Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Project maxx

RC Champion

Project maxx

Here we go again. Im building another maxx. This one will be more along the lines of a supermaxx. I was going to call it project black and red since that's going to be the color scheme, but decided to just call it PROJECT MAXX.
    Heres a list of the parts Ive been collecting so far.

FLM 10900 chassis
    GA 7075 bulks
    GA 7075 rockhoundz bumpers
    UE 7075 ultralight diff cases
    UE knucklehead towers
    UE hard steel pillow balls
    UE supershocks
    UE monoblock ext. (not shore if I will use it on this one or not)
    UE widetrac 7075 pro suspension arms
    UE drivecups all of them
    UE titanium hindge pins or my own brand hardened tool steel pins.
    OFNA 8 spyder diffs (waiting to see about some different end caps for them)
    Strobe braces
    HCR titanium skids front rear and center
    losi xxl axles
    STRC alum. knuckles modified to fit the axles with 15x21mm inner and 8x16mm outer bearings
    ti22 titanium beadlock wheels with proline 3.2 mashers
    GH servo saver
    RD logics alum tranny case
    And a bunch of Tonys high grade 12.9 screws.

Heres a few pics of what I got done so far.

I started by building the tranny. I used a rd logics alum case and a supermaxx light weight idler gear along with the rest of the stock 3908 tranny parts.
    The tranny case had a nice finish and everything fit good. Just a couple shims to keep the shafts from sliding front to back so much. I also used a traxxas motor plate with the blue color removed and polished.

Next I fit the ga bulks, strobe braces and towers together with the ultralight cases. I had to elongate the upper holes in the strobe brace and drill the holes in the bulks just a tiny bit to get it all to fit together. These are sweet.

Did a little polishing on the bumpers and sides of the chassis and chassis braces.

Made some little steel rings to hold the rubber boots on the axles and got some traxxas steel pillow ball rings that fit right on the strc knuckles. Waiting to get the knuckles back from my machinist.

Heres the spyder diffs. Hoping to get some different end caps made to accept a 8mm bearing for them.

Heres the ti22 3.2 titanium beadlocks w/3.2 mashers. Not finished yet. I Just colored in the fake brake disk w/permanent marker to see what it would look like. Probably paint them red or black. going to have my machinist make me some 1/4" thick alum spacers with 5 holes to line up with the wheel and strengthen the rather narrow cast hub.

Well that's all for now. I don't get a lot of time to work on my toys so this ones going to take me a while.
    Still need a motor and esc and servo. Pretty much decided on the tekin gen 2 rx8 esc and still deciding on whitch tekin motor to go with it.

RC Qualifier
    Wow, that is very nice!

RC Champion
    After everybody went to bed last night there I was in my little walk in hobby closet. Mocking up parts and getting things to fit nice.
    All the upper arms fit perfect. The lower ones needed a little dremeling on the sides of the hindge pin area to get them to fit and move freely. Used a couple cross braces from rc4wd on the chassis rails.

Trying to keep it as light as possible. Heres a little weight info on these parts versus rpm and stock.
    RPM upper arm = 33.2 grams, UE widetrac upper arm = 39 grams
    RPM lower arm = 36.3 grams, UE ext lower arm = 47.1 grams
    So all the UE 7075 suspension arms only weigh approx. 2.4 oz more than the rpm arms.
    The rd logics tranny case = 3.9 oz, Stock tranny case = 1.67
    So the alum tranny case adds aprox. 2.2 oz
    ti22 titanium beadlock wheel w/hub and pro line 3.2 masher tire = 11.6 oz (1 oz lighter than stock revo wheel and tire w/plastic ring and no hub)
    So I guess so far the added weight of the tranny case and suspension arms I almost lost with the lighter wheels and tires.

RC Champion
    Looking sick my friend! I love the way the strobe braces look with the garc bulks, I just finished up polishing my front end, what a pain lol. Have you decided on your powerplant yet?

Pro-2 SCB 2xSuperMaxx Revo-E SCT410

RC Qualifier
    what are those bumper/ shock tower braces? I really need a set of those.

