Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Dadx2mj View Post
    Your assumption is wrong, when they did this the tech support guy who sent me the parts had no clue who I was on the forum or was even a member. This was well before I was made a moderator

Don't your own words pretty much point out the issue here? One of the 2wd Monster Jam trucks may be a much better suited truck for your son.
    No, it wouldn't do backflips with 2wd and they are slow anyway. My 4yo drives the brushless summit better than many adults, but thats not the point here, they should be more durable. I'm going to figure out a way to keep fixing it so my son can have fun, but that doesn't mean its right.

Quote Originally Posted by robl45 View Post
    No, it wouldn't do backflips with 2wd and they are slow anyway. My 4yo drives the brushless summit better than many adults, but thats not the point here, they should be more durable. I'm going to figure out a way to keep fixing it so my son can have fun, but that doesn't mean its right.
    We can go around in circles on this one. I just dont agree with you that the (in my case ) MERV or Summit is not durable . I think they are very durable and mine has probably required fewer repairs than any RC I have owned.

Still think the 2wd Monster Jam trucks with a mild brushless system in it would be a much better fit for your son. It would be plenty fast enough and they are more durable
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Qualifier
    We can go around in circles on this one. I just dont agree with you that the (in my case ) MERV or Summit is not durable . I think they are very durable and mine has probably required fewer repairs than any RC I have owned.

Still think the 2wd Monster Jam trucks with a mild brushless system in it would be a much better fit for your son. It would be plenty fast enough and they are more durable
    We can agree to disagree on this, it's not my intention to fight with anyone.

RC Qualifier
    I'm sorry I find that very hard to believe, there has to be more to that story. Traxxas stands behind their products and are well known for it. They have sent me drive train parts free of charge when the vehicle was way out of warranty just because I could not find them in stock locally.
    There is not more to the story. My 2 grandsons saved for 6 weeks to get the vehicles, we took them out of the box and ran them around my front yard and street. After a few runs the yellow one developed a clicking noise. We were not doing flips or anything else crazy. We did notice that with full throttle the car would wheelie a little bit in the grass. These 2 have been running my full size Summits for months and know not to abuse the cars. When I called Traxxas support, like I said earlier they told me the drive train is not warranted and offered to send me the ring gear and pinion. I told them I was pretty good with the cars but I wasn't going to tear the diff gear apart and that for $14 Dollar Hobbies had the assembled diff gears and bulkhead. I would have thought Traxxas would have sent at least the diff gear assembled. It was not unexpected on my part in that I had posted about buying these cars and everyone said replace the drive shafts and look forward to shimming and or replacing the diffs. You might be right about a bigger truck but other than the drive shafts and diff these are really great vehicles. The size is just right for them.
    "Better Old and Devious than Young and Exuberant"

RC Qualifier
    Once you switch to merv shafts, they should last. Bigger is always better for the most part, bigger more durable parts. Same thing with helicopters, small ones you can fly anywhere but the bigger ones have much better quality.

For the price of the full rear end, I'll probably buy that from now on. 6 bucks more than the ring and pinion and you get the internal gears, the side plates as well as new bearings.

BRICK57 am I reading that right,,,they offered you a replacement ring and pinion but you declined because you wanted a complete diff assembly instead? If that is the case sounds to me like they did offer to cover your drive line parts that failed and you declined.
    BlindMan Racing
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Qualifier
    BRICK57 am I reading that right,,,they offered you a replacement ring and pinion but you declined because you wanted a complete diff assembly instead? If that is the case sounds to me like they did offer to cover your drive line parts that failed and you declined.
    If you read my other threads and post on this thread I am not and have not implied that Traxxas did not attempt to take care of the problem. The diff gear can be bought with the spider gears and grease already complete. I was attempting to get the fully assembled diff gear instead of only the diff ring gear. The difference in cost on the open market is a couple bucks. I told the service person to go ahead and send the pinion and ring gear but that I was going to order the complete diff and bulkhead from Dollar hobbies for $14.00 !!!!! I did not feel my skills were good enough to put the diff and spider gears together.

