RC poster

Unhappy Motor or ESC problems?

I received the Blast boat for Christmas. I used it the first time on a lake and it got stuck on reeds. The prop got wrapped and it would not work. In retrieving it the boat got submerged. So I checked the forums and determined that the ESC was burned out. I replaced the ESC and it worked fine. Took it to a reservoir for the second trial and it worked fine. I stopped after about 15 minutes to put in a fresh battery. Now the rudder moves but the motor does not. I tried recharging both batteries and neither will make the motor run. The shaft spins freely and the ESC lights up green when I throttle up. Is the motor burned out or could it be the ESC again?

Try connecting a battery directly to the motor; this will tell you if the motor is toast or not. Be sure to disconnect the drive shaft, though, as you wouldn't want to get hit by the spinning propeller (or just make sure to steer clear of the prop when it's spinning)!
    "Happiness depends upon ourselves." -Aristotle

RC poster
    I tried that and the motor didn't run. I ordered a replacement Stinger from Traxxas. From reading the reviews, it seems that this motor is achieving only a couple hours total running time before replacement. Is there a more robust replacement? Or should I just order the motors a dozen at a time?

What battery packs are you running (voltage and capacity)? Also, are you running a water cooling kit?

RC poster
    Running the standard 6 battery pack and yes it is water cooled. I received a new motor from Traxxas and installed it over this weekend. The Blast is working fine now. Should I only run it for brief periods and let it cool down in between? With the cover on or off? It does get extremely hot. When I took it out of the water some of the water in the cooling tube dripped onto my foot and scalded it. Is that normal?

The Stinger is a hot-running motor, that is why I asked about the water cooling. Have you noticed if you have a constant stream of water flowing out of the water cooling outlet? It's probably a stretch, but a clogged system could lead to an overheating motor.

That said, what is the capacity of your battery packs? What is the ambient temperature when you're typically running the boat? High ambient temperatures and / or long run times (a result of using high-capacity batteries) can lead to a hot motor. At the very least, you need to be sure to let your motor cool down between battery packs. I wouldn't recommend running the boat without the hatch.