RC Champion

Ceramic bearing kit?

Is this a worthwhile investment over standard bearings for someone who isn't a competitive racer?

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXYVF0

I know the Boca kits are even more expensive than this.

If it's not worth it...I may just replace all of the plastic bushings in my Merv and KB Fiesta with bearings and be happy with that.
    --
    "Dude,I almost had you"
    R.I.P Paul Walker

they are a good upgrade, but you aren't going to notice a dramatic difference over stock

just replace the rocker bushings and steering post bushings with bearings.... the traxxas bearings are jsut fine --- you can do the rockers and steering post for under $15

RC Racer

Thumbs up

I agree with the above post. I put some boca green seals all around, and didnt notice a real difference. didnt take too long to trash a couple bearings on the street with a 3 cell ... 2 tires came partially unglued on the right side, and didnt realize I was doing so much damage until I shredded them. what a sad sight.

imo, for what most of us do with these trucks, just stick to factory bearings all around, and do the recommended rocker and steering post bearing upgrades.
    MERV - 3S 23/50

RC Racer
    I agree - rocker and steering post bearings make a big difference. Suspension movement and turning is smooth without any staggering. My bearings are in quite good shape, but if anyone fails, I would pick up stockers, or even look for cheaper option with anything in the same size with rubber seal.

RC Qualifier
    ERrrrrr, green seals from boca? Has i know boca the ceramic versions are steel color and Yellow seal and orange seals... green is just normal bearings...
    YOU tryied an normal bearing, not ceramic bearings!

http://www.bocabearings.com/search.a...0SCALEELECTRIC

There is a diference and is noticable! I have ceramic bearing from boca, the yello ones on an RC , not traxxas and i noticed diference, not night and day, but a big diference!

And even extreme good quality bearings made of STEEL still make a diference(not like ceramic) for ex:The real bearings from Kyosho!

I am telling this because i got them and know what i talking about this ones i talk! (Boca yellow ceramic, and Real Kyosho brand bearings (not ceramic)only!
    My opinion! (everything on the drivetrain is super smooth, so sweet and motor and ESC thanks)
    Quote Originally Posted by iDrive View Post
    I agree with the above post. I put some boca green seals all around, and didnt notice a real difference. didnt take too long to trash a couple bearings on the street with a 3 cell ... 2 tires came partially unglued on the right side, and didnt realize I was doing so much damage until I shredded them. what a sad sight.

imo, for what most of us do with these trucks, just stick to factory bearings all around, and do the recommended rocker and steering post bearing upgrades.
    Last edited by targetingxmod; 07-22-2013 at 08:56 AM.

RC Racer

Thumbs up

You're right, how silly of me. Instead of shredding a 65 dollar set of bearings, I should have destroyed a 165 dollar set. Makes perfect sense, thank you.

...right. just stick to factory bearings.
    MERV - 3S 23/50

RC Qualifier
    Peace bro! RC is an hobby, happy time, remember?

Ceramic cost a little more money! But so far you missed the point... you talked about BOCA, ok... they have normal bearings and ceramic bearings. You tried NORMAL bearings by Boca. (even in normal or ceramic there are 2 or more options money wise).

So for WHAT you tell you can't say you tried ceramic bearings.
    IMHO i have and i liked! Because? Well despite whining about the price they cost they do their job, and yes there is a diference. Not night and day, but noticable!

A GOOD EXAMPLE.
    -Push by hand 2 equals rc's one with ceramic's and the other with normal bearings. (i have done that, so i talk from experience) And the one with ceramic will go much forward

Drivetrain and electronics will thank.
    But:
    As so, in the electronics departmant an overkill array of "capacitors" will help big time....

So imagine you are going to race, doing speed runs or street racing with 2 equal cars (both chassis & both electrics EQUAL).
    But one with ceramic bearings and an overkill array of capacitor's on the electrics and the other with normal bearings and no extra capacitors! (On offroad,bash spots ceramic bearings could be irrelevant... but as soon you get out of dirt .. oh yahhh)

You will only see the rear of the "modded" one. And at the end of the race,speed runs,street racing (whatever) Ceramic one is cool and the other maybe in thermal shutdown.

And you can go up 1 tooth or 2 on the pinion and 1 or 1 down the spur to, because of the reduce heat on electrics....

That's life...she cost's money you know?
    And i was scepticall to... when did not tried ceramic's... as for capacitors i already know it because i came from the hardcore nuts world of car-audio almost 20years ago... (now life does not permit that ****, so the RC hobby world come in...)

I will post some pic's of mine

-With the extra cap's on these i emidiatly noticed an increment of extra power by throotle on demand and cooler electric's!

This is just my opinions and my experience... but extra caps or overkill extra caps and Ceramic's are a proven "thing" all over the world! That's not just me saying!

Peace!

Quote Originally Posted by iDrive View Post
    You're right, how silly of me. Instead of shredding a 65 dollar set of bearings, I should have destroyed a 165 dollar set. Makes perfect sense, thank you.

...right. just stick to factory bearings.
    Last edited by targetingxmod; 07-23-2013 at 11:39 AM.