RC poster

Traxxas Villian Lipo Conversion

Hello, i just got a villian ex and have been thinking about seting it up to run 2 2s lipo batteries. I am looking for increased runtime more than power increases. right now i use 2 venum 3600 nimh batteries and i only get 10-15 minutes. I have been searching and searching for some instructions on how to do this correctly. I have purchased a(1) Novac 2s low voltage cuttoff module, but an uncertin how to install it. This model is the 14.4 V with dual batteries and only one esc. I have been on forums that say you need 2 of them, and i have been on other forums that say one is ample. can anyone tell me how to do this correctly so i can rest easy knowing that i wont wreck 2 $65 batteries?

Any help you can give me would be much appreciated. Thanks.

RC Champion
    the batteries are going to be wired the same.. Not sure of the lipo cuttoff module.. I am not a fan of them in a boat or worse in helicopter which I fly as well.. When they cut off, they stop.. Hope you like to swim. A better solution is a visual lipo battery monitor.. I run these on my Villain and they are lit blue with good voltage and will blink red when the battery gets lower and go to solid red when the battery is around 3.3 volts.. you only need one on the balance lead of one battery. I've run these for a long while and never had a problem.. Just out of curiosity, what is the Mah rating of your lipo's? You want at least 5000mah and if possible higher.. Brushed motors are not very efficient and run times suffer.
    Maxx3.3/ rusty5700/ slash3800/ slash5700 /4tec3.3

RC poster
    Well that makes since to me. Can you attach a link? all i can find are the ones you plug into the battery to check.

As for the batteries, i was thinking about ordering 2 of these. http://www.ebay.com/itm/111071323456

How long do you think the 2s's would run the boat? should i think about doing the water cooling for the added run time? How hot is 2 hot for those motors (stock 550's) Sorry for all the questions i just want to make sure that i keep it running.

Thanks

RC Champion
    here is the kind I run.. Not sure if the brand is the same, but they all work the same.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/USA-Ship-Hob...item416aee676e

I don't know anything about those batteries, they are cheap enough, but you can get better batteries for alot less than that. I won't spend more than $35 for a set of 2S lipo's.. especially in a non racing boat. Water cooling won't really increase your run time, but it will allow you to run longer without cooking the motors.. How hot is too hot? Brushed motors can run hotter than Brushless, but to a point. If you have a temp gun see what it says.. If not, can you hold your finger on the motor for more than 3-4 seconds.. If not you are getting hot.. Temp guns are the preferred method.. I would try and keep brushed motors under 200 degrees.. brushless must be under 180 degrees... Water cooling is easy to do, traxxas even makes a nice little kit complete with everything you need for the job.. I build my own, but its not really that much different.

RC poster
    Thanks for all of your help. What batteries do you recomend? got a link for the ones you are talking about?

Thanks again!

RC Champion
    Due to forum regulations I can't post a link to the batteries that I love to run. There are many out there that work fine and the cost is reasonable. SPC comes to mind as well as a few others.