RC Turnbuckle Jr. humayrayakongkinaon's Avatar

soldering station?

I'm in the market for a good soldering station to practice my skills I don't wanna rely with my LHS doing all the soldering for me lol and I wanna make sure I got a good decent one so, any help are greatly appreciate it, thanks in advance.

found this on ebay,
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yihua-937BD-...item2a2e852391

thanks all.
    | Rally GT8 Powered By CC |

RC Qualifier
    I've heard Hakkos are good? I currently own a few irons from Harbor Freight and I'm considering upgrading. I'll be watching this thread closely.

Hakko FX-888D.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hakko-FX888D...-/281104049653

I've had my FX-888 for a couple/few years now and it's awesome! The FX-888D is the latest model and has replaced the standard FX-888. Looks to be basically the same unit, but has a digital display instead of the analog knob.

wow that thing is small yet very smart, I like it.

Quote Originally Posted by humayrayakongkinaon View Post
    wow that thing is small yet very smart, I like it.
    Sure is! The new digital station does have some extra features that can come in handy too.

Hakko is a big name for soldering stations. Many of the popular r/c stations are made by Hakko. Trak Power, Team Checkpoint and many others are re-branded Hakko 936 stations. And the 936 is many years old and two or three models ago by Hakko standards. They're just that good!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gy9ixJvH89M
    Last edited by harry697; 07-20-2013 at 10:47 PM.

the one from my LHS looks like the trak power and it sure serve them well. I like all the features and what not but, is it just me or that looks a bit toyish? even the one I link above looks toyish. no offense.
    Last edited by humayrayakongkinaon; 07-20-2013 at 11:09 PM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    I have a TrakPower 950 and do quite a bit of intricate and heavy soldering building power supplies. Before the station was given to me by a member here, I used a 60 watt pencil type iron and a Weller gun. I have since sold all my pencils and still have my gun around for the really heavy stuff, but I use the 950 for everything else. Before I had this thing I thought pencils were the way to go... this station has proven me wrong!
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

the one from my LHS looks like the trak power and it sure serve them well. I like all the features and what not but, is it just me or that looks a bit toyish? even the one I link above looks toyish. no offense.
    That seems to be the only real complaint about that station. "Fisher Price Blue" has been used to describe it fairly often. I have to agree that it does kinda look toy-ish, but once you use it, you'll know that it's far from a toy.

My son bought the Team Checkpoint station, mostly because that is what the hobby shop he works at carries and he gets the employee discount. It works very well and get a ton of use. I think they sell them for $69.95
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

so what would be my best choice, I have a low budget of $80 lol.

so what would be my best choice, I have a low budget of $80 lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie Neutron View Post
    I have a TrakPower 950 and do quite a bit of intricate and heavy soldering building power supplies. !
    Quote Originally Posted by Dadx2mj View Post
    My son bought the Team Checkpoint station, mostly because that is what the hobby shop he works at carries and he gets the employee discount. It works very well and get a ton of use. I think they sell them for $69.95

Keep in mind that both of these stations are re-badges Hakko 936's. Awesome units, but for an additional $20 or less, you get an extra 20 watts of power and the updated features of the FX-888D.

Quote Originally Posted by harry697 View Post
    Keep in mind that both of these stations are re-badges Hakko 936's. Awesome units, but for an additional $20 or less, you get an extra 20 watts of power and the updated features of the FX-888D.
    Yeah we knew it was a re badged Hakko but when you get the employee discount and the availability of bringing it home on the sport rather than having to order it or drive all over town to find it buying the Check Point from the kid's work was a good deal.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

Quote Originally Posted by Dadx2mj View Post
    Yeah we knew it was a re badged Hakko but when you get the employee discount and the availability of bringing it home on the sport rather than having to order it or drive all over town to find it buying the Check Point from the kid's work was a good deal.

Oh, nothing wrong with the re-branded Hakko stations. Just putting it out there that they're all manufactured by the same company. It's those cheapo knock-offs that look like the Hakko, Checkpoint, and Trak Power that you have to be concerned with. I've read-up on many of the clones and the guys who seem to know what they're talking about think they're fine, but many have reported cold and/or weak internal solder joints. That's all good and well unless the only soldering iron you have is the one you just purchased, that happens to need soldering work.

As for the Checkpoint and Trak Power units, I think $70 is more than fair for a Hakko station with a cool vinyl wrap.

well, I guess I just have to get used to the toy-ish looks and grab one lol. $93 with free shipping I guess I can steal $13 and some change from my wife's wallet lol.

Quote Originally Posted by harry697 View Post
    As for the Checkpoint and Trak Power units, I think $70 is more than fair for a Hakko station with a cool vinyl wrap.
    link please?

Click on Jimmy Neutron's link above.

RC Champion
    I've been using a really old Weller soldering station that my friend gave me. He used it in the Air Force back in the 80's.
    it's got to be almost 30 years old.
    ERBE, ERBE, Summit, Slash 4X4, Bandit,

Quote Originally Posted by Zepher View Post
    I've been using a really old Weller soldering station that my friend gave me. He used it in the Air Force back in the 80's.
    it's got to be almost 30 years old.
    wow, glad to hear its still serving you well.

