RC Enthusiast

Upgrading BRUSHED motors...

I have a 7.2V Villain. I have ordered new props (just the plastic EX props) for it and also want to upgrade the motors. I have liquid cooling in place already for motors and ESC. I am looking at the Atomik Fireball motors in either 19 or 21 turn... I believe the 19 turn motor is the lowest the XL-10M ESC is rated for. I am just running NiMH batteries, I have some 7.2 and some 8.4v packs that are from 3000mAh to 5000mAh. The boat is just for fun with my kids on the intracoastal waterway by my house so I don't want to spend the money upgrading everything to brushless or LiPo... (We also have a Slash, 2 Rustlers and 2 Stampedes so everything shares batteries!)

Also, the boat still has the stock pinion gears- 14T I believe. I've read that these may need to be changed to 12T?

Thoughts? I'm ready to pull the trigger on new motors, just can't decide which to buy! I've been researching online and in the forums for days, but most have gone brushless or the threads are so old links are dead or the recommended products are no longer available!

RC Champion
    Your gearing well be just fine and as fare as the motor go i always had good luck with the stinger stock motors , last for ever . If you want just a little more speed go to 8.4v batteries . you can get most parts off ebay cheep . jmo
    1 Rusty VXL

RC Champion
    I'll say I was in the same situation as you when I first got mine years ago. The stock motors although not very powerfull did last a long time. I've tried other hotter brushed motors, but they didn't work as well even with water cooling. I went brushless for a while, but the boat isn't designed for that and was too difficult to drive and it wasn't fun anymore. I know many love pure speed and I do as well, but not at the expense of swimming after a flipped boat. I finally settled on a later stock type setup.. I run twin 12T 550's and an Esavage ESC. All is watercooled. I also run dual 3S lipo's as well.. the speed is good around 25mph or so, but its just a good solid platform.
    Maxx3.3/ rusty5700/ slash3800/ slash5700 /4tec3.3

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks for the replies. My new EX props came today, but unfortunately the right prop was damaged in shipping and a blade is cracked! Still trying to decide what to do about motors and/or ESC. I'm surprised at how expensive the EVX ESC is, can't hardly find a good used one anywhere! Anyone upgraded their EX to brushless power and want to part with the original ESC?

RC Racer
    Check to marketplace. There is one for sale.

E-Maxx. Spartan. 4x4 slash. 2x4 slash x 3. Mini revo and summit
    E-Maxx kershaw 700`s 4x2 slash 4x4 slash vxl

RC Racer
    Search for villain upgrades

E-Maxx. Spartan. 4x4 slash. 2x4 slash x 3. Mini revo and summit

RC Champion
    You can also use the land version EVX2 I did and it work just fine , only thing between them one is water cooled and one is not . Just a thought .
    1 Rusty VXL

RC Enthusiast
    I bought the one from the marketplace- going to throw in some Titan 12T motors and call it a day!

12T Titans with the EVX ESC? That's not going to work so well. The 12T Titans are 6 volt motors whereas the Marine Titans are 12 volt motors. Running 12T Titans with an EVX will be doubling the motor's rated voltage (translation: your motors will not last long).

My recommendation would be to pick up a set of Marine Titans; then you can call it a day.
    "Happiness depends upon ourselves." -Aristotle

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by cooleocool View Post
    12T Titans with the EVX ESC? That's not going to work so well. The 12T Titans are 6 volt motors whereas the Marine Titans are 12 volt motors. Running 12T Titans with an EVX will be doubling the motor's rated voltage (translation: your motors will not last long).

My recommendation would be to pick up a set of Marine Titans; then you can call it a day.
    Fair enough. Seems like a bad idea to have called two different motors by the same name, but I'll make sure to get the right ones! Anyone got a pair laying around?

RC Champion
    You can get them off ebay pretty cheep , http://www.ebay.com/itm/Traxxas-1585...item43b2f37364 two well run u 30.64 thats with shipping .
    Last edited by rhardy60; 08-07-2013 at 10:55 AM.
    1 Rusty VXL

RC Champion
    Disco Fever... another great upgrade I forgot to mention to you is upgrade the props. I run carbon props from Offshore electrics designed for the Villain. They made a huge difference in performance. They are not cheap and not readily available, but worth the wait. They also are sold with new shafts and hardware for mounting. The EX props are OK, but not very aggressive for the boat.

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks, I was thinking about that as well. I had read elsewhere that the carbon props w/ upgraded shafts and graupner u-joints all helped to make a big difference. I filled out the form at OSE to be notified when they become available.

Looking forward now to getting the new ESC, motors & props on and then seeing how it does!

RC Champion
    thats what I did a couple of years ago.. The props still look new and they have alot of use since then. I got the shafts and the u-joints as well.. The reason for the wait is they are custom made to order. Usually doesn't take too long. You will be happy with the results... so much better than stock.

RC Enthusiast
    OKAY--- So, I got the EVX-2 Marine ESC from the marketplace and some new Titan Marine 550's from HopMeUp on eBay. About to get everything put together and looking forward to putting this thing on the water Friday and over the weekend...

QUESTION: Most of my batteries are 8.4v. I know the newer EVX-2 ESC says it can handle 16.8v, can this old one I have handle 16.8v? I actually only have 2 7.2v packs, and they're old... I'm thinking it'll probably be fine with the 16.8v, especially with all the water cooling, but don't want to fry the ESC and be dead in the water!

Thanks guys, you've all been a huge help!

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Disco_Fever View Post
    OKAY--- So, I got the EVX-2 Marine ESC from the marketplace and some new Titan Marine 550's from HopMeUp on eBay. About to get everything put together and looking forward to putting this thing on the water Friday and over the weekend...

QUESTION: Most of my batteries are 8.4v. I know the newer EVX-2 ESC says it can handle 16.8v, can this old one I have handle 16.8v? I actually only have 2 7.2v packs, and they're old... I'm thinking it'll probably be fine with the 16.8v, especially with all the water cooling, but don't want to fry the ESC and be dead in the water!

Thanks guys, you've all been a huge help!
    You should be fine as long as it's the evx2 esc Marine or EVX2 land version well be fine anything else NO you can not run 16.8 , The props hv been on BK for over a yr now , so good luck on that .
    1 Rusty VXL

anything else NO you can not run 16.8
    People used to run 14 cells with the older EVX all of the time. Heck, Traxxas even published a how-to on building 7 cell battery packs for the E-Maxx and advertised on the E-Maxx box that the 30+ MPH speed claim was with 14 cells.

RC Enthusiast
    Well, everything is in and operating properly but I haven't had a chance to put the boat in the water due to stormy weather here in NE FL...

As an aside, if anyone has or knows of any old Villains (IV, EX, etc.) for sale, running or not, I'd be interested.

Cheers!

Got two here, but I'm not letting go of them!

Glad to hear you've got it back together again. I look forward to hearing about how she runs. I remember when I re-powered one of my Villains--what a difference!

RC Champion
    I have one that I keep toying with selling but same as Cooleocool.. I can't seem to part with it. I've had it for many years, changed it around quite a bit and somehow got attached to it... LOL

RC Racer
    I would like to buy a villain if someone wants to sell one

E-Maxx. Spartan. 4x4 slash. 2x4 slash x2 Mini revo and summit, and a blast and a nitro 4-tec