RC Qualifier

How Do I Switch L.E.D's Off/On With The Summit TQi 4 Channel Tx/Rx????

Ok so here's my question. I have done some research and come up with a couple answers but it seems odd to me that when I ask this question to anyone at several of the different LHS's in my area they all look at me like i'm from mars... I can't be the first person who has wanted to use their 4 channel TQi TX/RX to switch something off and on. Ok.. Here we go...

I recently bought the Traxxas 6507 TQi 4 Channel Transmitter with 5 Channel Receiver and Docking Base for my P4DE vxl. The intention was to use the extra channels on the receiver to switch on my light-bar, body lights, extra fans or what have you from the transmitters 3 position switch, and hi-low toggle. Without having to break from the action to connect anything manually.

I cant be the only person who has wanted to do such a thing.

The problem i'm guessing is that when the receiver is on there is a constant voltage put out across all the channels of the receiver. so as soon as you turn the truck everything comes on automatically. moving the switches around does nothing. The way the summit uses these channels to switch into hi/low or lock/unlock the diffs is to put a pulse out on that channel which executes the desired operation... so i need some sort of a switch interface between the two to interpret this signal and operate whatever it is im trying to turn on????... whys is this so **** complicated???

Does anyone have an easier way to simply use the switches and toggle's to turn something on and off??

All i have managed to come up with are These...

Im not ever sure if it will even work with my transmitter...

It seems crazy to me that something so simple is so complicated.....

Any input would be greatly appreciated.....

Thanks in advance.

RC Racer
    I am sorry you did not have a good experience at your LHSs. I have also had the same experience from the ones in my area. They claim to be experts, but are generally just in it for themselves, and only truly care about the "in-crowd" of people who hang out there. Thankfully we have the Traxxas Community to turn to for help!

Have a look at this:

HOW TO TURN LED'S ON AND OFF FROM YOUR RC TRANSMITTER

If you Google "Receiver Controlled Switch" you will see the switch he referenced at the top of the list.

I hope this helps! If you get it working, it would be great to see a video and some pics of the results!

Good luck!
    Last edited by warfighter; 07-27-2013 at 05:11 PM.

RC Qualifier
    I have that ******* switch , I will let you know how it is when I install it. For the videos I watched it pretty straight firward

RC Qualifier
    Thanks for the info guys.. Seems crazy to me that this isn't alot more common of a question. I have a light bar and a 10 Light L.E.D system wired into the lexan body on my p4de.. it came included with its own on/off switch which i hid in the back window section of the body on the side anglar part off the back window. Its badass in its own right... as soon as i wired em up i knew i wanted to be able to turn em off an on via my transmitter...

Thumper let me know how that switch works out for you... what are you switching with it???

anyway heres a pic of what my pd4e looks like now...

check out this vid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bV76BKNdS4o
    Last edited by T4KT1KZ; 07-27-2013 at 06:28 PM.

RC Qualifier
    So I've got the TQI with docking base and there is a togle switch on the top of the TQI and wanted to know if I can use that to program stuff on it other then T-Locking?

http://buy.traxxas.com/product_info....oducts_id=9921
    Last edited by jtalaue; 07-27-2013 at 07:49 PM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    Yes, you can.
    What are you trying to accomplish, jtalaue?

Receiver controlled switches are not all that complicated once you get to know them. lol I have installed a few in my RC days... currently using one on my Summit to control the LED's. There are only a few sellers that have them that I have found... I did once find a YouTube video explaining how to use a cheap servo to cannibalize parts off from to make your own, but I cannot seem to find it now. If you find it any cheap servo... some can be bought for less than $5... will work depending on amp load.
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Qualifier
    Well I've got fans I want to be able to turn off an on at any given time for my ESC and Motor. Sometimes I don't need them on during winter times when I bash even thought people here might say you should leave it on. So if you could help me with programming them it would be great. I've got two motors wired together doing into channel 3 of my receiver box.

RC Qualifier
    Hey jimmie i have an old traxxas 5056 servo that kicked the bucket i found a couple videos on how to esentially turn an old one into a radio controlled switch however all the ones they were working on are very differernt looking than mine.. im assuming i need to heat up the solder on the motor connections remove it from the PCB solder on a red and white to the old motor connections and then black to ground and wire in some resistors to the pot.. its all very confusing.. probably alot easier to go with the i n t e g y switch posted above lol

RC Qualifier
    A led kit , siren and light bar

For any of those items, all you need is an open channel for each group you want to turn on and off together and a RX switch. There is a multi remote switch out there that cycles through 7 items... item 1 on then item 2 then item 3... once they are all on the next cycle turns them off 1 by 1. And it does all of that with only 1 open channel if that is all you have.

