RC Enthusiast

jato transmission problem

Hi all

Am new to this forum and have owned jato for about two weeks. I have had a few peoblems with it in this time. They are as follows

* Tuning (sorted by shop that I bought it, until I got a dead glow plug, looked to lean as plug did not have much use on it and the coil seemed perhaps a little deformed.)

* Lost a shoe out of the slipper clutch and spur gear began to wobble (replaced the three shoes in the slipper clutch)

* Transmission locked up (motor starts but car wont run, can't even move it by hand as if the brakes are on, have checked the brake disc and pads but it doesn't seem to be them)

My questions I would like help with are.

Can I expect this car to be as unreliable as it has ie. losing clutch shoes with such minimal use, and transmission breaking?

What might the possible transmission problem be?

Love driving my jato while its going but in the 2 weeks of owning it it has been not working more than it has. I am getting to the point where I am thinking of asking for my money back from the shop where I purchased it.

Any help greatly appreciated

RC Racer
    Welcome to Nitro!! Is this a new or used jato..if its used , any rc will have some sort of issue and the tinkering that comes with said problems. Once new parts are installed it should be very reliable. Issue like this drive so many people away from thr hobby, unfortunately!
    T-MAXX 2.5R
    Slayer Pro
    Revo
    Monster Pirate

RC Competitor
    Welcome x2. To add to dudelittle's reply, think of it like a used (actual) car. Its going to need a few thing here and there to weed out the weak links as far as your trans goes it can't hurt to pull it apart and see what's going on use this for reference: http://traxxas.com/explodedviews/550...Qi-24GHz-Radio. Hope it helps

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks for the welcomes and help. I bought my jato brand new. Unfortunately I have decided to take it back and try to get my money. If the shop is not willing to do this I will have a look at fixing the transmission myself, as I can't afford to keep throwing money at it. I read a lot of things about the jato before I bought it and read that they are a really good car, maybe I got a dud. Don't get me wrong though while it is working Iove my jato its so fast and fun. Will update what happens.

Tha ks again for the welcomes and help.

RC Qualifier
    Don't get discouraged, most malfunctions can be traced back to user error. The slipper pad fell out because the slipper adjustment nut was loose. I've never had a transmission lock up so I can't say what's wrong, but I have stripped a lot of gears because I can't slow down. Repairing the Jato is easier than most Traxxas nitro's. If you jump much you'll need better lower suspension arms, RPM are the best and cheaper than the stock ones. You have to tune, to learn to tune. Just because someone that knows how tuned it, don't mean it's in tune. The carb on the 3.3 needs to be tuned every time you drive it. Most people's first nitro engine don't last long because of tuning. Get a hand held infrared temp sensor, it will help you keep your engine longer.

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks mark.

My jato is at the shop now. They wouldn't give my money back but offered to fix what ever is wrong with the transmission for free. I haven't got to jumping or anything yet, it hasn't even been off road yet. When I do go offroad I will certainly look into the suspension arms you have suggested. As per the infrared temp sensor what brand would you suggest?

RC Qualifier
    Sounds like you have a pretty good hobby store, most of them wouldn't do that. I wouldn't worry about the arms until you break one. Most all infrared's are accurate enough, find one you like in your price range and it should do the job. I have a Duratrax Flashpoint that I mainly got because of it's small size, it's been a pretty good one I've had it for awhile. I can't remember what it cost because I bought it with a lot of other stuff.

RC Enthusiast
    Turns out the transmission locked up due to the shift adjustment screw coming loose in the primary clutch. Still waiting on hobby shop to finish it, it's been about 11 days. Think I might fix it myself next time.