RC poster

stripped wheel issues

I am running on 3S and keep stripping rear wheels. I stripped a factory wheel fairly quick(maybe a week or so) so I bought a set of trenchers on Desperado wheels. Ok, this weekend was the first time out using them and after about 10-15 minutes I stripped the right rear wheel. The nut did not back off, the wheel stripped out and came of the vehicle with the nut still tight. I was in both grass and dry dirt when this happened. No jumps involved. What am I doing wrong for this to happen or should I use a different setup?

I would replace the hex drive and consider upgrading to aluminum hex drive. Also check your slipper clutch if it is so tight it is not slipping at all that could be adding to the problem.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC poster
    I am running MIP axles on the rear. Thanks, I will check and readjust the clutch tonight.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by blackmagic View Post
    I am running on 3S and keep stripping rear wheels. I stripped a factory wheel fairly quick(maybe a week or so) so I bought a set of trenchers on Desperado wheels. Ok, this weekend was the first time out using them and after about 10-15 minutes I stripped the right rear wheel. The nut did not back off, the wheel stripped out and came of the vehicle with the nut still tight. I was in both grass and dry dirt when this happened. No jumps involved. What am I doing wrong for this to happen or should I use a different setup?
    Use Aluminium Hexes and tight the wheel the tightest it goes, I did that and it fixed that problem. I had stripped 4 wheels and after I did this I haven't stripped any.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by blackmagic View Post
    I am running MIP axles on the rear. Thanks, I will check and readjust the clutch tonight.
    I had the same problem with mip axles on the right rear. For me, the issue was actually the mip hex. As shown in the picture below, the edges on the hex rounded out.

Stampede 4x4
    Anza Slash VXL
    Rustler VXL

RC Racer
    Hmm, that's interesting that the hex itself rounded out!

RC poster
    I will check the hex to make sure it hasn't started rounding off. What I couldn't understand was why the tire and wheel went flying off the vehicle with the nut still on and tight. It literally rounded off inside the wheel and fell off.

If they are rounded off give matt from mip an email and see if they can help you out.I have the older style with pins so I use aluminium hex and they have been put in the wheels with epoxy rubber resin and have not stripped since and that's with my torque happy tenshock motor on 3s.....peace
    Famous last words...watch this!!!!

RC Racer
    Mine did the exact same thing until I got alu. hexes.

RC Enthusiast
    Even with the most powerful motor I have, regular plastic hex adapters, blue threadlocker and tight the serrated nuts all the way down never gave me any more stripping issues. 3674 motor + 3S = Standing Backflip Torque Moster.

Yeah that's why I am not in a hurry to go 17 mm yet until I get my X802 6pole......peace

RC Racer
    I have been having the same issue with the right rear wheel with mip x duty shaft.

does traxxas make the alu hex ?

RC Champion
    Mip hexes used to be rounded like that. Now, they're normal. They'll replace the rounded ones for you if you contact them.

Part 1654X is the blue alum 12mm hex from Traxxas. The problem I had with mine was over torqueing the wheel nut. It would deform the plastic rim and quickly strip out. Make sure the wheel nut is tight but don't go gruella on it. If the wheel nuts start to back off on their own then change them with new ones. Over time the nylon insert can go bad, allowing the nut to back off easily.

RC Racer
    +1 on what TireSlinger said - People definitely tend to over tighten nuts, which cause even more problem with warping etc.

I use 1654x aluminium hex and they are very well made and if you use the upgraded nuts 1747r on top of that its a sweet combo with a dab of blue threadlock........peace

RC Racer
    spenniepoos: 1747r do they just look better or really is better ?

They grab the wheel much better so less chance of coming lose because of the serrated edges.I use them all the time and are better than stock.......peace

RC poster
    I looked at my "hexes' last night, they are they are the ones that came with my MIP axles. They appear to be metal with a set screw on the side to hold it in, and they don't appear to be rounded off any but the point on the one that I stripped is shiny but I was figuring that is from where it was rotating in the wheel. [IMG]

RC poster
    How do you post pictures here? I was going to put a picture of it up but I can't figure it out.

RC Qualifier
    Photobucket is a good place to host your images. Then grab the IMG url from the image and paste it in your post.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by spenniepoos View Post
    They grab the wheel much better so less chance of coming lose because of the serrated edges.I use them all the time and are better than stock.......peace
    Thanks for the information.

Also i have upgrade to the hex 1654x we'll see how these one goes.

No worries man I am very happy how they performed but as so as the nylock starts wearing out get new nuts bro.......peace

RC Competitor
    Why not go the the 17mm hex if you already have MIPS in the rear? I know that you will have to buy new wheels and tires but that is the only thing that helped me from stripping the stock hexes with the power I am running. Just some advice Im sure that there is a lot smarter people out there then Me.

I could go down the 17mm route but for now I have fixed my problem.And my tenshock is kicking out tons of power and torque on 3s and the fix is taking the abuse but as so as if fails then I am in the 17mm crew........peace

RC Competitor
    I see I see great use of what you got, use it tell it fails. LOL

Yeah sometimes I have too or my wife gets on my case and I have three awesome kids that come way before the pede dude.....peace

RC Competitor
    Thats great to know that your kids come first. I just have my wife and she gets very upset at the stuff I buy but what the heck its only money and it is for a great cause. LOTS OF FUN

And you cant take it with you so lets have some Fun while we are here.........peace

RC Competitor
    Maybe some day I will get here into rc cars and then we both can have fun together. She does like to watch me bash it.LOL