To simplify-
    Jtalaue: You would need an Rx switch plugged into channel 3 and then the fans plugged into the switch. Operating the channel will cycle the fans on and off.

Thumper: You would need 3 switches and 3 open channels if you want to control everything individually. They would be plugged in the same way Jtalaue's fans are... which means it would not be possible with a Traxxas radio if you want individual control. You might want to look into GT3B's or GT3C's which are hackable to have up to 8 channels with all sorts of features.

Also, keep in mind that Traxxas 5 channel radios are really only 4... the 4th channel is split into two slots on the Rx so channel 5 cannot be "on" until channel 4 is.

T4KT1KZ: Just so you know, moderators can and will give warning points for defeating the word filter... if the word comes up with asterisks, just don't use it at all to avoid points and possibly getting banned.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie Neutron View Post
    For any of those items, all you need is an open channel for each group you want to turn on and off together and a RX switch. There is a multi remote switch out there that cycles through 7 items... item 1 on then item 2 then item 3... once they are all on the next cycle turns them off 1 by 1. And it does all of that with only 1 open channel if that is all you have.

To simplify-
    Jtalaue: You would need an Rx switch plugged into channel 3 and then the fans plugged into the switch. Operating the channel will cycle the fans on and off.

Thumper: You would need 3 switches and 3 open channels if you want to control everything individually. They would be plugged in the same way Jtalaue's fans are... which means it would not be possible with a Traxxas radio if you want individual control. You might want to look into GT3B's or GT3C's which are hackable to have up to 8 channels with all sorts of features.

Also, keep in mind that Traxxas 5 channel radios are really only 4... the 4th channel is split into two slots on the Rx so channel 5 cannot be "on" until channel 4 is.

T4KT1KZ: Just so you know, moderators can and will give warning points for defeating the word filter... if the word comes up with asterisks, just don't use it at all to avoid points and possibly getting banned.

Man you're awesome. THANK YOU!

No problem...

I think I should add that some switches I have dealt with require a "separate" power source other than the channel they are plugged into. What I usually do is just plug their "separate" input into a so-called dead channel on the receiver... like a binding slot or a batt slot. This usually works without the hassle of an add on BEC.

RC Qualifier
    Huh^ you lost me there Jimmie

RC Qualifier
    if u look at my first post jimmie there is a link to two switches i found earlier... could u take a look at them and clarify a little for me?? the first one says its a dual switch... second R/C Solid State D-Switch heres the link again

http://www.robotmarketplace.com/store_td-rc.html

im not really sure what the second one does and how you even connect to it...and the first one says it only needs a single channel to operate both switches just not sure how it would work..
    Last edited by T4KT1KZ; 07-28-2013 at 01:29 AM.

I'm not 100% sure how those switches operate T4. I'm sure they come with decent directions and a few diagrams... or at least they should. Is there an email address to send a question to?

jt, most Rx switches are wired like this:
    power source to switch > can be Rx or BEC
    switch to receiver > where it gets signal and Rx power to drive the electronics in the switch
    item to switch > item being fans, LEDs, ect

Some are wired like this:
    switch to receiver > where it gets signal and all power needed
    item to switch > item being fans, LEDs, ect

RC Champion
    Instructions are on the page peeps. I think i got them right way around.
    Click 2.5 Dual
    Click solid state.
    Problems.The manual's good starting point. Simple

RC Qualifier
    Ok that helps alot.... Thanks Jimmie and thanks Trax!!

Guys thank you I have found this thread very helpful indeed and I may one day have a look at using an led kit on my pede......peace
    Famous last words...watch this!!!!

RC Champion
    I didn't take pics when i done mine, was too excited to get it up and running.
    Problems.The manual's good starting point. Simple

RC Racer
    I agree with speenie! I've always wanted to utilize an extra channel to turn lights or fans on. Just to clarify... It "is possible" to turn LEDs on with the TQi radio, as long as it has the extra "switch", like what a Summit needs for engaging hi or low?

Joe
    "Incoming rounds always have the right of way!"

Yes. As long as you are not using all of the channels of the controller, you can control LED's, fans, ect.

RC Qualifier
    I wire up mine using the shall not be named on / off switch . Because I am using only a 3 channel I could not get all the functions to work like I wanted to but it's for my son to be 7 yr old. Being a swat themed truck I wanted the siren and light bar to kick on more then I did the lights turning on so I ran the siren toggle and the power for the light to my t- switch. You have to make sure what ever ground your using on a secondary battery is also on the ground for the switch. I also couldn't get the strobe kit on the switch because it is power to ground to switch not power to power like the other accessories. I could possibly go around this by a diode on the positive line and ground the other wire. This would work because to cycle through the siren I have to go on then off with the switch. Maybe but I'm fine the way it is for now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KFHK...e_gdata_player
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6uNm...e_gdata_player