RC Enthusiast

Receiver Batteries

Finished engine break-in yesterday with my new Nitro Slash. I will say I'm very impressed with this truck. However after about 8 tanks of fuel I'm already sick of AA batteries. I would like to upgrade to a hump pack for the receiver and would like some advice on what to go with. Which pack, which charger etc. Also interested in modifying the transmitter to use a rechargeable pack as well if anyone has done that. Thanks in advance!

Standard AA batteries will last a long time in the transmitter so you can keep those. Otherwise you'll be running 4.8v versus 6.0v. Head to Wal-Mart and pick up a pack of 24 for $14; if I recall Home Depot had a better deal for 36 for around $15 but that was a while ago (I have kids and their toys go through a lot of batteries!).
    Just check out the Traxxas hump pack as it should work (I don't have a Slash but assume since the AA pack is about the same size) or you could get any other hump pack at that same size.
    The Super Derecho

RC Enthusiast
    Yeah I meant modifying the transmitter to use a 5 cell as well. Obviously won't fit in the tray but I'd attach it to the bottom somehow. I'd rather use 5 cells for both that way I can charge my ez start battery, rx battery and transmitter battery the night before I run and be ready to go. I'm paranoid of runaways, had that happen in the past. The receiver that came with this truck says it has failsafe built in but I've already had it run away once after 5 tanks with new AA's.

RC Qualifier
    With the 2.4ghz radio and a throttle return spring, runaways are a thing of the past.

RC Enthusiast
    Well then it should come with a throttle return spring because like I said above, happened to me after 5 tanks.

RC poster
    Just got my slash an the hump pack was the first thing i did to it before even firing it up.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by 08tbss View Post
    Just got my slash an the hump pack was the first thing i did to it before even firing it up.
    So which pack do you use? How much run time do you get with it? And which charger do you charge it with? Thanks.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Ball View Post
    With the 2.4ghz radio and a throttle return spring, runaways are a thing of the past.
    sooo this truck has a throttle return spring for returning the throttle to idle if you loose power?

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by kongluc View Post
    sooo this truck has a throttle return spring for returning the throttle to idle if you loose power?
    No. It does not come with one. And a 2.4ghz radio doesnt mean anything when your receiver batteries die. It will however be less likely to run away due to outside interference.
    Nitro Slash 3.3

RC poster
    so would something like one of those springs that wrap around the head work or is there a special spring you could purchase?

RC poster
    nope no springs just a kill switch from killer rc (found someone else to answer it for me?

RC Competitor
    Rechargeable AA's work great for me. Most these days are 2000mah or better and they last for hours and hours and...well you get the picture. As far as a receiver battery goes any brand name will work just get one with the highest Mah rating you can find if you're worried about them lasting for a decent amount of time. I never kill my battery because i usually hook it up to the charger when I'm making repairs and that keeps it pretty well topped off.

RC Enthusiast
    I saw a failsafe that claims it will put servo at desired setting with loss of signal or power. Any body use one and have it work. I've had some runaways too. The last one cost me a new 3.3. Do they work?

RC poster
    My first set of AA batteries just died after a gallon of fuel, during that time my on/off switch went bad right after the break in, it was probably my 3rd tank after break in and the cat took off wide open on Me and hit a fence. Replaced the switch, no problems

Sent from within the beaver

RC Enthusiast
    I ended up getting a Bias 6V 1600mAh NiMH 5-cell from Atomik RC. $12.99 Im going to use a jumper that has a female Tamiya style connector on one side and a female Futaba J on the other side to charge it with my EZ-Start charger.
    Nitro Slash 3.3