In my previous post on this thread I was responding to has anyone complained to Traxxas about the clicking diff problem they have with this car. My response in that post was I had complained about the problem and the truth is that Traxxas is not addressing the real problem. Yes they did offer to send my $5 in parts and have me spend 3 hours repairing the car. With other issues that they warrant you can send the part and or car back and they will fix it. Not the case with the drive train. I should also mention when I had Traxxas on the phone I inquired about my old Emaxx 5603 and what electronics were needed to up grade it and they informed me about the power up program. I bought the entire electronics, servos and etc for $160.00 saving me probably $50 or so and the hassle of trying to find the stuff and buying it. What a great program.

I find Traxxas and their vehicles to be the best in the market. I own 10 of them with 2 LaTrax on order. I think they are a great company and their reputation on the forums is great. All that being said I believe they have a problem with these summit diffs and hopefully they are looking into creating a better setup. Like I said earlier "It was not unexpected on my part in that I had posted about buying these cars and everyone said replace the drive shafts and look forward to shimming and or replacing the diffs." My hope is that Traxxas will improve this. If not I now know how to replace the diffs and bulkheads.

BRICK57 I went back and re read your posts adn see where I did miss some of your comments or they just did not sink in,,,my bad.

One thing I would like to say though,,,Traxxas did address the issues with the diff clicking, probalby long before you got your mini Summits. The original bulkheads for the platform had no cross screw so the two halves were only held together by the screws coming down from the chassis and up from the skid plates. The newer version has a screw going thru the bulkhead horizontally which helped the situation has long as you do not over tighten it, if you do over tighten the screw it separates the bulkhead at the bottom.
    BlindMan Racing
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Qualifier
    So you aren't supposed to torque the screw all the way down? I've been doing it Like that.

Quote Originally Posted by robl45 View Post
    So you aren't supposed to torque the screw all the way down? I've been doing it Like that.
    That could well be your problem I hold the two halves between my pointer finger and thumb toward the bottom of the bulkhead and then start tightening the horizontal screw. You will feel it get to a point where it starts to spread the bottom of the bulkhead halves. When I feel it start to spread the two halves I back it off just until the two parts come back together at the bottom.
    BlindMan Racing
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Qualifier
    BRICK57 I went back and re read your posts adn see where I did miss some of your comments or they just did not sink in,,,my bad.

One thing I would like to say though,,,Traxxas did address the issues with the diff clicking, probalby long before you got your mini Summits. The original bulkheads for the platform had no cross screw so the two halves were only held together by the screws coming down from the chassis and up from the skid plates. The newer version has a screw going thru the bulkhead horizontally which helped the situation has long as you do not over tighten it, if you do over tighten the screw it separates the bulkhead at the bottom.
    Do you know if there are any upgraded bulkheads, diff and pinion gears? Maybe out of aluminum or steel, with the gears hardened in some way? I know with the full size summits guys are using hardened gears with alum diff caps.

RC Qualifier
    That could well be your problem I hold the two halves between my pointer finger and thumb toward the bottom of the bulkhead and then start tightening the horizontal screw. You will feel it get to a point where it starts to spread the bottom of the bulkhead halves. When I feel it start to spread the two halves I back it off just until the two parts come back together at the bottom.
    I highly doubt its the problem, but its good to know how its supposed to go together for the next rebuild this weekend.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by BRICK57 View Post
    Do you know if there are any upgraded bulkheads, diff and pinion gears? Maybe out of aluminum or steel, with the gears hardened in some way? I know with the full size summits guys are using hardened gears with alum diff caps.
    Integy makes aluminum bulkheads, hot racing makes upgrading diffs. I'll be trying the diff hopefully this weekend.

From what I've heard if you get aluminum bulkheads, and shim the stock diff, most of the stripping issues go away.
    Sl2sh Slayer Summit Sl4sh Teton/Rally T-Maxx Pnde

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfslash16 View Post
    From what I've heard if you get aluminum bulkheads, and shim the stock diff, most of the stripping issues go away.
    I've heard the aluminum bulkheads can bend, not sure how true that is.

I've heard the aluminum bulkheads can bend, not sure how true that is.
    True, but IMO I'd rather risk bending them than blowing out diffs.
    Sl2sh Slayer Summit Sl4sh Teton/Rally T-Maxx Pnde