RC Enthusiast

steel main diff bevel gear set VXS9282

Still learning. braking a lot of stuff are these any good or stay with with stock. Hot Racing Traxxas 1/16 E Revo Summit steel main diff bevel gear set VXS9282. Also stock cases or alum. ones. Wife gave up on me
    Spending $$$
    Last edited by Dadx2mj; 07-25-2013 at 08:51 PM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    The jury is still out on the HR diffs. Too new to tell.

A proven but not perfect solution is aluminum bulks, shims, and new diff parts.
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Enthusiast
    ?? Aluminum bulks with stock parts or ? Can you give me some brands Thanks for any help

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    Yes, new stock parts with any aluminum bulk. They all seem to function about the same... no complaints from any user on any brand.
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Competitor
    i have them and im still testing trying to get the mesh right cuz it sounds horrible at the moment

RC Qualifier
    I just got one of the HR diffs off ebay cheap. Can I run it in the rear with the stock diff in the front? I'm assuming the ratio is the same but wanted to make sure.

yes it is fine to run it like that......

actually the way i am setting mine up right now.....

as for sounding like noise, the new hr diff is going to be crazy loud, and not sound like stock due to the contact patch the new gears have

i have already setup my new rear diff, and i have 6 shimes in there, i am also running an hr bulkhead as well -- i am also running racer's edge diff lock putty

RC Qualifier
    Hi, how do you shim this, is it just the ring gear or do you shim the pinion too?

Quote Originally Posted by robl45 View Post
    Hi, how do you shim this, is it just the ring gear or do you shim the pinion too?

I just did the ring gear on the ring side..... some people also do the pinion gear

I found that on mine, there was no play in the pinion, and my 6 shims eliminated all the side to side play on my ring

RC Qualifier
    okay thanks, it comes with no instructions and I wasn't sure if this one was different because of the bevel. I'll fit it together and see what it looks like and figure out how to shim it.

sure wish they offered the ring and pinion separate on this.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo74 View Post
    I just did the ring gear on the ring side..... some people also do the pinion gear

I found that on mine, there was no play in the pinion, and my 6 shims eliminated all the side to side play on my ring

RC Champion
    sure wish they offered the ring and pinion separate on this.
    Hopefully they wont be needed! Looking forward to hearing how they work out for you.
    My tranny case is stock :D

the gears are a set, you can't use the pinion from a stock set with the gear from the bevel gear set

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo74 View Post
    the gears are a set, you can't use the pinion from a stock set with the gear from the bevel gear set
    Of course not, but the way the hr is setup, they could still pinion and ring gear separate from the housing so you don't have to replace the whole thing.

RC Qualifier
    Well it's in, I used 6 Shims, 5 probably would be okay, but it spins nicely with 6. Anyway, the diff isn't working well, one tire I can spin back and forth,and other tire goes opposite direction Like normal, but other side, I can turn wheel one way, but it's solid when trying to turn other way. I don't think I tightened the diff too much as I assume you crank it down as there are no seals to keep the oil in.

6 shims?!?!?!? Sorry just no way I can buy that is right IMO 3 shims is a lot 6 shims makes me think something is drastically wrong.

No seals? That definitely is not right for a diff that uses diff fluid. Only diffs with no seals are diffs like in the 2wd Traxxas vehicles that are meant to use grease not diff fluid like the 1/16th scale vehicles do
    Last edited by Dadx2mj; 07-27-2013 at 04:22 PM.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Dadx2mj View Post
    6 shims?!?!?!? Sorry just no way I can buy that is right IMO 3 shims is a lot 6 shims makes me think something is drastically wrong.

No seals? That definitely is not right for a diff that uses diff fluid. Only diffs with no seals are diffs like in the 2wd Traxxas vehicles that are meant to use grease not diff fluid like the 1/16th scale vehicles do
    The hr diff has more play, needs more shims. It uses the little seals where the outdrives go, nothing else.

RC Qualifier
    Yeah there are guys running 6-8 shims over on URC.

I agree with Dad, thats not "shimming" anymore, and if it needs that many, the product is defective and I will not be using it.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by igglesfan View Post
    Yeah there are guys running 6-8 shims over on URC.

I agree with Dad, thats not "shimming" anymore, and if it needs that many, the product is defective and I will not be using it.
    To each their own, but this diff is solid. It's super smooth, no worries about making sure things are straight when putting it together and it sounds cool when it does it's whirring from the bevels.

To each their own, but this diff is solid. It's super smooth, no worries about making sure things are straight when putting it together and it sounds cool when it does it's whirring from the bevels.
    Yet you are still posting that you have the clicking noise and say the diff is not working right?
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Dadx2mj View Post
    Yet you are still posting that you have the clicking noise and say the diff is not working right?
    I do have a clicking but I think I got it now, I changed the internal gears and I think that should do it. Either way it wasn't the ring and pinion.

But regardless, this diff spins way smoother than the stock one ever did.

RC Qualifier
    I do have a clicking but I think I got it now, I changed the internal gears and I think that should do it. Either way it wasn't the ring and pinion.

But regardless, this diff spins way smoother than the stock one ever did.
    Well the noise is finally gone, internal gears were bad, and this diff is still awesome. I don't know that its 33 dollars awesome which seems to be the going price, but I paid just under 23 bucks and for that price, Its great.

RC Champion
    Glad you got it sorted out! Hope it lasts, if it does it will very much be worth the 33 dollars.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by buzzsaw 46 View Post
    Glad you got it sorted out! Hope it lasts, if it does it will very much be worth the 33 dollars.
    Yes, I suppose it would be worth the money as they are nicely crafted pieces for someone that knows how to drive correctly. My son will probably trash it within a month or so but its definately a nice piece. I've dealt with many aftermarket products in 25+ years and most end up being a bit of a hassle, but this drops right in, fit is great, solid piece of engineering, no guessing if the ends are straight or anything.

RC Champion
    I have bought many after market "upgrades" that didn't live up to the manufacturers performance claims also. I'm very much looking forward to your feedback on this diff set. I know you had a lot of problems with the stock diff so if this one holds up to your Sons heavy trigger finger it should be bomb proof for most of us.

RC Qualifier
    Also just so you all know running a hr and a stock diff together is stressing your driveline. The ratios are slightly different as the HR diffs have less teeth (so they could beef up the existing teeth) on the ring and pinion. The ratio is close but not exact.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
    Dye-no-mite Pow-er Go Fast, Wirrrrr Screeeech BOOM