RC Enthusiast

Should I get the slayer?

My budget it 450 500 bucks and I'm looking into getting a nitro. Is the slayer a good car? I want something to drive on the street with and be able to take it bashing like in the mountains and stuff. I want something a little higher off the ground but a tmaxx looks like a alot of work cause my neighbor has one and his is always broken. So what rc should I get.

RC Qualifier
    How about a revo? You will have more ground clearance than the slayer. and i hear they are very durable

The Slayer is a great truck, with sway bars added. They are a MUST IMO. They are a ton of fun on the street, and in dirt. They tend to get stuck in grass though... Also, you can convert them to a Revo with just few parts.

EDIT: ^ I think josh is right, a Revo sounds like it would be better for what your looking for.
    Sl2sh Slayer Summit Sl4sh Teton/Rally T-Maxx Pnde

RC Enthusiast
    How much is a revo? And if I buy the slayer could I raise it?

How much is a revo? And if I buy the slayer could I raise it?
    The Revo is normally about $600-$550. Yes, if you bought the Slayer you could convert it to a Revo with just a few part swaps.
    Oh, here's a link to what the Revo normally costs.

http://www.rcplanet.com/Traxxas_Revo..._p/tra5309.htm

RC Enthusiast
    I can get the revo for $509 and the slayer for $387

I can get the revo for $509 and the slayer for $387
    New?!? Wow, nice. Ya, I'd get the Revo.

RC Enthusiast
    Yea on towerhobbies they have coupons like if you spend over 500 bucks get 70 off

RC Enthusiast
    Oh and if I get the slayer could I raise it so its higher off the ground?

RC Racer
    Only if you converted it to a revo.. and most of the height would be from the tire size difference. Not all but most.
    T-MAXX 2.5R
    Slayer Pro
    Revo
    Monster Pirate

RC Enthusiast
    Oh I think I am getting a slayer cause its cheaper then ill have extra money for upgrades and stuff like that

RC Qualifier
    They are basically the same truck. If you get the Revo suspension parts to convert it you can go from a sct to monster truck and back whenever the mood strikes you.

I haven't looked recently, but if there is that big of a price difference between the two, then yes, get the Slayer and purchase the parts off some chop shops or other sources to make it into a Revo. Consult the exploded views of each through the Support tab above.
    The Super Derecho

RC Competitor
    You have difficult chosen between slayer and revo. the both very good trucks. I`m chose slayer, without explanation. But revo have more performance parts, like steel shafts etc. like this http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trks...at=0&_from=R40. Why? Traxxas haven`t represent steel shafts for slayer.
    Last edited by Alexsy; 08-08-2013 at 01:03 AM.
    I like the technical beauty!

RC Racer
    My friend has a slayer pro and i had a revo.. My revo ran laps around him. All day. I would never get a slayer. Buy used, preferably a roller and throw in a good motor like an os18. Nitro I'd fun but not cheap. I switched to 5th scale and pretty much saved the cost of the truck in one summer not having to buy nitro lol

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

RC Competitor
    the starter of thread have not money on 1/5 model.

RC Enthusiast
    So try to get a used revo cheap then add what I want to it?

RC Racer
    Thats the route I always go. I try to find something cheap. When you buy used, you should exclude the engine in the price. To me any used rc has no engine because I can't trust it. So I include that in my price, unless I know the person. But you can build a great truck with less money than a new one if you do it smart.

RC Enthusiast
    K when I sell my ps3 and have some extra money ill go and buy one. I'll try to find a good deal

RC Competitor
    growing

RC Racer
    And about not having enough money to go to 5th scale.. I am picking up a baja 5sc for 400 tomorrow, apparently run 3 tanks. I got my revo with a new 3.3 for 175 last year. I hated the 3.3 so i put a cheap motor in for 100 bucks and had a blast and sold it for 300. So yeah you just have to keep an eye out.

RC Qualifier
    I would prefer the Revo over the Slayer. it is more money but its definitely a better basher.

The Revo goes over any terrain with relative ease. IMO SC trucks are not good bashers. I know people buy and own them all over the world, I was never happy with them as a basher.

ou2mame - the 1/5 scale SC and Buggys are expensive no matter how you look at it... I have owned them as well and regretted it. You need a HUGE place to run it, if it is the SS version or has a tuned pipe its as loud as a dirtbike, the wheels/tires are crazy expensive. I constantly had the shock shafts pulling out of the lower shock mount and guess what, EXPENSIVE part..
    Traxxas please sell kits!

RC Qualifier
    Which truck that is best just depends on the person and what they're wanting to do with it. In tall grass and very rough terrain the Revo will perform better. At the track and on the street the Slayer handles better. As far as power and speed they're the same, that's determined by gears, tires, fuel and how well you can tune it. I've drag raced my Revo and Slayer a few times and it's always a pretty even race.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Racer83L View Post
    I would prefer the Revo over the Slayer. it is more money but its definitely a better basher.

The Revo goes over any terrain with relative ease. IMO SC trucks are not good bashers. I know people buy and own them all over the world, I was never happy with them as a basher.

ou2mame - the 1/5 scale SC and Buggys are expensive no matter how you look at it... I have owned them as well and regretted it. You need a HUGE place to run it, if it is the SS version or has a tuned pipe its as loud as a dirtbike, the wheels/tires are crazy expensive. I constantly had the shock shafts pulling out of the lower shock mount and guess what, EXPENSIVE part..
    All you needed was shock limiter straps, something you can make for 5 dollars. Wheels and tires? Full set of paddles, 80 bucks on ebay. You think revo wheels and tires are any cheaper? 60 bucks gets you 8mm shock shafts all around. I know I just bought some. 15 bucks also gets you a silencer. Makes it quieter than a revo. I know I have one :-) you just did it all wrong i guess

RC Racer
    Oh and the bottom shock mount coming out, i had that happen once, i just put a dab of Jb weld in there. When you buy bigger shafts you get bigger mounts for the bottom.

RC Qualifier
    I always wanted a 1/5 scale buggy, but there's no where to run one around here. If we had a motocross track I would get one. My Slayer is perfect for the tracks I do have to drive on. And my Revo is good for everywhere else off road.

RC Racer
    Yeah they do require more space. Like I said I loved the revo, but i mainly am in the sand.. Beach and dirt bike trails and whatnot.. A lot of open sand. So the revo just didn't have the weight.

RC Enthusiast
    My T-maxx has been great!! I've had some pretty severe flips and rolls that I really thought would break it but have yet to do so. Love the ground clearance of it.

RC Racer
    I have a tmaxx 2.5 and its the most low maintenance car i have