RC Competitor

Brake upgrade, carbon fiber or steel

I have a revo 3.3. I'm looking for upgrades for its rear brake. since revo and jato share brake parts. So i figured maybe I should ask questions here.

There are some different types brakes available.
    i.e, steel disc + steel pad,
    steel disc + carbon fiber pad,
    carbon disc + steel pad,

which is better in brake power, and which is more durable (last longer)

anyone has experience of hot-racing dual disc kit? how are those carbon fiber pad? is it worn fast?

thanks

RC Qualifier
    I use the Hotracing dual steel brake set-up on my Jato... been two years and NO problems... brakes strong and minimal wear... just sand the metal pads "lightly"... I have it set that when I touch my brakes the car does a 180... I have it this way because I drag race my jato only...coupled with the fuel tube mod... awesome brakes over all.. never needed the carbon, so i don't know about that...

RC Enthusiast
    When I first got my jato I got the carbon one on tower hobbies and it didn't fit the cam and broke. Iv'e been using the pads and stock rotor, modified the brake rod with fuel line over a slightly shorter metal tube( the metal tube is actually the vent from a pour spout for a bottle of alcohol) . It usually locks up the rear tires and the back hops. Since the weight leaves the rear the best mods are removing the spring and getting an aluminum brake cam lever since they can strip and distort causing a loss in pressure on the brake rotor.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by XO-1 MD View Post
    I use the Hotracing dual steel brake set-up on my Jato... been two years and NO problems... brakes strong and minimal wear... just sand the metal pads "lightly"... I have it set that when I touch my brakes the car does a 180... I have it this way because I drag race my jato only...coupled with the fuel tube mod... awesome brakes over all.. never needed the carbon, so i don't know about that...
    Thanks.

glad to hear that steel disc are good. actually, I like steel disc because they flash.

I assume you are using hot racing dual disc with glass fiber pads. It seems hot racing has discontinued that. Now they only provide dual disc with carbon pads, and the new disc has a waved shape.

Wants to know how carbon pad works.

Quote Originally Posted by johnksvo@gmail.com View Post
    When I first got my jato I got the carbon one on tower hobbies and it didn't fit the cam and broke. Iv'e been using the pads and stock rotor, modified the brake rod with fuel line over a slightly shorter metal tube( the metal tube is actually the vent from a pour spout for a bottle of alcohol) . It usually locks up the rear tires and the back hops. Since the weight leaves the rear the best mods are removing the spring and getting an aluminum brake cam lever since they can strip and distort causing a loss in pressure on the brake rotor.
    so a firm brake lever is a must, besides discs and pads, right?
    Last edited by Double G; 07-26-2013 at 03:07 PM. Reason: merge

RC Racer
    I have the hot racing dual disc brakes with the carbon pads and I have been using them for maybe a year, and they are still in good conditions!

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by subyhau View Post
    I have the hot racing dual disc brakes with the carbon pads and I have been using them for maybe a year, and they are still in good conditions!
    Ordered the kits with carbon pads. Thanks

Another vote for the dual disc brake setup! I always wanted to do that mod but only had single steel brake disc and that alone worked very well!
    Learn by doing

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by KyLeader7 View Post
    Another vote for the dual disc brake setup! I always wanted to do that mod but only had single steel brake disc and that alone worked very well!
    Are you runing steel disc with stock metal pads or carbon fiber pads?