RC Enthusiast

Just got GTR's and Badlands!!!

Holy smokes! Our 2 Rallys are like different cars. They really handle well now relative to the stock setup. My boy is blowing my doors off on our back yard track.
    I just ordered 2 center diffs for us and I suspect that will clear up any cornering issues that the tires and shocks couldn't fix.
    Anybody have to re-cut the body for tire clearance with the Badlands? What is the best way to cut out a bit more wheel well?
    I'm also considering getting a couple of LIPOs. From what I can tell, SPC is the way to go but they are perpetually out of stock.
    Is it worth getting a 2s LIPO for the Rally? Is it much faster than the 3000mah nmhi that comes with it?
    Is there a good alternative to SPC?
    Thanks for letting a newbie pick your collective brains.

RC Enthusiast
    23 views and no responses?
    Did I say something wrong?

RC Champion
    Raising or cutting the body would likely be necessary for badlands because they're quite a bit larger than stock. Also, they'll expand a little more at speed.

2S lipo is so much better than the stock nimh battery. Lots more torque. Go for it.

RC Qualifier
    Get 3s lipo, you'll love them. Oh chuck up some pics

RC Qualifier
    Go with LiPo 2s, way much better than NiMh!
    3s not recommended on centerdiff...
    Rally
    Slash 4x4 Platinum x2
    Stampede 4x4 VXL

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jws1982 View Post
    Raising or cutting the body would likely be necessary for badlands because they're quite a bit larger than stock. Also, they'll expand a little more at speed.

2S lipo is so much better than the stock nimh battery. Lots more torque. Go for it.
    How do you cut your bodies? I was thinking of using the Dremel with the large sanding drum. I can't imagine my clumsy *&! going at it with scissors.
    Thanks for the reply.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by graham_h View Post
    Get 3s lipo, you'll love them. Oh chuck up some pics
    I'll try to get some pics on here asap. *tries to remember photobucket password*
    I have the Blue one and my boy has an Orange one....of course you know mine is naturally faster because of the Blue .....my boy begs to differ.
    Thanks for the reply.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Sverige View Post
    Go with LiPo 2s, way much better than NiMh!
    3s not recommended on centerdiff...

I'm stoked to get a couple of those SPC packs but they are perpetually out of stock.
    I was thinking of a 5000mah 50c....is the 50 c too much ya think?
    My buddy has an older Ultimate Slash and although it doesn't handle as well, it sure cooks on the straits. He's running a 25c 5000mah Viscious battery.
    We're wantin' some of that for sure.....and then some!
    I'm sure you understand.

RC Qualifier
    This would be a good pack..you don't really need 50c for bashing I run a 20c 3s in my p4de just fine...they also say that the packs are expecting to be in stock early july! That can't be too far away
    You ain't bashin unless your crashin!!

RC Champion
    I use the 1" sanding drum to shape my body's. They work really well to remove a large area to. Anything over 30 on the cell count is good. Have you thought about sway bar's for your rally?
    *Proud Husband of United state's Air Force wife.*

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by cHAUNCH View Post
    How do you cut your bodies? I was thinking of using the Dremel with the large sanding drum. I can't imagine my clumsy *&! going at it with scissors.
    Thanks for the reply.
    I use scissors for the most part then use dremel to smooth and round it all out

RC Champion
    I mark it, use scissors to cut, then Dremel to smooth.

RC Champion
    Just use a "sharpie" or other to mark the material to be removed using the outer most portion of the tire as a guide.

If you have a set of the curved "body scissors" they will make a pretty clean cut and then a Dremel or similar tool to smooth things out if needed.

2s lipo will provide a more constant voltage/current delivery in your run times until LVC. NiMH batteries decrease in performance during your runs.

Now you must practice more than the boy.... dads and granddads must RULE!!!!
    "enjoy your ride"

Dennis

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by I EAT DIRT View Post
    I use the 1" sanding drum to shape my body's. They work really well to remove a large area to. Anything over 30 on the cell count is good. Have you thought about sway bar's for your rally?
    I'm going to try it this afternoon....thanks for the tip!
    Sway bars are on the list also. I assume you have them.....do they work well?

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by orca44 View Post
    Just use a "sharpie" or other to mark the material to be removed using the outer most portion of the tire as a guide.

If you have a set of the curved "body scissors" they will make a pretty clean cut and then a Dremel or similar tool to smooth things out if needed.

