RC Qualifier

BeadLock Question

I run the Masher 40 series tires with the 3.8 BeadLock rims on my Emax. I did the duct tape thing, and balanced all four tire (as you guys suggested). Both, the duck tape and the balancing thing made a huge difference, and I thank you all for the tips. My only problem now is; ever since I took my wheels apart my tires slip out of the BeadLock ring. At first, all four did it. I tried using hairspray to provide some stick. Plus, I re-drilled the holes and installed 2.5 x 10 mm hex srews replacing the 2.0 x 10 mm ones in order to get the ring tighter. Since I've done that, only two tires have broken loose. Unfortunately, two is two to many.

The only thing left (that I know to do) is to glue them. I hate to do that, cuz I like knowing I can take-em apart if I have to. Do any of you guys have any suggestions, or is glueing my only recourse?

RC Champion
    When you did the hair spray did you give it some time to dry before you drove it? Both of my trucks bead locks have been holding well after giving the hair spray time to set.
    My tranny case is stock :D

RC Qualifier
    Yes. I did the tires last week, and played with it yesterday. I could try the hairspray one more time. I wonder if a bead of servo tape would do the trick?

RC Champion
    I was trying to think of a less than permanent adhesive you could try, but I'm coming up blank. Hair spray or styling gel has done the trick for my Ti22's and Maximizer's.

RC Champion
    Buzzsaw, What tires are you running on your ti22 beadlock wheels?

RC Champion
    I have Imex Trail Dawgs on them right now, but have also run Pro-Line Max Mulchers on them.

RC Champion
    If you bash the Ti22's hard enough to break the lock rings the Maximizer rings fit and are a bit more durable, and are available as spare parts from Maximizer.

RC Champion
    Thanks that's good to know. I have proline maxx mashers #1075-00 on mine. They seem to lock into the rims good. But after reading this thread im wondering if I should glue them too? or hair spray? Never heard of using hair spray.
    How are those cast alum hubs holding up on your ti22S?

RC Champion
    I have the machined hubs on mine, but I have bent the rims. When I have them apart you can see the imprint on the hubs on the back side of them. I haven't noticed any wobbling though.

Hair spray is an old handle bar grip trick from back in my BMX days. I cant remember if I have had the tires come loose since I put in the Maximizer lock rings, I think I did so I added a rage ring on one side and I haven't had a problem since, I couldn't get the rims together with two rage rings.

RC Champion
    Where did you get the machined hubs to fit the ti22? Do you have apic of them?

RC Champion
    I cant recall the name of the hub maker, but mine came with the machined hubs. I bought a set for a friend and his have the machined hubs also. I'll try and get a pic of them today, I know I don't have any taken.

Jeez now I'm gonna be racking my mind trying to remember who it was that was making those hubs.

RC Qualifier
    When I did the hair spray thing, I just did the tire/rim contact area. I was wondering if I did the tire/rim contact area...AND the tire/securing ring contact area, if that would do the trick. Or, is that how you guyz do it anyway?

RC Champion
    I do both inside and outside. You probably do this already, but taping the tires should help as well.

RC Qualifier
    what size rims do I need when mounting proline road rage tires? I bought rpm revolver wheels with the half inch offset but they are skinner than the despaerados. I used to have desperados with the road rage tires stocked mounted but I sold them.
    Also what tires are on this emaxx?
    http://www.rctech.net/forum/attachme...e-dscn2552.jpg

RC Competitor
    You could maybe try something like right stuff gasket maker. I has some good bonding yet still has plenty of flex. And it's black.

RC Champion
    Those look like 40 series Bowties. Not 100% sure on rims for your Road Rage tires, but I think you need 3.8" rims instead of the 3.2" RPM's.

RC Qualifier
    i just measured my RPM Revolver wheel and it is roughly 3.4" in diameter and roughly 2.2" wide, thick, what do you refer to about the 3.8 size?

RC Champion
    Looks like I will be trying some Panther Meat Grinders on the Ti22's soon, I snagged up a set for $33 shipped.

RC Qualifier
    Buzz, when I taped and balanced my tires is when I started having the tires break lose from the rims. I'm going to try doing both sides of the tires with hair spray tonight.

Also, does anyone make a 3.8, 40 series aluminum Beadlock rim. The only place I could find was a site called JPS Pro. The prblem was, I couldn't figure out how to order them.

RC Champion
    Weird, I would have thought controlling tire stretch would have helped.

EMB here is a pic of the machined Ti22 hub, never did recall who made them.

RC Champion
    Thanks for the pic buzz. Those look nice. If you happen to come across any more of them for sale let me know.
    Last edited by EMAXXBRUSHLESS; 07-23-2013 at 08:41 AM.

RC Champion
    If I stumble across any I'll let you know, but I haven't seen any in 4-5 years.

I'm starting to wonder if 3.2" tires wont go extinct before I have a chance to make the rims worth while. Imex and Panther seem to be the only places to get 3.2's any more.

RC Champion
    My Panther Meat Grinders showed up today. I was hoping they would be a bit more aggressive, like my Maxx Mulchers. Why did ProLine have to discontinue the Mulchers, they are awesome on grass, stick like Velcro!!

Anyway, I got the Grinders taped up, stuffed with ProLine molded foams, and mounted on the Ti22s, just have to let the hair spray set up, not too hard since its raining. These do have a beefier bead than the Imex and Proline tires so I expect they will stay put quite well.

RC Champion
    You can still find the 3.2 mashers pretty easily on ebay. That's what I put on mine.

RC Champion
    Better than 90% of my bashing takes place on grass, so I focus on tires that I think will work best in that environment. So far that has been the Mulchers, I hope the Grinders do well, and I suspect they will. I'm very close to pulling the trigger on a set of Imex Step Dawgs. Badlands would probably do well also, but I haven't found any in 3.2".

HPI still makes quite a few 3.2" tires. The GTs are a very good all terrain tire. One of my bash buds has them on his Savage and they have worn well on a wide range of surfaces, from grass, to gravel, to asphalt they are holding up well.

Found a pic of his tires on my Emaxx.

RC Champion
    The Grinders are very good on grass, about the only thing I can knock them on is the side walls are too soft and the fronts seem to slide to the inside, it doesn't cause any problems it just looks funny. The beads are staying locked in, but I expected that with the thickness of the beads, I probably wouldn't have needed the hair spray.

RC Qualifier
    Before I glued my tires on last night, I cleaned the hair spray off. I could see where the hair spray had spooged over and was on the ring side too. Also for some reason, the places where my tires broke lose, there wasn't any hair spray on the rim. I don't understand why that was, cuz I brushed the hair spray on the rim thick when I applied it. Anyway when I seen that, I decided to use glue. I never glued tires on before, but it wasn't nearly as hard as I thought it would be.

It's to bad they don't make Masher tires anymore, cuz they have worked very well for me. The only surfaces I don't run on is black top and gravel, and those Mashers seem to be able handle it all.
    Last edited by ReglarDude; 07-27-2013 at 04:07 AM.

RC Champion
    It is disappointing that Proline has eliminated so many of their tried and true products. I understand wanting to keep fresh new product, but why cant they keep some of the old popular items.

I just saw a set of power stroke shocks on ebay for $200 so it is obvious they are still in demand. They had that nice servo saver steering set up for the T-maxx that has been gone for years, and they also had very nice Maxx bumpers. I have the servo saver in my BB T, and the bumpers on both of my trucks.

I don't know how long a mold lasts, but maybe they run till the molds are used up then switch things up. Just frustrating that so many good products have been discontinued after a quite short production run.

RC Champion
    Hey buzz, I have one of those proline performance steering kits I picked up on e-bay. #6019-00 Do they work good? and it should also fit the e-maxx?

RC Champion
    I have had no problems with mine. It should work with your E-maxx since you have an aluminum chassis. I think the stock plastic chassis would require some mods.

RC Qualifier
    Well, tried the ol' Emax out with the Beadlocks glued, and I got to say things worked out well. I ran the urine out of that son born out of wedlock, and it kept wanting more. Needless to day, I had a ball!

I bought a set of Big Joe's and Beadlocks the other day. The prices were really good. Fourty dollars for four 3.8 (40) series rims, and thirty dollars for four Big Joe tires...all new! I couldn't pass that up. I'm going to take what I learned here, and apply it to my new set. Anyway, thanks for all the inputs.

RC Champion
    What kind of beadlocks did you get??

RC Qualifier
    I got the AX8042 eight spoke black 3.8 rims. The rims on my truck now are like the new one's, but have eight holes. They are AX8014's, but I'm not sure if they are still being manufactured.