RC Enthusiast

stripping servo horns - i just wanna steer!

so hey guys i finally got my beast back up and running but i had to replace the racers edge servo horn i bought a while back cuz the teeth were all stripped out. so my guy at my LHS cut me a deal on the same horn, i should have known better but what can i say im impatient. so i tried it and it seemed ok for a bit but after about 6-8 min of easy bashing on grass and asphalt i think i may have stripped the new horn! i have been searching for the most robust horn i can find, but it seems like robitronics and racers edge were the 1 and 2 choices of most forum peeps i found. with that being said i do wonder if my set up is making it difficult on the horn. i have a fairly beefy FLM 3908 Emaxx. switched dual stock servos for a 7955TG HItec servo and im running Trencher X's shoes on 1/2" offset desperado feet. i also just installed FLM shock towers and a set of Proline Powerstroke shocks....on a side note im not sure how much i like the powerstrokes. my ride seems to sag more than ever now! i may have to kick up the oil to a higher # i think i have some 80k oil i will try. any ideas on beefy servo horns and powerstroke shock adjustments? anybody think i need to go double servos? i been thinking it would make it easier on the horns....but @ over $100 for another hitec 7955TG i will have to save up for a while for that upgrade.

RC Champion
    I got this one for the maxx im working on. Havent tried it yet so I don't know how it will hold up but it looks good with the xtra clamping design. Is this the same one you have?
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/10384HA-Race...item35c8e20db9
    I think they also have the same one hard anodized.
    Last edited by EMAXXBRUSHLESS; 07-25-2013 at 12:41 PM.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by EMAXXBRUSHLESS View Post
    I got this one for the maxx im working on. Havent tried it yet so I don't know how it will hold up but it looks good with the xtra clamping design. Is this the same one you have?
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/10384HA-Race...item35c8e20db9
    I think they also have the same one hard anodized.
    yes that is exactly the one i have just blue...i was also checking out Hot-Racing servo arms. they look pretty robust but i havent heard anything about them. do you ever have issues running a single servo?

RC Champion
    Only rig I have right now with a single servo is my roadmaxx. hytec 7954 w/a non clamping type horn (forget the brand) Only problem i had was the screw holding the tie rod coming loose. A locknut fixed that. But I haven't bashed it either. Just a few roll overs. Still running the stockers on my backyard basher with stock saver spring tightened up a bit with a spacer. Works good for now. Taken some pretty good tumbles and still holding up. But if and when they do break most likely when lol I will most likely switch to a single servo setup. GH racing makes one too.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/GH-01177-Blu...-/350813520123
    Last edited by EMAXXBRUSHLESS; 07-25-2013 at 03:56 PM.

RC Enthusiast
    Only rig I have right now with a single servo is my roadmaxx. hytec 7954 w/a non clamping type horn (forget the brand) Only problem i had was the screw holding the tie rod coming loose. A locknut fixed that. But I haven't bashed it either. Just a few roll overs. Still running the stockers on my backyard basher with stock saver spring tightened up a bit with a spacer. Works good for now. Taken some pretty good tumbles and still holding up. But if and when they do break most likely when lol I will most likely switch to a single servo setup. GH racing makes one too.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/GH-01177-Blu...-/350813520123
    thanks for the feedback, yea i saw that GH one on ebay too. it actually looks a bit beefier maybe ill give it a shot. i bashed semi hard with the first one and at the beach in baja so i think the sand made it tough to steer and helped strip the teeth. i hope the new one isnt as bad gonna take it apart and inspect tonight.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Bayside Basher View Post
    thanks for the feedback, yea i saw that GH one on ebay too. it actually looks a bit beefier maybe ill give it a shot. i bashed semi hard with the first one and at the beach in baja so i think the sand made it tough to steer and helped strip the teeth. i hope the new one isnt as bad gonna take it apart and inspect tonight.
    Bayside, What kind of servo saver are you using?? It could be that your servo saver isn't doing its job? Some of the alum ones I have found don't break away from center very smoothly and tend to jam up putting all the force right into the servo arm. After two sets of servo gears in my basher I put the stock saver back in with a spacer to tighten up the black spring a bit and no problems since. I have a gh servo saver on my roadmaxx that I heated and formed a mylar washer in between the saver part to get it to work smoothly. Worked great but it didn't last I noticed last night while working on it the mylar washer wore out and got spit out the side. Now it jams right up in one direction. Think im going to bite the bullet and get a UE gen 2 saver for my project maxx build.

