Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Nice build! Also, very nice write up on the shocks!
    Sl2sh Slayer Summit Sl4sh Teton/Rally T-Maxx Pnde

RC Racer
    Looking great warfighter! If you decide to do anther one for proceeds going to the WWP, please let me know. I'll be sure to donate some funds or buy some parts and have them shipped to you. Since your in Germany, you have an FPO address i could mail some stuff too? IT will make it cheap and easy for me to do mil to mil. As for Jalalabad, we are so fortunate that some survived... geeze it was a mess. Not just that day earlier this year, but i know a couple snake eaters who sacrificed their lives for their fellow men and ultimately country last year in Afghanistan. We could do a whole other thread on mis managed intel, personnel and ops... but we'll save that for a pint if and when i can make a stop in Germany! I loved SOCOM, actually was pulled over to SOCCENT to support their efforts and JSOC's. I'm not a gun toting warrior such as yourself... I'm a targeteer and do J2X work. Thank you for your service and i'm glad to see you're taking every opportunity to enjoy life!

- Joe
    "Incoming rounds always have the right of way!"

RC Enthusiast
    Man great work on the truck! Can you please give more details on dying body black? Keep it up!

RC Qualifier
    Nice Build. I'm looking forward to see how you paint the new body.
    Just Bash it!
    4x4 Pede
    Two 2wd Pede

RC Racer
    Man that thing looks sick, I can't wait for the final outcome!

RC Racer
    Jay Bob: I believe warfighter is referencing the chassis being dyed. I'm not speaking for him, so I'll warfighter Elaborate.

Dying the chassis is easy. I was worried before I would mess it up, but its actually unbeleivably easy. Go to Walmart and get some "RIT DYE". It's very cheap.

Boil some water in a pan that is large enough to fit your ha said in. Once the water is to a boil, add the entire packet f dye. Stir it around good. Now keep the temp on low to medium to man rain heat. Soak the has sis in the dye. Maybe do one side 30 mins and then flip it over for another 30 mins. Take out and dry.

NOTE: before you dye the chassis, please make sure to clean your chassi well. Any grease or dirt will remain and the dye will not take well in those locations.

Joe
    "Incoming rounds always have the right of way!"

RC Racer
    Just a quick reply before work:

Quote Originally Posted by spenniepoos View Post
    And your tyres are going the wrong way on the right side........peace
    Quote Originally Posted by soundmaster View Post
    Oh oh - reglued the wrong way
    I knew I could not slip anything beyond you guys! YES! I actually thought it would be fun to flip the treat on all of them, but I was obviously distracted and messed it up!
    Last edited by warfighter; 07-29-2013 at 10:27 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Awesome build! As for the Tekno CVDS I can't remember who said that it wouldn't be a good idea to use it on 3S or something to that effect which is what made me buy the MIPS X DUTY because I was really looking at the Tekno CVDS.

Both tekno and mip can take huge power without breaking a sweat dude ......peace
    Famous last words...watch this!!!!

RC Racer

Update #4

Full Throttle + Construction Barrier Rack = Busted Parts!

They are building a new playground behind our apartment building, and there are massive piles of dirt and gravel. It's really a great little place to bash around in. The entire construction site is closed off with 8' high steel construction barriers. Yesterday I was doing some speed runs in the alley next to the site, when BAM! I ran it head long, full throttle in to one of the heavy duty construction barrier racks! The left front A-Arm clipped the the frame that holds the barriers in their storage configuration when they are not being used on the job site. The truck was wedged underneath the storage rack, and I had to pull pretty hard on it to get it out. I estimate the truck was going 30+ mph when it impacted the rack...

You guys know that "crunch" sound you hear, and you just know something is broken...? I heard that sound...and here are the results:

Is that a Traxxas Stampede 4x4 poking out from under that steel construction rack?

Upon closer inspection... Yep, it sure is! Hey, wait a minute - That wheel is not supposed to be there!

Oh yeah - That's definitely out of alignment!

Tekno driveshafts, Pro-Line suspension arms, and GTR shocks are rock solid, but it did snap the Tekno steering block and stock Traxxas camber block!

After sliding the wounded beast out from under the storage rack...

Honey, I think I need to order some more parts!

Don't worry Dad, I can still play with it!

So...needless to say - I have some more parts on order! It's really a minor setback, it just takes time for shipping. We are taking the kids on a mini-vacation this weekend, I'll post another update next week! I did get my SMC 3s Factory Spec 11.1V 5100mAh 40C batteries in! C'mon Castle Creations motor!
    Last edited by warfighter; 08-01-2013 at 03:10 PM.

RC Qualifier
    WoW sorry to hear about that accident. Did your tekno CVD shaft break?

RC Racer
    Hey bro, thanks! Nope, the Tekno shaft is fine - I was honestly surprised it did not snap as hard as I hit it. I'll try and get some close-up pics of it before we leave tomorrow!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by warfighter View Post
    Hey bro, thanks! Nope, the Tekno shaft is fine - I was honestly surprised it did not snap as hard as I hit it. I'll try and get some close-up pics of it before we leave tomorrow!
    FYI: Keep a shot gun in your house cause you daughter will break some hearts lol

Dude it look like you drove it like you stole it man.Hope you get back on the road soon and its nice to see you training up the family as well......peace

RC Champion
    Bummer! XO-1 aluminum steering knuckles and c-hubs work very nicely with Tekno driveshafts.
    Pro-2 SCB 2xSuperMaxx Revo-E SCT410

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by SLW-SVT View Post
    looking good! i'd like to see some side profile pics to see how low the body sits. I really can't stand the way stock pedes have the whole chassis at/below the body line.
    Me too, so i lowered mine, but then got annoyed when i had to keep trimming my newly painted bodies because of wheel rub. So then i put my 4x4 Stampede back to stock height, and found that some bodies still rub (slightly) with trenchers - such as the proline raptor body! I emailed them moaning and they admitted it does rub a bit but it's not a major issue. Which i agreed with, but did think it was a bit silly that their body rubs their tyres on a stock stampede. Hey ho. Rant over.

RC Racer
    Your daughter looks just like my sister! Soon, she'll be driving the truck and you'll see that damage ALL the time. My little brother turned on the controller to my car while I was letting him hold it and I turned on the truck, he held full throttle... and all you could here was the motor spinning and then CRASH! The front axles SPLIT in two and my front A-arms were obliterated. The truck was going about 40+ MPH with 17t pinion gear.

RC Racer
    Thanks for the kind words! No shotgun, but I do have a Glock! She is super cute and LOVES "working on the truck" she says. I have been taping a piece of high density foam behind the trigger on the controller and letting her drive it. She loves it!

Quote Originally Posted by SLW-SVT View Post
    Bummer! XO-1 aluminum steering knuckles and c-hubs work very nicely with Tekno driveshafts.
    Thanks for posting the pic! They do fit don't they!? I will look at getting some. I do not remember, are you using the XO-1 rear stub axle carriers as well? I assume they would fit over the Tekno shafts, since the shaft diameter is the same as the front.

RC Qualifier
    Thanks for the kind words! No shotgun, but I do have a Glock! She is super cute and LOVES "working on the truck" she says. I have been taping a piece of high density foam behind the trigger on the controller and letting her drive it. She loves it!

Thanks for posting the pic! They do fit don't they!? I will look at getting some. I do not remember, are you using the XO-1 rear stub axle carriers as well? I assume they would fit over the Tekno shafts, since the shaft diameter is the same as the front.

Dude that's an awesome idea about the high density foam man now I can let my 4 yr old son drive my Pede.

RC Champion
    unfortunately there are no rear carriers on the market that will work with the Tekno stubs because of the large inner bearing. I just have extra tekno carriers for when/if they brake.

If you want to widen your truck further I would recommend these wheels. They are 3.2" wheels but you can cut 2.8" tires to fit. RPM Revolver Stablemaxx (part # 82302) offset and they widen the track 1.2"
    http://www.rpmrcproducts.com/product...r/Revolver.htm

How long do you think the pede will be out of action dude.I hate down time it drives me crazy........peace

RC Qualifier
    How's the project going? Did you fix the Pede yet? Anxiously waiting on your build buddy.

RC Racer

Update #5

Finally!

I have been waiting for one singular package from A-Main for 6-weeks! I was getting discouraged and beginning to think it wasn't going to arrive. All of the other shipments from them have taken 7-10 days, which is pretty quick to Germany. It wasn't their fault, I clicked the wrong shipping option and it literally took forever for it to arrive! I've been dead in the water until this past weekend!

The Castle Creations 3800kv motor and MMP ESC arrived, but I have not installed it yet. It's getting pretty rainy over here, and I wanted to waterproof it (the MMP) with Plasti-Dip before I installed it. Here are the mods that went in this weekend:

First up, 3.2" RPM Revolvers wrapped in 2.8" Pro-Line Trenchers! I taped up the tires with Gorilla Glue and let them setup overnight before installing them.

Next up were the Tekno 17mm Driveshaft Adapters, Traxxas Aluminum Caster Blocks & Aluminum Bulkheads. I have to say, the Traxxas aluminum caster blocks are top notch! They are very well constructed, and really make the front of the truck pop. The Tekno 17mm adapters are also very well made. They do not have as much *bling* to them, but they are definitely beefy and will not strip!

Up next, a surprise upgrade - I took a Traxxas Slash 4x4 Rear Bumper and added a pair of Traxxas Aluminum Wheels to the rear bumper. This bumper is MUCH wider than the stock wheelie bar and it's sturdy. The aluminum wheels look great on it!

I took the truck out in the rain for a bit today. The asphalt behind our apartments was slippery, but the Trenchers gripped nicely. Even with the stock Velineon motor and a 2s battery I was able to wheelie the truck from a standstill and out of sharp turns. The tires are very impressive!

It was great to finally get the truck back out! I had an awesome time, right up until I was showing off for my neighbor and blasted myself in the shin at full throttle with the truck... I am too proud to post a picture of the wound lol... It was worth it though!

I should be able to get the CC 3800kv/MMP in this week, and I have a couple of SMC 3s batteries on standby! Also, I received the inkjet printer and sticker paper I needed to make the decals, so you will start to see some pics of the body as I work on it.

Hope you guys are well!!
    Last edited by warfighter; 08-25-2013 at 08:44 AM.

RC Champion
    wow that looks awesome!

RC Qualifier
    WoW she's look AWESOME!

Dude the truck looks sick and its good to see you back in the driving seat tooHope you and your family are all good.......peace

Spencer

RC Qualifier
    Trucks looking good! I, too have hit myself with the truck, but never at full throttle or no wounds. Ouch! Thats a painful lesson.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Hirschowl View Post
    Trucks looking good! I, too have hit myself with the truck, but never at full throttle or no wounds. Ouch! Thats a painful lesson.
    Thanks guys! Yes, it was a painful lesson. Do not drive the truck in a narrow alleyway! There are lots of other places to drive it around here, but it was raining, and I did not feel like standing out in it. As you said, lesson learned!

Spencer, everyone is doing well! Hopefully the weather breaks, and I can let me daughter drive it some today! Off to work!

The only wound I have had from my pede is when I first got trenchers I gunned the throttle while holding it in the right hand and in a flash it took the skin off my wrist lol......peace

RC Turnbuckle Jr. humayrayakongkinaon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by spenniepoos View Post
    The only wound I have had from my pede is when I first got trenchers I gunned the throttle while holding it in the right hand and in a flash it took the skin off my wrist lol......peace
    I know how this one feels, I did the same thing

..and warfighter, great looking rig man. i'm also running Tekno but paired it with XO-1 stub axles along with XO-1 c-hubs/carriers.
    | Rally GT8 Powered By CC |

RC Qualifier
    Nice looking rig dude. I sure do like my 3.2" wheels, but I went with 3.2" tires as mine are on a sl4shmt where it looks somewhat right sized. I got the14mm hex version, which of course now I regret. I lookin forward to see how yer 17mm adapters hold up on, I may have to get me some, heh.

PM me if ya wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex!
    Pic #5 in post 63 is exactly what any pede should look like... imo...

The front body mounts... how did you mount the proline studs??? I put mine into the pede mounts.
    Last edited by rag6; 08-27-2013 at 02:05 AM.
    Wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh ???

RC Racer
    I just realized I said Gorilla GLUE in post #63 when I referenced the wheels/tires. I did not use glue, I used Gorilla TAPE!

