Thread: 4wd "drifting"

RC Qualifier

4wd "drifting"

Not talking about any brands, just a topic to discuss about since I've always wondered why since I joined the hobby. I don't own any drifters but will get one in the future and wondering why a majority of people have 4wd so called drifters, IMHO 4wd is not drifting, it is a different style of driving that resembles drifting but isn't truly drifting, I see some people (rarely) have 2wd drift rcs so can someone explain why?

RC Qualifier
    I don't have a drift car of my own, but I am pretty sure I know the reason why there are 2wd and 4wd drifter. With a 2wd, when you drift you can easily spin out and just do donuts. But with a 4wd, when you drift, the back end is sliding around, and you have the front wheels spinning so you can point the car where you want it to go, and have the extra upfront power to pull the car through the drift. Does that kind of make sense?
    Dirt Slingerz Racing
    Slash VXL - Summit

RC Qualifier
    I understand that and it makes perfect sense but I would think people that are into drifting would want to take the harder route and use a 2wd to be more realistic but I don't know much about the rc drifting scene so maybe I'm wrong and it maybe it takes a lot to get a 2wd to actually drift

RC Racer
    I can get my 2wd slash drifting so i can imagine a car would be easier... Agreed tho, id rather have a 2wd

RC Qualifier
    That's it. AFAIK AWD drifting in both real cars and r/c is just way easier.

RC Qualifier
    I don't know about rc cars but I'll tell you 4wd in 1/1scale is NOT drifting

RC Qualifier
    The Ken Block drifting videos are arguably some of the best, those cars are AWD:

If you don't consider that drifting...I dunno then.

RC Qualifier
    The definition of drifting: "Drifting is a driving technique where the driver intentionally or unintentionally oversteers, causing loss of traction in the rear wheels or all tires, while maintaining control from entry to exit of a corner." To me, drifting is letting the car slide sideways no matter if it is AWD or 2WD. AWD is easier to beginners probably, but it also helps not to slide off of the turn on gravel roads. It might be safer too I guess, but I think you can tell who wants more of a challenge, between who uses AWD and 2WD.

Ken Block though, he is doing a bunch of stunts and technically challenging drifts, so the AWD makes him the beast that he is.
    Last edited by Jacob Chandler; 07-20-2013 at 01:11 PM.
    Dirt Slingerz Racing
    Slash VXL - Summit

RC Qualifier
    2wd drifting, awd powersliding
    Anybody know a video of ken block drifting a 2wd cause I'd like to see it, nothing against what he can do with a awd cause his skills are insane

RC Qualifier
    Here's one

RC Qualifier
    Dude, I wish I could drive like that!! Hahaha
    Dirt Slingerz Racing
    Slash VXL - Summit

It's all about wheelbase. A 1/10 drift car has a much shorter wheel base than a 1/10 scale truck. Both being 2wd (for example) the larger wheelbase 2wd truck will be easier to control in a drift because it has a slower rotation rate of how the rear end will slide around. RC drifting for 2wd will be easier when you get into the larger scale like 1/8 1/7 and 1/5 scale because they have a large wheelbase. Same as in 1/1 scale. 4wd will allow the front wheels to spin and slow the rotation rate of the rear end and make it feel like a much larger 2wd vehicle.

I had a 4wd 1/10 drift car a while back. With the stock open diffs it would drift but not very well. It had a horrible push to it no matter the throttle input. I threw a one way diff in the front and a spool in the rear and it was a beast after that. The way it was setup the front wheels would free wheel (no pulling power) when on the brakes. You could tap the brakes and the rear would slide out, then nail the throttle to get those front wheels pulling to stabilize the drift.

RC Qualifier
    Check out this one of ken block and its 2wd!!!!

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OT8Eh7BBqOQ
    Last edited by johnzillia54; 07-21-2013 at 07:01 PM.

RC Champion
    I've seen some 2wd drift rc's. The thing they have in common is weights placed up front or the motor is mounted up front through an entire Fr-d conversion for some non traxxas brands. It still takes alot of tuning and even more practice but if you are looking for an authentic scale look and feel that would be the way to go.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by johnzillia54 View Post
    Check out this one of ken block and its 2wd!!!!

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OT8Eh7BBqOQ
    I forgot to tell you guys he's doin it with a semi lol!!