RC Enthusiast

Can't get the Jato to turn over

I am a complete NOOB to Nitro and am trying to get my buddies Jato working right for him.

It has sat for at least six months. It has new fuel and fuel lines and the glow plug is verified to be operating properly working.

I am using a fresh EZ starter as well.

At first it would crank but would not catch. Now it won't even crank. I thought maybe it got flooded so I pulled the glow plug, flipped it upside down and cranked it....it turned over fine during this. After I put the glow plug back in it still wouldn't turn over. Thoughts? Maybe I tightened to glow plug to much?

Also, before he let it sit his initial complaint was that it would fire up but wouldn't move. He was told by a LHS that he had a bad OWB. Only OWB I have found so far is in the easy start system, am i missing one in one of the gears? After my research I am thinking more like a slipper clutch or a spring that I've been reading about. Unfortunately I can't get it started to verify the issue yet.....lol

RC Qualifier
    The only time my Jato won't start is when the owb on the starter is dirty, I just take it out and spray it with WD-40. 1st gear also has a owb on the output shaft that allows 2nd gear to spin the shaft faster than 1st gear can go.

RC Enthusiast
    What makes me think it isn't the starter OWB is that it will turn over without the glow plug installed.....but won't with it?? Is that a normal symptom of the starter OWB?

And OK to the OWB in the transmission. Is that the only one that could prevent it from moving once it is started?

Thanks for the response.

RC Qualifier
    Yes that is a normal symptom of a dirty owb, but it's not the only problem that can be associated with that symptom. It could also be a stripped gear in the easy start, or the starter motor getting weak, or even a bad wiring connection to the starter motor. Usually when it's the owb it will start to turn the engine over once or twice and then stop like it's flooded.

Though that is the only owb in the transmission, again it's not the only problem that can be associated with that symptom. It could be a stripped gear, a broken shaft, a broken pin that holds a gear to a shaft, or even a bad bearing that's not allowing the gears to mesh properly in the trans. I've also seen a few people loose the pin behind the slipper clutch. The only problems I've personally had inside my Jato's trans is a broken main shaft and quite a few stripped 1st gears. I've since fixed my gear stripping problem with steel gears. It could also be a stripped wheel hex, which I have had many times.
    Last edited by Mark Ball; 08-03-2013 at 12:51 AM. Reason: Remembered something else.

RC Enthusiast
    So I got it started. Didn't do anything beyond what I already did...I just decided to try one more time...and it started!! Idled a bit high but OK.

Gave it some gas and off it went!! I've put five tanks through it now without a sign of the issue my friend described. I asked him how many tanks has he run through it and he said at the MOST seven. I think he was experiencing some break in pains and didn't have it tuned well enough to over come that at low throttle. Running pretty dang decent right now...though the front right shock was shot and one of the left front turn buckles was bent. Replaced those tonight and will start working on getting a tune done.

Thanks for the input.

RC poster
    how do you keep jat down does wheelies to easy

RC Enthusiast
    Idk....haven't had a chance to start tuning this thing. It needs a lot of space for how fast it is and that isn't readily available here.