Quote Originally Posted by humayrayakongkinaon View Post
    I know how this one feels, I did the same thing

..and warfighter, great looking rig man. i'm also running Tekno but paired it with XO-1 stub axles along with XO-1 c-hubs/carriers.
    Thanks for the compliment! I am definitely going to look in to the XO-1 parts as well. I was not aware that they would fit until recently. I like the way that they look, and they add that extra bling to the front of the truck. I do not want to *over* bling, I also like the idea of having a *give* point. I will have to find some XO-1 steering knuckles in red.

Quote Originally Posted by rag6 View Post
    Pic #5 in post 63 is exactly what any pede should look like... imo...

The front body mounts... how did you mount the proline studs??? I put mine into the pede mounts.
    Haha, I agree! I like it with the body lowered as well. The body mounts - I have gone through about 3-4 different combinations of body mounts up to this point. I will tell you that I like the Pro-line mounts the best so far. However, I also screwed them in to the stock plastic mounts and ripped two of them out after flipping on pavement. I am going to see if I can fab something up that uses the Pro-line body mount caps, with a bolt or something to hold them in place so they do not strip off on impact.

I also am a fan of velcro along the chassis, but it does not work well when you are using an Outwears cover. You cannot get the body low enough on the chassis to attach it with velcro, because the the Outwears is already velcro'ed along the sides - if that makes sense?

RC Champion
    I also am a fan of velcro along the chassis, but it does not work well when you are using an Outwears cover. You cannot get the body low enough on the chassis to attach it with velcro, because the the Outwears is already velcro'ed along the sides - if that makes sense?
    I also use this method. For me this works best with the lower body mod, but for sure not with a shroud. Due to heat accumulation i am not a big fan of shrouds anyway, except for the winter.

RC poster
    Foam behind the trigger is great until they figure out reverse. Then it is full speed backwards into a solid object. TQI dock allows you to adjust the training mode from 0-100% power both forward and reverse. This is how my 2 year old drives his truck.

Dude will have some pics for you to see in a few days new shell and look going on.............peace

RC Champion
    I will have to find some XO-1 steering knuckles in red.
    That's not going to happen unfortunately. You could send the blue ones off to get anodized red. If you are feeling really ambitious you can look up how to anodize your own parts at home..

RC Qualifier
    The 2.8 Trenchers look Awesome on 3.2 revolvers. I need to do that! What did you gear the truck too with those tires ans rims?
    Just Bash it!
    4x4 Pede
    Two 2wd Pede

RC Racer

Update #6

Spencer you have an avatar! Congrats man!

Hi fellas! I did not realize how much I missed this forum, until I had to spend some time away from it. Work has been busy, and it's been several weeks since I have been able to get on for an update. The truck is coming along nicely, and I've been able to get out and drive it quite a bit! I finally received the CC 3800kv motor and MMP from A-Main. I waited 7-weeks for the package to arrive. It wasn't their fault, the package simply got lost in the military mail system in Europe. The wait was rough, but I am glad it is here now!

Castle Creations 3800kv Motor & Mamba Max Pro ESC:

In the spirit of building this truck bomb proof; One of the things I was looking for in a motor was a 5mm shaft. I had considered the CC 2400kv motor, but I was not interested in putting in a 5mm motor repair kit to get the shaft I wanted.

The 5mm shaft with a 17t Novak 32-Pitch Steel Pinion Gear:

Here is the MMP after waterproofing it with Plasti-Dip:

Here is the motor/ESC combo installed:

I found the easiest solution to mounting the on/off switch for the MMP was to simply super-glue it to the side of the ESC case. A word of caution though - I noticed that after a couple of frontal impacts (hitting curbs, trees, jumps etc) that the ESC switch would actually shut itself off on impact. I think an easy fix for this would be to mount the on/off switch in a side-to-side configuration. It's nothing earth shattering, but it had me puzzled for a few minutes while I was trying to figure out why the truck was shutting off!

Other than the issue with the on/off switch, the truck runs great! The CC 3800kv is a FAST motor, do not let anyone tell you otherwise. Currently it is geared 15/54 and running on 3s batteries it can wheelie on demand. I have to ease the throttle on otherwise the truck will flip. I will find a nice flat open spot for some speed runs and post the results. I have a few more upgrades I am looking at for the chassis, but it is nearly complete. Up next is the body!

Last edited by warfighter; 10-01-2013 at 03:49 AM.

RC Champion
    Nice Combo and waterproof too now. Friend of mine uses the same in his Stampede 4x4 and is very happy.