Thread: Bad battery?

RC Enthusiast

Question Bad battery?

My son and I went to run our Son-Uva Digger a couple of days ago with a battery fresh off of our rapid charger. We got to the park to bash an AWESOME dirt mound that the city PARD had dumped there for some use and found that our truck was running like it was in the XL-5 Training Mode (or slower) and wouldn't even make it up the pile. I've double checked the ESC setting and put new batteries in the controller. I have noticed that despite being fully charged (twice now) after the truck makes even a short run, when I bring it back to me and check, the XL-5 LED is blinking red like the battery is low.

Question: Has the battery gone bad? I've had our truck stored in the garage over the last few weeks and I'm wondering if the Texas heat has damaged it in some way.

Question 2: Without going to a LiPo, what are the best replacement batteries you have found for the money? What performance enhancements, if any, have you seen. If I've got to spend the $$ I hope there's some sort of "fun factor" return on the investment.

Thanks for your help and input with this everyone!
    Traxxas Monster Jam Son-uva Digger w/ TQ 2.4GHz

RC Qualifier
    I don't remember exactly what the light does but make sure you are not in low voltage detection mode. Nimhs hit this very fast and then the truck is supposed to go half speed. Why not Lipo? I had way too many nimh batteries go bad in too short of time so I switched.

If you have lvd in in your speed controller and you are about to buy batteries I would at least consider it. You won't see a lot of performance gain in your brushed motor but there are $40 lipos that will give you almost an hour of full power run time.

PM me if ya wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh PA
    For the price you pay for GOOD nimh, if you can find them, you will get much more run time and cycles out of a lipo for much less money...

What mah are your current batteries, and what amp rate are you charging them @?
    Wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh ???

RC Qualifier
    When you turn on the esc and remote control is the light on the esc green or red?

Texas, Chemical Plant along the Gulf Coast
    One of 2 things: You are either thermalling or you have LVD turned on. Is the XL5 ESC blinking RED Fast or Slow?

• Fast Blinking Red: The XL-5 is equipped with thermal shutdown
    protection to guard against overheating caused by excessive current
    flow. If the operating temperature exceeds safe limits, the XL-5 will
    automatically shut down. Let the XL-5 cool. Make sure your model is
    properly geared for the conditions (see pages 20-21 in the manual).
    • Slow Blinking Red (with Low-Voltage Detection on): The XL-5 has
    entered Low-Voltage Protection. When the battery voltage begins
    to reach the minimum recommended discharge voltage threshold
    for LiPo battery packs, the XL-5 will limit the power output to 50%
    throttle. When the battery voltage attempts to fall below the minimum
    threshold, the XL-5 will shut down all motor output. The LED on the
    speed control will slowly blink red, indicating a low-voltage shutdown.
    The XL-5 will stay in this mode until a fully charged battery is connected.
    LIPO is definitely the way to go. The most expensive part is getting a good charger to start with ($100). The Lipo packs i'd suggest are from SPC. You cant beat the cost to performance quality from them. Plus the people over there are amazing to deal with.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Enthusiast
    I'm using the 3000mah battery that came with the truck. I've been charging it on 3s on the rapid charger. When I plug the battery in, the ESC is green. But drive it 10 feet & bring it back & it is blinking red. How would I turn LVP off if it somehow got turned on? I dunno, I'm tempted to buy a 5000mah batt anyway to give it a little more speed & make our runs a little longer.

RC Qualifier
    ESC must be red for a nimh, that is your problem. Turn the esc on and verify it's green. Hold the esc button down for 10 seconds and the led will turn red and you will hear a falling tone. Let up. The next time you turn it on it should be red.
    Last edited by Jeff_G; 07-25-2013 at 08:10 PM.

RC Enthusiast
    OK, I went to a LHS when I was visiting my parents this weekend and had a guy look at my problem. It seems that the XL-5 ESC will sometimes, without reason or user error, switch modes. So, we discovered that the ESC was indeed in LVP and we switched it off (kudos to you as well Jeff_G). So, to all of y'all out there, just know that you might have a random event in your XL-5 at some point.

Thank you all for your help and advice. Now, back to the fun upgrade (like a slash bumper on a pede?) stuff!