RC poster

How do I know when I have a Bad battery?

Hi guys,

I'm still learning about these 2wd stampedes. I'm eager to learn!
    I want to know when I need to replace my NiMH batteries. I'm still using the ones that I got from two years ago. I know....
    How do I figure out when I have a bad battery, that needs to be thrown away or if my Titian 12T 550 Motor
    needs replaced.

Thanks for the help!

First, you can run your batteries for a LONG time if you take care of them, talking about NiMH. I have a battery that is over 10 years old and still going strong. One of the key things to do is not to run your RC until it can't move anymore, this kills your batteries. There will be a point in the run where the truck just won't go as fast under full throttle, this is when the pack has 'dumped', when this happens it is time to pick up the truck and put in a freshly charged battery.

If you are running just one battery it might be hard to tell if lack of power is your battery or your drive train. The best way is to go to your LHS and asked them to test your battery, the better ones will do this for free. If you have more than one battery and you have the same problems on both, there is a good chance it is your truck (unless you have abused your batteries the exact same way).
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC poster
    Thank you for your answer! For some clarification, can I run back to back batteries? Meaning, once one battery is done, I can put a fresh one in and run it? I am running a Titan 12t motor with NIMH batteries.

RC Qualifier
    I would check your temps (get a temp gauge if you haven't) after the first pack it will depend on how much WOT you ran and what terrain, and gearing, I will generally give mine a 5 minute break or so between them. I am sure others will chime in on this but they will need that info wot, terrain, gearing to be much help titan shouldn't go over 140 degrees F, according to traxxas when I called them when my bandit toasted one lol
    Let's Go Steelers!!!... KCCO

Pretty much what Timber said.

If you are geared mildly you should be about to run back-to-back packs with no problem. If you are geared aggressively you should let your motor cool before going again.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired