Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    PARKER COLO
    Posts
    736

    Drive shaft screws - stripping out hex head !!!!

    Installed a new rear diff on one of the Summit VXL and decided to change the drive shafts on both Summits to the e-revo 1/16 type. The screw that hold the drive shaft to the diff shafts are very difficult to remove. I have 4 different sets of hex wrenches, and even trying to make sure I had the best fit, the hex heads on the screws were stripping out. I had to pry the hex wrench to one side or the other to put leverage on the screw to get it to turn. One I had to cut it off and damaged the axle shaft from the diff that will have to be replaced. fortunately I had the drive shafts from Dollar hobbies and they included the new screws. No way could I have reinstalled the old screws.

    Any ideas on removing these screws? Are they cheap screws? are my tools junk? What hex tool is best in 1.5mm?

    Any ideas on getting them out once they are stripped?

    Thanks for any ideas or suggestions.
    "Better Old and Devious than Young and Exuberant"

  2. #2
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    373
    They are thread locked into the metal I believe. I had problem too. The revo shafts are plastic, much easier.

  3. #3
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    PARKER COLO
    Posts
    736
    Quote Originally Posted by robl45 View Post
    They are thread locked into the metal I believe. I had problem too. The revo shafts are plastic, much easier.
    Yea I noticed the thread lock on the screw when I removed it. Even so the screws should come out of there.
    Any ideas on removing these screws? Are they cheap screws? are my tools junk? What hex tool is best in 1.5mm?

    Any ideas on getting them out once they are stripped?

    Thanks for any ideas or suggestions.
    "Better Old and Devious than Young and Exuberant"

  4. #4
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    373
    Quote Originally Posted by BRICK57 View Post
    Yea I noticed the thread lock on the screw when I removed it. Even so the screws should come out of there.
    Any ideas on removing these screws? Are they cheap screws? are my tools junk? What hex tool is best in 1.5mm?

    Any ideas on getting them out once they are stripped?

    Thanks for any ideas or suggestions.
    once they are stripped, thats very tough, you could try drilling them out. Have a scar on my knee from 25 years ago when I drillout out a stripped set screw, drill bit snapped and went across my knee.

    I have lots of allen wrenches over 25+ years of doing this stuff, usually you can find one that fits a little better, you'd be surprised. The 3 screws that hold the diff together, I was using an allen wrench in 2 of them and they worked fine, the 3rd one the wrench spun in it. I got another allen wrench that was just slightly bigger and it fits fine. Won't fit the other 2 screws though.

    Honestly though, if its truly stripped, the easiest thing is a new rear end or front end for 20 bucks or less.

  5. #5
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    PARKER COLO
    Posts
    736
    Quote Originally Posted by robl45 View Post
    once they are stripped, thats very tough, you could try drilling them out. Have a scar on my knee from 25 years ago when I drillout out a stripped set screw, drill bit snapped and went across my knee.

    I have lots of allen wrenches over 25+ years of doing this stuff, usually you can find one that fits a little better, you'd be surprised. The 3 screws that hold the diff together, I was using an allen wrench in 2 of them and they worked fine, the 3rd one the wrench spun in it. I got another allen wrench that was just slightly bigger and it fits fine. Won't fit the other 2 screws though.

    Honestly though, if its truly stripped, the easiest thing is a new rear end or front end for 20 bucks or less.
    I have also found that with the 4 set of hex wrenches I have. Some fit better than others. I did drill the screw out went right through the side of the diff axle. Ordered another rear diff and will have to install it. Oh well live and learn in the world of R/C.
    "Better Old and Devious than Young and Exuberant"

  6. #6
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Spring valley mn
    Posts
    1,135
    A good set of hex drivers is a wise investment if you are going to be wrenching on trucks. http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXFAK6&P=7 I have a set like this different brand but the look very similar. The tips are much harder and more accurately sized than the average L wrench.
    My tranny case is stock :D

  7. #7
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. Petertje60's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Rotterdam, Netherlands
    Posts
    7,031
    First help to prevent stripping screws is the right tool. When they are stripped, the drive shaft screws are not easy to get out. Drilling is the best option I guess.
    What important is with those, is to check if there is no dirt inside which would prevent the wrench go deep enough when you try to get them out with stripping them as a risk.
    I got the screws out quite a few times by now and never stripped a single one.
    Nobody is born with experience.

  8. #8
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    373
    anyone have advice on how to best get the dirt out of the screw?

  9. #9
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    PARKER COLO
    Posts
    736
    Quote Originally Posted by robl45 View Post
    anyone have advice on how to best get the dirt out of the screw?
    I think he means out of the hex head. I use an air compressor to do that. Its really a great reminder because I did not air out the screws before I wrenched on them. Don't think that was the problem but might have been.
    "Better Old and Devious than Young and Exuberant"

  10. #10
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. Wolfslash16's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Riverton Utah
    Posts
    4,116
    My friends's mini Summit had this same problem, but all 4 screws where stripped. It took for ever to drill out all those screws! Part of the problem is the screws had rusted to the shafts.
    Sl2sh Slayer Summit Sl4sh 1/18 Rally/Teton T-Maxx

  11. #11
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    373
    Quote Originally Posted by BRICK57 View Post
    I think he means out of the hex head. I use an air compressor to do that. Its really a great reminder because I did not air out the screws before I wrenched on them. Don't think that was the problem but might have been.
    Could be, unfortunately, I don't have an air compressor, any other ways? I notice the metal summit drive shaft hexhead seems to fill with dirt while the revo plastic one doesn't.

  12. #12
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    PARKER COLO
    Posts
    736
    Quote Originally Posted by robl45 View Post
    Could be, unfortunately, I don't have an air compressor, any other ways? I notice the metal summit drive shaft hexhead seems to fill with dirt while the revo plastic one doesn't.
    You can buy compressed air at the office supply stores with the small straw piece attached to the nozzle that works pretty good.

    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfslash16 View Post
    My friends's mini Summit had this same problem, but all 4 screws where stripped. It took for ever to drill out all those screws! Part of the problem is the screws had rusted to the shafts.
    Mine were only two days old. No rust thank god. After trying to drill it out I agree with post #4 to just replace the diffs.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 07-24-2013 at 03:28 PM. Reason: merge
    "Better Old and Devious than Young and Exuberant"

  13. #13
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Soldotna, Alaska
    Posts
    730
    Quote Originally Posted by robl45 View Post
    Could be, unfortunately, I don't have an air compressor, any other ways? I notice the metal summit drive shaft hexhead seems to fill with dirt while the revo plastic one doesn't.
    I use the tip of a knife to break the dirt up then either a air compressor or can of compressed air to blow it out.

    Sent from my SCH-R760 using Tapatalk 2
    Using while stupid may cause serious injury.

  14. #14
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    373
    Ill have to look for the air. The knife I've done, but in those small holes, it only does so well

  15. #15
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    17
    I had the same situation. All new and clean. The provided with car 1,5 mm hex wrench just slipped inside the screw head. Did some calculation and measuring, ordered Bondhus inch series set with 1/16 key. Fitted like a glove! All come nicely open, no problemos. Supposed to be mm screws all through, well maybe threads... Maybe the Taiwanese run out of mm head screws and had to use inch... Someone's just been ignorant or this is just one way team U.S.A. scores a goal, got me buying more stuff

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •