Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    RC Champion

What did you do to/get for your Spartan today?

In the Revo and Slash section this topic was a great way to keep up with everyone's builds etc! So here's what I did/ got for my Spartan today...

Our family will be going to Big Bear Lake in two weeks for a week getaway, I'd say vacation but I'm always on vacation.

So today I am starting a tear down of three of my boats, 2 Spartans and a none Traxxas plus the retrieval boat. All this to help insure I have no mechanical/electrical issues.

I already have the fishing gear ready to go....
    "enjoy your ride"

Dennis

RC Qualifier
    The Spartans are getting a rest this next week as I go on vacation doing my favorite hobby. Shipwreck hunting and diving in the Great Lakes. Check out the project I did with sony in 2011.http://thunderbay.noaa.gov/shiphunt.html I have been hunting for the Choctaw for over 20 years and still have not found the wreck yet.

RC Racer
    I am waiting for my new flex cable from jeff and i will be ready to rock ! So the spartan is waiting !
    Don t Go Fast if you are out of Control !!!!

RC Racer
    I just sent my VXL-6s to Traxxas because it wouldn't power up. Hopefully it's warranted and I'll have the new one next week!

RC Champion
    upgrade from 1700kv to 2200kv 39mm motor, I run only 4s
    MMM/2650, E-maxx Body=FUN !
    3 Slash 4x4
    Pede 4x4

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by akesj1 View Post
    upgrade from 1700kv to 2200kv 39mm motor, I run only 4s
    Have you put the 2200 kv motor in your Spartan yet? I would like to know the results of the change to the 2200 kv motor.

Is it a marine motor?
    "enjoy your ride"

Dennis

RC Champion
    Yes and its absolutely GREAT, it was approx $70 shipped from china, its a marine motor with included allum cooling jacked.

The added speed is very good, very smooth quiet motor, the grimracer 42x55 prop makes the combo fast enough to pass my Ms Geico with 1800 castle motor
    3 Slash 4x4
    Pede 4x4

RC Champion
    I ordered two of Wohlt's wire drive systems to try in my Spartans. No problems with the stock flex drive but just want to try the wire drive units....

Hope they get here before leaving for Big Bear Lake.....
    "enjoy your ride"

Dennis

RC Champion
    I may try that Grim Racer prop.

I can see that 2200 kv motor with the 42/55 prop on 4s having some good speeds. Any idea what your top speed has been with that setup?
    "enjoy your ride"

Dennis

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by orca44 View Post
    I may try that Grim Racer prop.

I can see that 2200 kv motor with the 42/55 prop on 4s having some good speeds. Any idea what your top speed has been with that setup?
    Sorry don't know, can speculate?

if stock boat on 4s is about 35-40
    if stock boat on 6s is about 50-55
    I'd guess its 45-50

sounds like I need to send the phone for a ride?
    3 Slash 4x4
    Pede 4x4

RC Racer
    I just ordered some SPC lipo's. 3s 65c 6500mAh hard case. I hope they'll be here this week! I'm supposed to receive my ESC and motor tomorrow from Traxxas.

RC Qualifier
    5 in dual inlet rudder, aluminum water jacket, 3s lipos, wire drive.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Socalirevo View Post
    5 in dual inlet rudder, aluminum water jacket, 3s lipos, wire drive.
    Where did you order your wire drive from?

RC Champion
    I know you didn't ask me but I just ordered mine from Jeff Wholt... Should be here Wed or Thur...
    "enjoy your ride"

Dennis

RC Racer
    Is that rcraceboats.com ?
    http://rcraceboat.com/spartanupgrades.html
    Last edited by Carnes99; 08-06-2013 at 02:32 PM.

RC Qualifier
    That's the one.
    Hog

RC Qualifier
    yup jeff wholt is the man. Order jus shipped!

RC Racer
    I received my parts back from Traxxas yesterday. I think I'm going to increase the wire size on my ESC and add an extra cap. In regards to the wire drive, I believe the stock output shaft is 5mm and the Wholt is 3/16". Does this mean that I have to replace my prop as well? How about the strut and bushings?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Carnes99 View Post
    I received my parts back from Traxxas yesterday. I think I'm going to increase the wire size on my ESC and add an extra cap. In regards to the wire drive, I believe the stock output shaft is 5mm and the Wholt is 3/16". Does this mean that I have to replace my prop as well? How about the strut and bushings?
    Nope. The solid part is essentially the same as stock. Stock prop, drive dog, strut, and bushings will all work.

RC Racer
    I received my flex cable from jeff yesterday , can't wait to try it this weekend !!!