RC Champion
    Ya, I was using a low wattage pencil type and it was cutting it so one of my friends said he had an old Weller from back in the day I could have and brought it over.

It was good enough to solder Traxxas ends on an 8 gauge battery wire,
    ERBE, ERBE, Summit, Slash 4X4, Bandit,

looks like i'm gonna have to wait in a little while to get this one, I just bought a castle 2200kv green can for my REVO-E.
    thanks for all your help everyone, I sure will get one for sure though, even though my LHS do it for me for free, I just don't wanna depend on them lol.

RC poster
    Hakkos are very nice, and I would recommend the Hakko FX-888D too. It's the digital replacement for the analog FX-888. I know people who have used their FX-888 for years, so the 888D has the same longevity and durability. It also has quick heat up time and preset setting in case you do a lot of similar projects. Replacement tips are also very easy to come by, which is nice.

I tried to find where I got mine but stumbled upon this one:
    http://www.gotopac.com/Hakko_FX888D_...d-23by-hak.htm
    It appears to be on sale and free shipping to the US if that is where you are located. Good luck! Hope that was helpful!

Texas, Chemical Plant along the Gulf Coast
    I've been using the TK-950 for a couple years now and have been very satisfied with it. I'm like most anyone else in the Hobby, you pay someone to do the soldering for you and then you see the value of learning yourself. I'm probably not the best but so far everything has held and looks decent. LOL

I've used pencil ones in the past, but this is by far a good station to start and keep using in the future. I also picked up the Hakko 599B-02 Tip Cleaner. You don't have to use water to keep your tip clean. Very useful. IMO.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Champion
    trak power soldering station is awesome. i also recommend the jig is up!! made by maxx amps nice little sodlering block to connectors and more when soldering.
    Take Responsibility do not text and drive.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    I just looked it up; typical MaxAmps... extremely expensive.

Here is what I use to accomplish the same help:
    http://www.harborfreight.com/helping-hands-319.html

$3 is a whole lot cheaper than the $30 MaxPrice... er Amps is asking for theirs.
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Champion
    i paid 20$ for it and 4$ for shipping this was last year.
    Take Responsibility do not text and drive.

RC Champion
    For only $80 you can get a digital rework station with temperature controlled soldering iron and hot air for desoldering or tire removal...

http://bit.ly/Ps3W3A

I bought this one. I'm ashamed to say I haven't used it yet. ;( but it seems like it will work well.
    What broke, uh, needs upgrading now?

My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

Quote Originally Posted by OlorinTharkun View Post
    For only $80 you can get a digital rework station with temperature controlled soldering iron and hot air for desoldering or tire removal...

http://bit.ly/Ps3W3A

I bought this one. I'm ashamed to say I haven't used it yet. ;( but it seems like it will work well.
    The issues I have with something like that is it has no name brand (that I can see), availability of tips and parts is therefore in question, and it seems to have no track record. Now I could be wrong about any of that, but I KNOW where I can get Weller or Hakko tips. With that rework station, what tips do I ask for when I need replacements? Are there cross-references to a make I'd know?
    Alt-248 on the number pad = į

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post
    The issues I have with something like that is it has no name brand (that I can see), availability of tips and parts is therefore in question, and it seems to have no track record. Now I could be wrong about any of that, but I KNOW where I can get Weller or Hakko tips. With that rework station, what tips do I ask for when I need replacements? Are there cross-references to a make I'd know?
    Those are good points and I prob should know better. I've been bitten in the rear, as everyone prob has at one point by buying cheap and not ponying up the extra $ for reliable name brand. I learned my lesson on my charger, after buying a "fast charger" that only did NiMh first. Here's hoping I don't end up with the same lesson on this!
    What broke, uh, needs upgrading now?

RC poster
    @ humayrayakongkinaon, When buying a soldering station, what’s important is not the size or the input power and the temperatures, it’s a matter of experience, some soldering stations are better even with bigger sizes than normal, they don’t spread your solder or short tracks because they provide very balanced power to the tip. It’s actually a matter of experience so you might have to try a few before finalizing the best one for you. Since it’s something that we use regularly, I’d suggesting overlooking the cost.

Quote Originally Posted by sevgi View Post
    @ humayrayakongkinaon, When buying a soldering station, whatís important is not the size or the input power and the temperatures, itís a matter of experience, some soldering stations are better even with bigger sizes than normal, they donít spread your solder or short tracks because they provide very balanced power to the tip. Itís actually a matter of experience so you might have to try a few before finalizing the best one for you. Since itís something that we use regularly, Iíd suggesting overlooking the cost.
    To be honest, I have not pull the trigger buying one but, instead I have a cheap harbor freight brand and so far it gets the job done lol.

RC Champion
    I have the trakpower 950 and I don't have the slightest regret. I have soldered circuit boards and 8ga wires without any problems. I highly recommend it.
    1:16 Slash VXL
    Stampede 4x4 3800kv
    Rustler VXL