2s lipo will provide a more constant voltage/current delivery in your run times until LVC. NiMH batteries decrease in performance during your runs.

Now you must practice more than the boy.... dads and granddads must RULE!!!!

I haven't had this much fun in years....it's even better to be doing it with my son.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    Dont start with trimming the WHOLE wheel well... just figure out where its rubbing and trim that off. Test and repeat as necessary. Raise the body up one hole on the body mounts... that will help also. The badlands are, in reality, too big a tire for a true RALLY style rally but the grip you get is insane.

SPC is, IMO, the ONLY place to buy lipos. There is a HUGE difference between a quality lipo an a junk lipo and SPC sells quality lipos. I know for a fact there is another shipment of lipos inbound to SPC right now. They ARE worth waiting for. Dont throw your money in the garbage buying a no name or overpriced name brand lipo.

The difference in lipo VS Nimh, as has been previously mentioned, isnt necessarily top speed... its what we call "Punch". Basically, the lipo can deliver power to the ESC/Motor more efficiently so when you hit the throttle the power is NOW... the 7cell will actually be a tiny bit faster when they are both fresh off the charger, but the nimh pack will loose voltage very fast and continually get slower as you run whereas a lipo will hold its voltage for almost the entire run.

Truth is, anything over 25C is enough for a stock powered rally. But... you can NEVER have too high a C rating. The higher the better but there truly is a point where you have more than you need. Any VXL powered vehicle wont really demand more than 40-50C at the maximum anyway.

My suggestion is definitly NOT to go to a 3S lipo. The stock VXL power system is, realistically, under powered for the rally on even the 7cell nimh. Going to a 2s lipo will actually help with heat a tiny bit but a 3S will stress the motor and you definitly overheat it. If you want to run 3S you need to upgrade to a lower KV, but higher amp rated system (like the MMP/2400kv system).
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by pavmentsurfer View Post
    Dont start with trimming the WHOLE wheel well... just figure out where its rubbing and trim that off. Test and repeat as necessary. Raise the body up one hole on the body mounts... that will help also. The badlands are, in reality, too big a tire for a true RALLY style rally but the grip you get is insane.

SPC is, IMO, the ONLY place to buy lipos. There is a HUGE difference between a quality lipo an a junk lipo and SPC sells quality lipos. I know for a fact there is another shipment of lipos inbound to SPC right now. They ARE worth waiting for. Dont throw your money in the garbage buying a no name or overpriced name brand lipo.

The difference in lipo VS Nimh, as has been previously mentioned, isnt necessarily top speed... its what we call "Punch". Basically, the lipo can deliver power to the ESC/Motor more efficiently so when you hit the throttle the power is NOW... the 7cell will actually be a tiny bit faster when they are both fresh off the charger, but the nimh pack will loose voltage very fast and continually get slower as you run whereas a lipo will hold its voltage for almost the entire run.

Truth is, anything over 25C is enough for a stock powered rally. But... you can NEVER have too high a C rating. The higher the better but there truly is a point where you have more than you need. Any VXL powered vehicle wont really demand more than 40-50C at the maximum anyway.

My suggestion is definitly NOT to go to a 3S lipo. The stock VXL power system is, realistically, under powered for the rally on even the 7cell nimh. Going to a 2s lipo will actually help with heat a tiny bit but a 3S will stress the motor and you definitly overheat it. If you want to run 3S you need to upgrade to a lower KV, but higher amp rated system (like the MMP/2400kv system).

I trimmed a bit off of the bottom edges and that's really all it needed. The fronts are rubbing the inside top of the well when I bottom out so I think I'll put a couple coats of shoe goo over those areas....what do you think?
    I can't imagine this thing with any more torque....it's hard enough now to get all of the power to the ground....on dirt that is. I imagine I could make it really sticky on pavement or concrete.
    We'll just be going to the 2s. Realistically any more power is just being wasted via wheel spin anyway....no?
    I think we'll wait for SPC....the site says they should get a delivery this week....I just hope there are enough to go around.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by eschmitt4 View Post
    This would be a good pack..you don't really need 50c for bashing I run a 20c 3s in my p4de just fine...they also say that the packs are expecting to be in stock early july! That can't be too far away
    Oh wow I was going to put a link to the hard case 40c 2s for 30 dollars but it must have slipped my mind...
    You ain't bashin unless your crashin!!