RC Qualifier
    I've been happy with my .187 cables from Jeff. I did have one of them snap unexpectedly after 43 runs, so you still need to take care of them. After it snapped I inspected it closely and saw signs of corrosion. After that happpened, I bought some corrosion X which has been great. My advice would be to use corrosion X spray on it after each run. After corrosion X I then grease the shaft a little then store it in a ziplock bag until the next run. The current shaft has 24 runs on and it looks brand new.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by jetnfast View Post
    I've been happy with my .187 cables from Jeff. I did have one of them snap unexpectedly after 43 runs, so you still need to take care of them. After it snapped I inspected it closely and saw signs of corrosion. After that happpened, I bought some corrosion X which has been great. My advice would be to use corrosion X spray on it after each run. After corrosion X I then grease the shaft a little then store it in a ziplock bag until the next run. The current shaft has 24 runs on and it looks brand new.
    Very good tips , thank s for sharing ! I want mine last for a long time , so i will take care of it !

RC Racer
    I'm a little bummed! My new SPC batteries were scheduled to arrive today according to the USPS tracking number, but never showed. Guess I'll give SPC a call in the AM. Excited for their arrival, I went to purchase a new charger. I didn't want to spend much, so I was looking at the Onyx 245. The guys at the shop suggested that you shouldn't charge 2 lipo's at once with it. I decided to spend a little more and get the Hitec X2-400. It's a much better charger and I was happy with it until, I came home and realized that it doesn't have an AC function. I have to buy a DC power supply that looks to be easily over $100. I'm new to the lipo's, so this came as a shock to me. I'm going to look into building my own power supply, but do you guys recommend any? It needs to be 12-18v and 60A minimum?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Carnes99 View Post
    I'm a little bummed! My new SPC batteries were scheduled to arrive today according to the USPS tracking number, but never showed. Guess I'll give SPC a call in the AM. Excited for their arrival, I went to purchase a new charger. I didn't want to spend much, so I was looking at the Onyx 245. The guys at the shop suggested that you shouldn't charge 2 lipo's at once with it. I decided to spend a little more and get the Hitec X2-400. It's a much better charger and I was happy with it until, I came home and realized that it doesn't have an AC function. I have to buy a DC power supply that looks to be easily over $100. I'm new to the lipo's, so this came as a shock to me. I'm going to look into building my own power supply, but do you guys recommend any? It needs to be 12-18v and 60A minimum?
    What hobbyshop you goin to? I noticed the people at hobbyclown in your area have no clue about anything.... I have that charger and have charged 2 batteries on it multiple times.... I have a quad charger by thunder power. Charges up to 4 6s lipos at once. I LOVE it
    http://www.nitrorcx.com/73p-t6x4-charger.html

EDIT

The thunder charger is the same exact charger as the hitec x4(except cheaper) Just a different case. It is also dc. But dont let that stop you. Hitec makes an ac version. Or you can get a dc power supply.... spc sells them

I got my dc power supply that can handle 2 of my quad chargers on ebay for $50
    Heres on for $33 buy it now. Its what mine looks like but a little weaker.. Isnt pretty but it works. Check em out.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/RC-POWER-SUP...item4610ce9d83

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RC-POWER-SUP...item43bc8ff6db

ebay "rc power supply" and see what pops up
    Last edited by Socalirevo; 08-09-2013 at 02:54 AM.

RC Racer
    Yeah hobbytown is my closest shop, and they aren't the best. I prefer to go to ultimate hobbies in Orange off the 55. I'm good with electrical, so I'm going to pick up a power supply for a CPU and make my own. That's basically what those guys are doing on eBay.

RC Qualifier
    Well I finally got my batteries in. Got them charged up and took her out for her maiden voyage, and wow what a blast! I'm running on 5s and barely getting to 3/4 throttle in my pond. Only I want to change out is my prop. I'm running the cnc aluminum from kintec, and like others I also am getting a lot of cavitation on take off. But once she starts moving it runs great!

SPC has powersupplies also for under $50, made by benchmark. I've heard good things bout them, was going to get one myself. And I recieved my batteries from them thursday were ordered mon. But they are great people, def willing to help!

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by BomberSTi View Post
    Well I finally got my batteries in. Got them charged up and took her out for her maiden voyage, and wow what a blast! I'm running on 5s and barely getting to 3/4 throttle in my pond. Only I want to change out is my prop. I'm running the cnc aluminum from kintec, and like others I also am getting a lot of cavitation on take off. But once she starts moving it runs great!

SPC has powersupplies also for under $50, made by benchmark. I've heard good things bout them, was going to get one myself. And I recieved my batteries from them thursday were ordered mon. But they are great people, def willing to help!
    I ordered mine on Monday and was supposed to receive them Thursday, but I thinks it's the USPS's fault. We'll see if they one today. I'll look into the PS's. Thanks!

