Thread: Finally did it!

RC Enthusiast

Finally did it!

After eye balling the 4x4 Stampede since it's introduction I have always talked myself out of it. Either because I wasn't in the hobby at the time, or I wanted something else, etc...

Well, after working 51 hours overtime this last pay period and later finding out I apparently received a raise a month ago and didn't notice until today...which shows how much I pay attention to the pay stubs...I decided it was time for a gift to myself for all that hard work

Stumbled into the LHS, asked him what they were selling 4x4 Stampedes for. He's pulls it straight off the shelf and sets it right on the counter in front of me.

SOLD! I say, lol.

I could have saved a deal of money ordering it online but my local shop has been in business with the same people behind the counters since 1981...and they have been so good to me, I had to just spend the extra and get it now and support them too.

And. I. LOVE IT. My other RC, a 2WD Castle SCT powered Stampede is down with a bad servo saver but had a hot battery, so I immediately set the VXL to LiPo and hit the yard. Very happy.

Will post a couple pics later Any recommendations for starting mods feel free. I don't plan on running it on 3S, if that makes a difference. Given the space I have 2S and 30MPH in my trucks is plenty.

RC Racer
    Hi Retro! Welcome to the Pede 4x4 forums! There are definitely a couple of parts that will likely give you trouble out of the gate. Of course it all depends on how hard you bash the truck around. Here are the recommended upgrades for them:

Reinforce/Shoo Goo the Stock Body (you can go one step further and Shoo Goo the white plastic washers over the body post holes for extra support)

Bearing Adapter (The stock one is plastic and will melt on 2s lipos)

Aluminum Shock Caps (The stock plastic ones can/will pop off after big jumps and hard landings)

RPM Wide Front Bumper (The RPM bumper will prevent a lot of damage to the front of the truck, and is one of those most common upgrades. Some people go with T-Bone Racing Front Bumper instead)

Good luck, and post up some pics of the truck!

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks. I'm actually swapping bodies with my 2WD truck (Proline Silverado). Looks way better and covers the truck well. Good idea regardless though. I will order that bearing adapter soon. I have an RPM bumper and aluminum shock caps on my 2WD and they are definitely a blessing.

RC Qualifier
    Congrats on your new Pede. It's an awesome truck and you'll love it.

Welcome to the family and the addiction dude all the stuff warfighter said will help you lots and just get use to your new machine...........peace
    Famous last words...watch this!!!!

RC Qualifier
    I picked up the bearing adapter immediately, and it is still sitting in my parts bag. 2s 5000 mah. I'm not saying it will not be used, but stock held up so far with general/rough bashing.
    RSR
    KPGC treasurer (& BuRPS addict)

RC Champion
    Welcome to the forum and the p4de fun! +1 on what warfighter posted up. The body mount holes on the p4de shells seem to tear out easily, so shoo gooing the white body washers to the underside will help. Have fun driving your truck and just upgrade as parts break.
    Stampede 4x4
    Anza Slash VXL
    Rustler VXL

RC Qualifier
    Better Tires! The talons do not grip very well on loose terrian. Proline racing has a great selection and very popular with the p4de

Prolineracing.com

RC Champion
    I believe the lack of grip on the talon tires is intentional by traxxas, apart from just being cheaper to make. It reduces stress on the drivetrain and motor, keeps the truck from flipping, and lets it spin-out and slide more. Typically good things for beginners.

I still recommend getting different tires, I just think the talons have their place. To tackle some real terrain, you need better tires. But, sometimes I want to get out my talons just to slide around and spin.

RC Racer
    I agree with Jws, I kind of like sliding around on the Talons, but you cannot beat some nice Pro-Lines

I have kept my talons for emergency purposes because you never know.......peace

RC Enthusiast
    Little update. I've had it out perhaps three times. It stayed on pavement and dry grass the first two trips because that's all I have at the house.

However, over the weekend I took it to my buddies house while we worked on his car and gave it heck. He has more dirt, hills, ravines, open fields and gravel than one knows what to do with.

Borrowed the body from my 2WD Stampede but it will be going back to its original truck. The stock body is going back on the 4WD as soon as my parts order arrives. I picked up some items to lower the body, a 9T pinion, aluminum shock caps, shock rebuild kit, some extra half shafts, and I figured what the heck, I would upgrade to the Revo slipper and put the aluminum bearing adapter in. I don't plan on running past 2S on the VXL but a little extra security never hurt. Three new SPC batteries will be here this week...

Later on I will be ordering new ProLine tires and two new bodies for both trucks.

Getting back into RC has never been so much fun

RC Enthusiast
    And so it begins ...........................

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Proto1 View Post
    And so it begins ...........................
    Absolutely! Hah.

Looks like someone is enjoying them self and their pede 4x4.and well picked mods as well man......peace

Spencer

RC poster
    Glad to see your back in the hobby!! We love the 4Pedes for sure ! what bodies are you getting?

RC Qualifier
    I love 3s. Waaay better than 2s. Have fun!

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks.

As for bodies, I'm not sure. Probably a couple of Silverados from ProLine. But that's a ways off.

My parts came in from Tower yesterday. I lowered the body using the Traxxas battery strap studs and some 3MM nuts. About $8 worth of parts vs $19 for the JConcepts kit, and this is probably even lower (which I like). In my opinion, this is the way the truck should have been sold.

Also, I installed the larger Revo clutch parts with the heavy duty pads, the aluminum bearing adapter, and went down to the 9 tooth pinion. Minimal loss on the top end but great gain on the bottom. For the kind of playing I do this setup will be great. I have some aluminum shock caps to put on as well. Maybe I will do that tonight.

Overall though. I'm pretty happy with the truck as is. I'm an examining running some diff fluid to help increase traction to all four tires and at some point I will order new tires for it. This truck for me is more about behind the scenes moddding for function sake than it is copious amounts of pretty and expensive things. My 2WD truck has all the RPM/aluminum stuff, lol...

RC Qualifier
    Why not put the castle system in ur new pede?
    Cars: erevo vxl, 1/16 summit, stampede vxl, tmaxx

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by revomaxx2223 View Post
    Why not put the castle system in ur new pede?
    I prefer to keep the waterproof electronics in the 4WD truck. The SCT system in my 2WD truck isn't really any faster than the VXL anyway, just has more programming features and a minor increase in torque.

RC Qualifier
    That sounds really good.. U will definitely have fun mudding
    Cars: erevo vxl, 1/16 summit, stampede vxl, tmaxx

Sounds like you got it setup just the way you want it dude nice.......peace

RC Qualifier
    Now time for some video/s of your bashing sessions.

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks.

Blew a shock out yesterday and bent a shaft. Luckily I kept extra front and rear shafts on hand. However, after using both spares up in 3 weeks, one on the 2WD and the other on the 4WD I went ahead and ordered titanium shafts for both trucks, front and rear. Both already have aluminum caps. Also bought 30K and 60K diff oil to go with the 100K I already have. I'm going to experiment with getting a good blend of traction without locking the truck up too much. I also bought an Ofna tool set, so we will see how that goes. I always have a Ryobi 4V electric screw driver. I'm planning on putting a toolbox together to hold all my gear so it will be easier to throw both trucks and my support gear and spares in the car and go.