Thread: Dye the Chassis

RC Competitor

Dye the Chassis

Does anyone want to give me some tips on dying the chassis or recommendations.

Thank you

RC Qualifier
    A long time ago in a galaxy far far away...
    Use rit dye. Boil water and put in the dye, then the chassis. Make sure its clean
    Drive. Crash. Fix. Repeat.

RC Competitor
    I am wondering if anybody has tried to dye the RPM arms and is it worth dying from green to black or should I just buy some
    black ones. thanks

RC Qualifier
    I've dyed things a few times. My procedure usually goes as follows:
    -Get a pot, pan, tub, bin, or anything else big enough to hold all of the parts you plan on dying.
    -Boil enough water to cover all the parts in the pan or whatever you're using.
    -Mix in some Rit dye. I go about 1 package to every 6-8 cups of water. You can't have too much dye and it's cheap.
    -Stir it up and turn off the heat
    -Dump your colored water into the container with the parts in it. DON'T SPLASH on anything important! It doesn't come off!
    -Let it sit for about 15 minutes, then flip all the parts over to make sure there are no air bubbles trapped on any parts.
    -Let everything sit for a few hours. The longer, the darker the color will be. With black, things will look purple if you dont leave it in long enough.

I've dyed the Ken Block green parts to black and it looks great. No signs of the parts ever being green.

RC Competitor
    I dyed a chassis with Scarlett not to long ago. Looks good with black

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

rpm stuff will accept the dye as long as you are going with a color darker than what it is..... the green arms will turn black with black dye...... black arms, wont turn green with green dye

RC Competitor
    Thanks guys. If I add the dye to the boiled water in the pot will it mess up the pot.

RC Racer
    Dont use any cooking pots, the mrs wont forgive you

if you dont have any old unusable pots, get those aluminium baking trays from the discount store. Ive used those trays 4 times so far, i just leave 'em over night.

RC Enthusiast
    Go get a big cooking pot from the tip shop, if your tip/dump has one.

RC Enthusiast
    I'm wondering if anyone has done/seen a chassis in any colours other than black or red (scarlet/maroon).

RC Competitor
    A buddy didi a light blue and I've seen a pink one on the bay not to long ago

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

RC Racer
    the Rit site mentions adding some salt and white vinegar to the dye+water too for some reason? Not sure why, to help the dying process in some way... I've done this each time with great results. I've kept the parts on the heat while dying - just under boiling point, for as long as possible (at least an hour) I've only done black.
    1/16 EREVO, 1/10 SUMMIT

RC Qualifier
    Thanks for all the info guys thought i would post my experience dying my P4DE chassis.. I decided on black. I have to say that it looks deadly, and it was super easy. I found that you don't have to leave it over night to achieve great results.. It took me about 2 hours, here's how i did it.

Go to your local art supply store wherever you can purchase Rit dye. It comes in many colors..
    Go to your local dollar store and purchase two foil oven roasting trays. I bought two of them @ a dollar each.

DO NOT PUT DYE INTO ANYTHING YOU INTEND ON KEEPING... as they said above the Mrs. wont forgive you if you ruin her good pot.

I will post pictures below exactly how I did it but I found the trick was to keep it hot for a good hour or two. The directions state to bring the water to a boil, remove from heat mix in the dye add the parts let sit for a while, flip the parts a few times and let it sit over night.

I Used a baking tray mine happens to be a pizza pan but any metal baking tray will work.. use and old one... I put one of the foil roasting pans on the baking sheet filled about half way with the hottest water i could get out of the tap.turn the stove to a medium setting (7-8) and set it on the heat. The water should be steaming hot but not boiling...

Take the other foil roasting pan and put the parts you want to dye into it.. this way you can shorten it up and bend the foil to fit around the parts and you are able to use less water this way and concentrate the dye the pictures will explain it better..anyway.. I put all the parts I wanted to dye into the second foil roasting pan that i had shaped to fit my parts.. Filled it with water so that everything is well covered, then transfered this water to a pot add a tsp of salt and boil it. ( add a little extra for evaporation) the less water the more concentrated the dye will be so only add as much as you need. I dyed mine with only a single pack of dye ($3) Empty all your parts out of the second foil pan.. Once the water comes to a rolling boil transfer it into this foil pan add your dye and stir it it well being careful not so splash it on anything as it will stain it!!. Now you just pick it up and set it into the other foil roaster that is on the heat on the baking sheet on the stove.. the water should be steaming hot.. Now just add your parts and that's it.. flip the parts over every so often.. I kept the heat on and the water hot but NOT BOILING... I let mine soak for a good hour and half... maybe two hours.. and it turned out awesome.. Hope this helps someone out there.. Honestly it is soooo easy to do, don't even hesitate..