Thread: Best wax ever

RC Enthusiast

Best wax ever

Actually it is a polymer based wax called liquid glass. It comes in a gold can. When applied it formed a thin super slick plastic shell that is bonded to whatever you apply it to. Extremely durable and long lasting. I used to use it back when I was racing cars. It was incredible if you applied it to your wheels it would keep brake dust from sticking. It was the best out of everything we tried (and we tried everything ). On the hull it left a super slick and shiny coating that sheds water like nothing else. Every curve and body line now reflect light like a diamond.

RC Qualifier
    In cali we use a different kinda wax cough cough

Waxing everything above the waterline to keep her pretty is a good thing, but waxing anything else won't help the boat's speed any (if that's what you're after). In fact, waxing a hull can slow it down because the water beading up causes increased friction. In full-size offshore powerboat racing, they actually sand the hulls of the boats. The sanding helps to break the surface tension with the water, thus reducing drag.

Socalirevo: Not sure I follow, but I'm not from Cali!
    "Happiness depends upon ourselves." -Aristotle

RC Qualifier
    No one sands their hulls that I know of. Not everyone waxes them but that's mostly because we are lazy. Maybe in another kind of offshore powerboat racing?

I can assure you that there are many who do. I once had it explained to me by drawing a comparison between boating and golf. Golf balls are dimpled because it allows them to travel longer distances. The rough surface of the golf ball breaks the surface tension with the air which reduces drag and results in a longer distance traveled; the same concept applies to a boat's hull and the water it travels over.

I'm not saying that you should go and take some 60 grit sand paper and a random orbit sander to your hull, don't get me wrong. But taking some finer (600+) sand paper and carefully sanding the hull lengthwise has been shown to result in the fastest speeds. You can run an Internet search for it if you'd like more information; I did years ago when I didn't believe that sanding a hull could be faster. After I was done reading, I was convinced that my initial inclination was incorrect.

Happy boating,

-cooleo

PS: It's worth noting that this may all be a moot point, however, given that it would be very hard to measure the difference with a R/C boat.
    "Happiness depends upon ourselves." -Aristotle

RC Qualifier
    I'll ask around next race. Any boat I've seen rigged was sanded out to like 1000 and buffed. I can't say there isn't a boat out there that doesn't but none do that I know of and that's more than 3/4 of the teams. They do use stepped hulls to aerate the hull and now people are using "sharks teeth" to break surface tension but not scuffed hulls that I know of. Any boat in particular you know of that does this?

RC Racer
    There is a lot of belief out there that a slightly rougher surface is faster than a smooth surface; however, the rough surface usually has to be of a certain design. Fish are made for the water and they are not all smooth on the outside. Their scales help reduce drag. Companies design professional swimsuits to try and replicate the skin of sharks. They design these Olympic swimsuits with tiny triangles and other shapes to produce less drag in the water. Now in real offshore race boats, I can't say if they do or don't roughen the bottom of the boat, but I'm sure it's been tried. Chances are that the results were/are very minimal. In our RC boats, you'd never notice it. You won't notice the difference if you wax the bottom either, but I wouldn't. Waxing the bottom of a boat will make it slower. Again, it would be so minimal that you would not notice it being slower, but the waxed surface will create more surface area and resistance. It will slightly heat the hull up as well. Being that any of these methods would be undetectable in our sport, I say do what makes you happy!