Thread: weak shocks

RC Enthusiast

weak shocks

my p4de has the mm2/2650 combo and i use maxamps 3s batteries, with that combination it seems to heavy for the big bore shocks i am running. i have 50 weight oil and the stiffer blue springs from hot racing installed. the suspension stays almost fully compressed at all times. I seen some people have switch to the big losi shocks. does this work well? any suggestions, and if so possibly the part numbers to go with it? thanx

The shocks dont hold the weight of the car up the springs on them do. Big Bores are fine for your truck you just need to find a stiff enoguh spring to hold up the weight of the car.

You also want to make sure there is no binding in the suspension arms and links preventing the springs from rebounding as far has they should.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Racer
    Dad is spot on. It sounds like stiffer springs and adding preload is what you need. Here is a very informative video series from Jang @ Ultimate RC: RC Suspension 101 that really helped me figure out my suspension.

Have a look at VG racing shocks they are very stiff and should be what you are looking for dude ........peace
    Famous last words...watch this!!!!

I have a few sets of the losi Ten-T shocks and they are fantastic for the price.
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

RC Racer
    I read about a lot of people using the Ten-T shocks, they are definitely a good option!

RC Enthusiast
    thanks for all the input, i doubled up my spacers for now until i get me some stiffer springs. a definite improvement so far.

RC Racer
    Awesome! Glad you got it ironed out!

Yeah dude traxxas big bores are awesome you just need to have a play a round with different springs and oil weights to find what works for you and your setup........peace

RC Qualifier
    Yeah, I got big-Bore shocks with 50wt oil. They work nicely, but I need some stiffer springs. I run a cage on my Pede and it makes the truck heavy. Haven't been able to find any stiffer springs so far

I use the progressive springs listed in the Stampede 4x4 parts list under Shocks: Ultra Shocks. These springs are available in everything from -20% (softer), through to +20% (stiffer). The springs not listed with a +/- rating are the standard springs on Slash 4x4. The reason you don't see a 'rate' is the spring gets stiffer as it is compressed. So the +20% springs are about 20% stiffer than the standard ones.

My personal favorite setup is +10% progressive springs front and rear with 50wt shock oil.

Now for the odd bit. If you're using the Big Bore shocks the body is a tiny bit smaller than the Ultra Shocks. (Not sure why, it just is.) This can cause the spring to sit at a tad bit of an angle.

Simple solution: Use the ultra shock lower retainer for the bottom. On the top turn over the Big Bore spring retainer and slide the Ultra Shock retainer up against it. This gives the Ultra Shock upper retainer a nice flat surface to sit against and will keep your springs almost perfectly centered.

I have got the +20% to go on my big bores because the stock ultra springs bottom out on the big jumps.So thank you for making my mind up man........peace

Quote Originally Posted by spenniepoos View Post
    I have got the +20% to go on my big bores because the stock ultra springs bottom out on the big jumps.So thank you for making my mind up man........peace
    Typically bottoming out after a jump isn't a bad thing. That's what the skid plates are for. Usually I set my vehicles up to run and handle well and let the skids to their job, they're sacrificial parts after all. The reason I stiffen the Pede up is I'm normally running 3s and reducing the body roll is super important at high speed.

Yeah I just needed a little stiffer ride so I am taking your advice man and I do speed runs every now and again geared 15-17t pinion and 54t spur with a tenshock 4 pole 550 can and can be a bit skittish and it will help in the jumps too. I got them about 14 months ago and they are still in the packet so I know what I am doing in the next few days.Thank you tireslinger...peace

RC Qualifier
    I have the +20 progressive blues on my big bores and i have to say they are not stiff enough..... what you need to do is

Click Right Here and Check These Out..

I purchased these.. There is really not alot of spring options for the stampede this is what i ended going with... all the versatility in the world...to combine different spring rates for different conditions...

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by spenniepoos View Post
    I hate to ask this, but I'm lost.. Can you add a link to the +20%? I cannot find them on the site.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by rcapilli View Post
    I hate to ask this, but I'm lost.. Can you add a link to the +20%? I cannot find them on the site.
    I picked up TRX# 6864 which is the front spring +20%. I dont have the rear part number sorry

Matt

Dudes the rear ones are part number 6868 hope that helps .....peace

Spencer

RC Qualifier
    What about these? Think these would fit on the big-bore shocks?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Traxxas-Stam...item5d42057241

The reason why I asked is because I have [Traxxas 5862 Big Bore Shock Complete Set for Slash], The springs that come with it look like the ones suggested above... unless I'm missing something. I was thinking that the ebay link I gave would be stiffer. Thoughts?
    Last edited by rcapilli; 07-31-2013 at 07:20 AM.

Yes the VG springs are good stuff I know a few people who run them and swear by them dude......peace

RC Qualifier
    Nice!!! Thanks again man