RC poster

newbie just boughten rally

so when i place the rally on the ground and push it it makes a wierd sound is this normal??? please help

RC Champion
    It will sound like it is clunking. This is normal due to the motor and the 4wd system. The center shaft is built in to slide for and aft to keep from binding and breaking. post a vid so we can be sure of the sound. Welcome to the forum and future addiction.
    *Proud Husband of United state's Air Force wife.*

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff fa fa View Post
    so when i place the rally on the ground and push it it makes a wierd sound is this normal??? please help
    "boughten"?

RC poster
    thanks i eat dirt i will post a video asap

im not very good at spelling things my question is why are you questioning my spelling when this is and rc car forum not an english class forum
    Last edited by Double G; 07-30-2013 at 06:54 PM. Reason: merge

RC Champion
    Now, now, lets all be nice!!! Welcome to our and now your world.....

For the most part just as I EAT DIRT mentioned, it is a character of the motor and 4wd system.

My Slash 4x4 does the same.
    "enjoy your ride"

Dennis

Welcome to the forum jeff. Why are you pushing your truck anyway? This sounds normal on 2wd and 4wd TRX vehicles.
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

Try this:

Move the motor away from the spur gear so they are no longer connected. Without the pinion / spur touching the truck should roll with a minimum of noise. You'll get some noise from the center driveshaft but it shouldn't be too much. Primary concern is if it rolls freely. If there is any binding you'll need to tear further into it to figure out why.

Once you verify there is little or no rolling resistance just reset your gear mesh so there is just a tad of backlash between the gears and you should be good to go. If it's making noise after that you could try a new pinion and spur gear, sometimes the teeth get worn and will make noise, but if the truck is new that shouldn't be a problem.

RC Qualifier
    Just a tip when meshing the gears back together I like to use a strip of paper and push them together tighten them down and rotate the spur till it spits the paper out should look like a crinkle cut french fry lol
    Let's Go Steelers!!!... KCCO

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    The drivetrain on these cars has alot of play... when you roll it the magnets in the motor create resistance and it ends up making a chattering sound. Its not a problem. Grinding sound, yes... chattering sound, no.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