Update: I looked into them, but they're only a 47A output. My charger requests a minimum of 60A. My cousin might be able to get me what I need, but if not i found one on eBay for $18. I'll keep you posted.
    Last edited by Carnes99; 08-09-2013 at 03:29 PM.

RC Racer
    I finally received my new batteries from SPC today. I charged them with my new charger, which worked great, and tried to test my Spartan. I haven't been able to test the new motor and ESC, because my Traxxas lipo's went bad. The ESC keeps blinking green, which means its detecting an over voltage. The over voltage is supposed to be set at 25.2v, but with the batteries connected I'm reading 25.02-24.98v across the ESC terminals. I'm testing with a $400 Fluke meter, so it's not a cheap harbor freight meter. The fluctuation in voltage is from the blinking light and beeping. I'll be calling Traxxas in the morning. Hopefully I don't have to send this ESC back, because my boat has already been out of service for 3 weeks!

RC Competitor
    Got my new custom wrapped Black Widow hull in. Time to put the guts in her now

Running wild with a Spartan and MERV!

RC Racer
    Well, I guess the brand new ESC that Traxxas sent me is bad. Looks like I'll be without my boat for another 1-2 weeks. This sucks!

RC Qualifier
    well on sunday what i did for my spartan was to tear it up. i launched it from my normal spot and i noticed the grass had grown in the lake so i let it glide out some on its own before hitting the trigger,then i hit the trigger and nothing so i pulled it again and it hung a sharp right then started trying to go backwards.it was about 10 feet offshore so i kept trying to get it to come in but didn't happen.so i asked to guy fishing about 100ft away if he could cast out and get it for me and he replied i can't i just stated fishing.sooooo after i few mins a nice family waled down to wear i was and i asked them to watch my stuff they agreed and i briskly walked up to my truck and got my fishing pole and got my boat back in.i had a plastic bag and a ton off grass wrapped up everywhere on the strut and prop.so i removed it all looked at everything as best as possible tested it and all seemed to be fine so i took off out in the lake and finally got through my 1st set of packs and it hit lvd and it started on its way back in and all of a sudden it quit moving about 50 yards offshore.so i tried casting out to but it was out to far.after letting the wind blow it in to me some i got it back and found i lost my brand new .078 wire drive i bought months back and a brand new prop i had hand sharpened and balanced.but for todays news i modified the tube holder so i could use the bigger tube and .187 flex cable put on my new cnc x645 prop and off to the lake i went and it did not miss a beat as it hauled butt around the lake on 4s,5s and 6s.btw i am using the 180amp seaking and leopard 1600 motor.i was impressed and its all home in one piece this time.so i just ordered a new wire drive and another 187 flex cable to so i have a spare.

RC Qualifier
    How did you lose a wiredrive? And how do you prevent it from happening again?

RC Qualifier
    Well I think the plastic and grass wrapped around it caused it

RC Qualifier
    Oh. I got a new cc motor. sharpened turn fins, dual water outlet, larger id cooling lines, cnc prop and prather prop with bullet nut. Shes going to get a make over lol Im still waiting for the wire drive. Also some ceramic boca bearings for the motor and strut.
    Last edited by Socalirevo; 08-16-2013 at 04:06 PM.

RC Qualifier
    I sharpened up my rudder the same way I sharpen my pocket knives. I could practically shave with it now. I also opened up the water pickups all the way through the rudder.

RC Champion
    It has taken awhile, but Jeff has finally had a chance to build and ship the two wire drives I ordered from him on July 20th.

I should receive them today or on Tuesday. I'm looking forward to giving the wire drives a run....
    "enjoy your ride"

Dennis

RC Enthusiast
    You in socal? im in LB should get together and run sometime

RC Qualifier
    Bought a new hull and built a new one, customize painting.
    Sharing is the best thing to do on EARTH legally.

RC Champion
    Had to replace the rubber boot that goes over the steering servo arm on both of my Spartans. They both were cracked and looked to be dried out..... Lasted 3 years.
    "enjoy your ride"

Dennis

RC Qualifier
    Thread revive.... Got mine all cleaned up to present to the LHS for soldering my new connectors on. I also got a new OSE dual pickup rudder because my other one met with an unfortunate accident called a 17 yr old kid that forgot how to use the Dremel correctly..... Also looked at LED solutions, may be ordering something from Vanquish LED products... How would I run wires from the Front of the hull, through the hull, and back to the RC box? Take out the foam and install wiring?
    PM for info.....