bumper, put on some old body mount posts, stiffen and lower the suspension, and raise the gearing. It's very planted, and any flips just beat up the old body posts. I've had it up to 80 so far with no issues, and that's plenty fast for me. I'm sure that if I get it up above that much more, it'll require better aerodynamics and tires.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by humayrayakongkinaon View Post
    the list can go on and on but this pics might gives you an idea

I have not break the 100mph yet but I did run it on 6s at one time and its crazy fast at half throttle.
    That is one sweet custom build you have going!

Quote Originally Posted by ViperZ View Post
    That is one sweet custom build you have going!
    thanks ViperZ, I sure had fun building it, I have a build thread that is 9 pages long but, I run out of idea that I deleted most of the pics (photobucket was acting weird at that time so I started deleting them). I haven't touched it yet due to other project LOL.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by humayrayakongkinaon View Post
    thanks ViperZ, I sure had fun building it, I have a build thread that is 9 pages long but, I run out of idea that I deleted most of the pics (photobucket was acting weird at that time so I started deleting them). I haven't touched it yet due to other project LOL.
    That's too bad, I love looking at photos of others cool projects. I'll still need to go look it up. Interested in your "other project"

RC Champion
    What's everyone using for batteries with the MM2 2200/2680 set-up? I would like to stay with a 4s packs rather than 6s just because I have many high capacity 4s packs.

RC Champion
    I'm using a 4S 4000mah 40C right now.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Jws1982 View Post
    I'm using a 4S 4000mah 40C right now.
    Sweet, exactly the person I was wondering about 80mph for a Rally car is pretty good in my books. What gears are you running?

I was considering the MMM2 & 1512 2650 as the power plant for my upcoming Rally Build.

RC Champion
    20/36 mod1 right now. I can put 24/36 in there. I've heard some people say they can get a 25t spur in there, but I can't without the mesh being too tight. Maybe they were using a smaller spur from another company.

So, as of now, it's at 20/36, MM2/2650, 4S, XO-1 tires, and no body. Man, does it fly. If I can find a good location (and the bravery to do it), I'm going to go up to 24/36 and try 5S and 6S to see what it'll do. Id love to hit 100 or more.

RC Champion
    Awesome, thanks! Those seem like some pretty small Spur gears going form a stock Slash 54 to a 36...?

Also why do you run without a body?

RC Champion
    54t is 32-pitch gears. In using mod1 (24-pitch) gears. It has larger teeth. The 36t is the smallest spur traxxas makes that will work with the slipper clutch.

I run no body because i don't have an appropriate one, and it handles great without it. I have some old beat-up body posts I use for protection in case it flips, but it rarely does.

RC Champion
    Ahh I missed the part where thy are a bigger pitch gear.

No worries on the body, I was just wondering

RC Champion
    I'd considered trying a rally body, but they just look to large and thin to stand up to 70+ mph wind.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Jws1982 View Post
    I'd considered trying a rally body, but they just look to large and thin to stand up to 70+ mph wind.
    Hmmm.... I guess I'll find out as i just ordered the MM2 1512 2650kv for the Rally build. I have the Pro-Line Ford Focus or the Rally body I was going to use.

RC Champion
    Let me know how it does with those bodies. If the rally body really does hold up, I'll consider it.

RC Champion
    Will do, I'll be sure to post it in my thread., and here when I get there.