RC Enthusiast
    Bayside, What kind of servo saver are you using?? It could be that your servo saver isn't doing its job? Some of the alum ones I have found don't break away from center very smoothly and tend to jam up putting all the force right into the servo arm. After two sets of servo gears in my basher I put the stock saver back in with a spacer to tighten up the black spring a bit and no problems since. I have a gh servo saver on my roadmaxx that I heated and formed a mylar washer in between the saver part to get it to work smoothly. Worked great but it didn't last I noticed last night while working on it the mylar washer wore out and got spit out the side. Now it jams right up in one direction. Think im going to bite the bullet and get a UE gen 2 saver for my project maxx build.
    hey hey Emaxxbrushless. so i took it apart this past weekend. servo arm looked ok i think it could just be i needed to add some more thread lock to the screws. anyhow they seemed to hold fine for the 5 minutes or so i ran it till i melted the spur gear. i had recently returned my MM esc to castle for replacement and when i got it back it just didnt seem to have the same punch off the line it used to so i figured maybe it was the slipper clutch that needed to be adjusted i guess i tightened it too much cuz next thing you know the spur gear was toasted!

RC Champion
    Gear mesh is important. Did you use a pc of paper to set the mesh on the pinion/spur??

RC Enthusiast
    Gear mesh is important. Did you use a pc of paper to set the mesh on the pinion/spur??
    im kinda bad about doing regular maintenence on my rig, i just fix/replace what breaks as i go. with that being said i have never touched the gears or pinions till yesterday. does regular bashing require periodic gear mesh adjustment? either way i will be paying more attention to the gearing and mesh going forward. i was gonna replace spur and slipper with stock but at about $20 for the stock set up i would rather pay another 20-25 for something more robust. any thoughts on Robinson Racing Gen3 slipper unit? or my other option may be to check out the HOt-Racing slipper set up. im waiting for payday anyways so i have a few more days to do some research. if i get to wrench on the ride tonight i think im gonna swap out my shock oil. my powerstrokes came with 40k oil and i think it is too thin. gonna kick it up to 80k! they just seem too soft. i think i need to find another set of springs too.

Have you tried the Ofna servo arms?
    http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXAWJH&P=7
    Look out for the tree/crunch!

LiPo? Naw NITRO!!

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildman4910 View Post
    Have you tried the Ofna servo arms?
    http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXAWJH&P=7
    hey Wildman! love the avatar btw. but naw havent tried the ofna one but i hear good things about their products so i may have to give it a run. i also need to find a fairly thin locknut. the one i have is so thick it scrapes the servo when i turn left. i think im gonna bite the bullet and get a robinson racing gen3 slipper unit. $45 is kinda steep but i may as well get something i wont have to replace again soon.

You do realize the "cheap plastic spur" is meant to be a cheap fuse in the driveline right?

Once you put a steal spur on it you have moved the fuze to somewhere else in the drivetrain.

You will find the next weakest link sooner or later with a steel spur!

LiPo? Naw NITRO!!

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildman4910 View Post
    You do realize the "cheap plastic spur" is meant to be a cheap fuse in the driveline right?

Once you put a steal spur on it you have moved the fuze to somewhere else in the drivetrain.

You will find the next weakest link sooner or later with a steel spur!
    yea but cheap at $20 for the whole slipper set up is not cheap enough for me. besides i kinda like the fact that i know i have eliminated another weak link and even though i know i will end up with a new weak spot it will just be the next upgrade. i had the steel cvds now i run the FLM dogbones and i also have summit shafts for wheel drive shafts. im just tired of only getting to run for 10-20 min before i break something. maybe i will get a few runs out of my beast soon. im also trying to make this maxx as bulletproof as i can since there is a pretty dope BMX park by my pad i been itching to maxx out. hopefully get some pics and vids by next weekend maybe stay tuned

So get a HotRacing Double Up slipper & put the aluminum pads or the 4910 t maxx brake disc on it.
    http://www.hot-racing.com/index.cgi?...=TRX15GP;c=431

LiPo? Naw NITRO!!

RC Enthusiast
    so i had a yard sale this weekend and had time to wrench on my rig. i installed the Robinson Racing slipper. definitely loud not sure if i like the sound or not yet. i am taking it to the LHS to double check the gear mesh later this afternoon. but it seemed to still be stripping the servo horn. i took apart the servo saver and realized it was totally loose so i tightened the spring and tightened up all the screws but i think the racers edge horn is just not working for me. i could have stripped it before i figured out my servo saver was all loose. i think im gonna try out the ofna arm...