RC Champion

got a new charger

I upgraded to s powerlab 6 and bought a power supply from Jimmie. Probably a little overkill for charging 3 2200 mah batteries and 3 6000 mah batteries in parallel but I won't need a new charger for a LONG time. Now I need a way to protect it. Any suggestions?
    1:16 Slash VXL
    Stampede 4x4 3800kv
    Rustler VXL

RC Champion
    Nice choice! I have a PL8 and love it. I have mine in a tool box with my 1800watt power supply and a pair of Thunder Power 1010c chargers. I believe FMA sells a tote bag for the PL chargers as well.
    My tranny case is stock :D

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    If you look on progressive RC you can buy plastic hard cases with custom built shelves for the PL6... not cheap, but pretty cool. The PL6 is a stellar charger. As long as you feed it with enough juice, it can out charge just about any battery youll ever run. If your batteries are good quality you can charge them at 2C also... which is when having 40 amps really comes in handy. I charge my 2X 2S 8200mah SPC lipos at 2C (32.8 amps)... doesnt break a sweat.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Champion
    mine's in a cheap plastic tool box. Got to get round to making a better one, but isn't urgent yet. I have an old metal case frrom local market which i'm going to be using. luckily my supplies are small dimensions.
    Guide books aren't part of the packaging.

RC Champion
    just measured the internal resistance of my controller battery. cell one has 40 milliohm. cell 2 has 110 milliohm! time for a replacement!
    1:16 Slash VXL
    Stampede 4x4 3800kv
    Rustler VXL

RC Champion
    That's quite a high reading, my 30C packs read 3.5mΩ, even after a year. Are all the connections secure and firmware up to date.
    I see there is a new dual powerlab8 coming soon,
    Guide books aren't part of the packaging.

RC Champion
    I cant imagine carrying the Power supply for a dual PL8. My case with two Dell PowerEdge 900watt power supplies is heavy enough. I suppose it would be a bit lighter to use four smaller power supplies in series since they upped the input voltage to 48v

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by trax de max View Post
    That's quite a high reading, my 30C packs read 3.5mΩ, even after a year. Are all the connections secure and firmware up to date.
    I see there is a new dual powerlab8 coming soon,
    oh just rilly lovely. now i have to decide between 3 pl chargers 6,8 dual 8......least the dual 8 would set me for life but if it has a output of 80amps i will never have the psu's or lipo's to take full advantage of it rrrrr

sad thing is the heaviest lipo that im going to be useing in the next couple of years would be the spc 2s 8200mah but then 4 of them would put the pl8 dual on the list
    summit /mustang /stampede-2s spc lipo

Quote Originally Posted by reod12x2 View Post
    oh just rilly lovely. now i have to decide between 3 pl chargers 6,8 dual 8......least the dual 8 would set me for life but if it has a output of 80amps i will never have the psu's or lipo's to take full advantage of it rrrrr

sad thing is the heaviest lipo that im going to be useing in the next couple of years would be the spc 2s 8200mah but then 4 of them would put the pl8 dual on the list
    Just been taking my first real look at these..
    Oh my my my!!
    Definitely a powerhouse!
    Slash 2wd, Slash 4x4, 30th digger, Rustler VXL

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    If your the kind of person who MUST have ALL the bells and whistles, the PL6 or 8 are great. But if you just want a really high quality charger you can look at the iCharger 306 or 308's... 30 amps... excellent software. Still, the PL series are pretty awesome.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Champion
    One of the reasons I went with the PL8 over the PL6 is the PL8 can put out more power with lower input voltage. I believe the PL6 needs 30v to reach its maximum output, the PL8 can with 24v.

The other thing is I have been heavily into electric power for 14-15 years and have gone through many chargers in that time. I always buy towards the top of the line and I still find myself upgrading every few years. Although I still use my older chargers from time to time. My first "good" charger, an FMA SuperNova still does a great job of fast charging any Ni based packs, from 15cell cordless drills to 1cell glow igniters.

My list of chargers since '98
    FMA SuperNova
    Cermark SuperTurbo
    Westeknik 1-3cell lipo
    BP SC-2 two channel Lipo 1-4cell
    Astro 109 lipo/added the 109 life chip
    2x ThunderPower 1010c
    FMA PL8

For power supplies I have
    3x Dell PowerEdge 900watt
    Radio Shack 250 watt

Out of all of them the BP SC-2 is the only one that has failed, all the others still get used.