RC Qualifier

rear end still clicking!

I installed the HR spiral diff today, shimmed it up, its very smooth, much easier than I anticipated from reading some of the comments on this forum. There is no way its clicking from there, if it is, traxxas is selling some defective parts as the rear bulkhead is brand new. I checked the bearings and they are good. My only thought at this point and I was thinking this before putting the hr diff in is that the internal gears are stripped in the diff. could that cause the clicking noise?

Right now as I posted in another thread, if I spin one wheel, the other wheel spins normally, but if I spin the other wheel, in one direction, it usually works, the other way is locked solid. when I put a lot of force on the locked solid wheel, I could get the diff to skip a tooth, but I can't imagine the ring and pinion could be the problem as I shimmed them up nicely and threw an extra shim in for good measure. It still turns very nicely, nicer than the stock traxxas diff ever did. So I think it could either be the internal gears in the diff or maybe a bad rear center shaft? When I drive in reverse it works fine.

RC Champion
    Yes, bad internal gears can also cause clicking. Too tight a mesh is just as bad as too loose a mesh, you should leave a small amount of lash between the gears.
    My tranny case is stock :D

RC Qualifier
    It does it when I pull the throttle real fast, otherwise it dont do it and not at all in reverse.

RC Qualifier
    Finally clicking is gone, it was the internal gears, replaced them today and back to normal. The HR diff makes such a sweet hum, I really would recommend it.

RC Champion
    Let us know if any issues pop up over the next couple weeks.
    My tranny case is stock :D

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by buzzsaw 46 View Post
    Let us know if any issues pop up over the next couple weeks.
    I"m sure they will as my 4 year old is rough on the diff, but at least its solved. It sucks because the clicking noise is literally exactly the same if its skipping teeth on the ring gear or apparently skipping teeth on the internal diff gears so hard to tell which one is really the culprit.