RC Racer

slow blinking red light after upgrading to 3s

I had a previous post about what i thought was a overheating issue. So i ran my truck again tonight, and i got a slow blinking red light after about 15 minutes. motor was hot and esc was pretty warm also. but the slow blinking red light means low voltage shut down?? so what would be causing this issue? brand new speed pack battery. 3s 30c 4200mah

RC Qualifier
    Now from what I've read here 3S isn't suggested to be used with the stock motor and if you do use it definitely gear it down. As for your issue since we know what battery you're using how about your gearing and is it only speed runs or bashing on grass (tall/short)/gravel?

RC Racer
    I have read that sometimes when you go to full throttle rapidly on the VXL-3 a large amp draw occurs and can cause large voltage sags, activating the LVC. Have you tried a different 3s pack to see if you get the same results?

And make sure ALL wires to and from the battery and vxl combo are all good and take it from there dude.plus it maybe a good idea to give traxxas a phone call for trouble shooting.......peace
    Famous last words...watch this!!!!

15 minutes on a 4200 mah pack is not out of the question,,,there are so many variables like driving style, terrain, gearing, and quality of the pack. You may just very well be hitting a legitimate low voltage. What are the cell voltages when you this happens?
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Racer
    I was running primarily on pavement. alot of high speed runs down my street. This is the only 3s pack i have ran with it so far, and i don't have another one to try. the gearing is stock, so maybe i need to gear down to a 9t pinion, but i don't want to loose any top end speed! And i did not check the cell voltage when i was done. But a great idea! i will check tomorrow when i take it out again for a test run. thanks for the help!

High speed runs and heavy braking will run a pack out fast dude ........peace

RC Qualifier
    Ok i want to put in my two cents here. I had very similar problems with my 3S lipo in my p4de vxl. On the cheaper packs the massive amounts of power being discharged causes the cell voltages to drop dramatically. It can be even more pronounced on taller gearing. SO what i believe is happening is that when you put the throttle down hard the truck snaps to attention anyone running a 3s knows what i mean well this high current discharge causes the voltage per cell to drop below the VXL3S Low voltage threshold. Therefore triggering the low voltage protection and causing the ESC to cut power by 50% or completely turn off depending on how low the actual cell voltages went. But the thing is the second u let off the throttle the voltage returns to normal so really it like a false positive. This is all done to protect the battery from being over discharged. If any cell in a lipo is discharged to below 2.5v per cell the battery will permanently fail. So the solution is to either get a voltage monitor like i did and monitor your lipo's cell voltages manually. My Venom meter lets me set an alarm when the volt per cell reaches a certain user defined level (in my case 3.2v per cell the recommended cutoff for my lipo's) when any one cell in my 3S hits that mark a LOUD alarm sounds from the volt meter and wont shut up till u disconnect it... this way i am able to turn off low voltage detection entirely and run my lipos using the ESC nimh setting. Eliminating the low voltage cutoff and false positives LOL

below is a pic of my setup any questions feel free to ask.

Nice write up dude I don't let my cells go below 3.0v or its permanent damage......peace

RC Qualifier
    This is the link to my low voltage alarm. It honestly works so much better using the VXL3S with low voltage off and a standalone voltage alarm. It is loud as **** and its only like 11 bucks... I found that my P4dE would go into low voltage after only like 10 mins of running on a 4000 mah 3s pack. i would come in and test the pack on my charger and find it well over the recommended cutoff voltage of (3.0v per cell) testing between 3.6-3.9 volts per cell.. that's a good 10 mins of run time easy before the manufacturer's recommended voltage threshold is reached. The really nice feature i like about this alarm in particular is that if you crush the throttle for instance and the battery voltage drops below your set threshold the alarm will sound, but as soon as the battery voltage rises above that set threshold again it will shut off. eliminating the false positive... IMHO for $11 dollars its fool proof peace of mind. I'm not affiliated with venom in any way nor am i pushing this product on anyone i'm only speaking from my own experience. There are many different voltage alarms out there made by many different manufacturers This one is good for 2-8s Lipo. Some batteries are most definitely better than others... The Velineon ESC's low voltage detection has a **** of a time with the cheaper cells.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...P?I=LXBVDG&P=8
    Last edited by T4KT1KZ; 07-26-2013 at 12:01 AM.