RC Champion
    SLW, No I still haven't decided on the motor yet. Been sitting here learning a lot about it though. Whats the best kv to work with 4s and 6s and then throw in the gearing and all gets a bit confusing. You pretty much have to figure out what voltage your going to run first and then choose the motor from there. 4s is lighter and plenty of power for bashing around so Im thinking of getting something better suited for that. But I don't know. Once you start reading articles about it and what others input says. It can be a tough decision. But I have plenty of time to decide.
    Wow you have been doing some serious polishing on those bulk set ups. If your ga bulks looked like mine when I got them. (pretty Rough finish) on the sides. You have been busy. Looks awesome mate! Nice job! Not shore but I think I seen my reflection on the side of that bulk. LOL I didn't do much to mine. they are so full of machining marks I figured I would be there forever trying to sand them out before I could even think of polishing them to look like that. My hats off to ya mate. Good to see they give you a bit of free time out there on the boat.
    maxx, The tower braces are called strobe braces. I don't think they make them anymore but you can find them on ebay from time to time. Got mine on there for 175.00
    Last edited by EMAXXBRUSHLESS; 07-20-2013 at 04:33 PM.

RC Champion
    I decided that I want to do 5s. 4s left me wanting a little more but 6s was too much. I'm waiting for hobbypartz to have more gens ace 40c 5000mah 2s batteries in stock to match the 3s(s) I already have. I haven't tried yet but I have a few sky lipo 4000mah 40c 5s batteries that I can try but I don't have a working emaxx atm.

Yeah I have spent alot of time on just that section so far and the garc bulks are really rough and tough to work on. I just started on one of the back ones today and was quickly reminded of that. I start with 1500 grit and work my way through 2000, 2500, 3000 and then 5000 wet sanding it and then several coats of Mother's mag and aluminum polish with the dremel felt tips. Its not very fun but it is rewarding as you know. I work 12 hours of the day and have the other 12 hours to myself so I'm getting an hour or two a day for polishing when I get off.

I paid 200 for my sweetstrobe braces I saw a thread where the maker was selling off the last of his new ones recently but they sold out quickly.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by SLW-SVT View Post
    I decided that I want to do 5s. 4s left me wanting a little more but 6s was too much. I'm waiting for hobbypartz to have more gens ace 40c 5000mah 2s batteries in stock to match the 3s(s) I already have. I haven't tried yet but I have a few sky lipo 4000mah 40c 5s batteries that I can try but I don't have a working emaxx atm.

Yeah I have spent alot of time on just that section so far and the garc bulks are really rough and tough to work on. I just started on one of the back ones today and was quickly reminded of that. I start with 1500 grit and work my way through 2000, 2500, 3000 and then 5000 wet sanding it and then several coats of Mother's mag and aluminum polish with the dremel felt tips. Its not very fun but it is rewarding as you know. I work 12 hours of the day and have the other 12 hours to myself so I'm getting an hour or two a day for polishing when I get off.

I paid 200 for my sweetstrobe braces I saw a thread where the maker was selling off the last of his new ones recently but they sold out quickly.
    If you choose to go the one battery route wouldnt it be a good idea to get the FLM motor mount so its thrown over to one of the sides and have the battery on the other?

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by leor View Post
    If you choose to go the one battery route wouldnt it be a good idea to get the FLM motor mount so its thrown over to one of the sides and have the battery on the other?
    that would be ideal for a single battery. I meant to say that I was going to run two paralleled.

RC Champion
    SLW, Im thinking 5s too. Seems like it would be just right. What motor are you thinking of or have for 5s?
    I got mine on ebay from bosoxo6 made an offer of 150.00 for the strobes and he came back with 175.00 so I took it.

RC Champion
    All I have is a few 2200 MM's. I don't plan on buying anything new anytime soon. I got mine from bosox too..I didn't make an offer.

did you get those wheels for $40 or so on ebay? if so, I thinking I was bidding on the same ones. I decided I didn't want to mess with them because of the way they mounted.

I like your socket screw washers. I placed a big order with . . . awhile back and my wife informed me they are waiting at the house. I think I ordered a hundred or so different colors and sizes. It's a really nice touch.

Are you going to be running 4 or 8 supershocks?
    Last edited by cooleocool; 08-10-2013 at 07:17 PM. Reason: language abuse

RC Champion
    Nothing wrong with the 2200,s Ive got two of them. Just figured I go with something different on this build. and the black and red tekin t8 will look sweet with my black and red color scheme.
    Yes, I got the wheels on ebay for 40.00. No bid, buy now. I like the wheel part and the 3.2 mashers seem to lock into them nice but the hubs could have been made better. Im having some spacers made to beef them up. Figured for 40.00 id give them a try. You can buy the hubs for 2.50 ea. I got a half dozen extras just in case.
    The colored cap head and countersunk alum washers add a nice bit of bling and look cool. I might have to get some more black and red ones before im done. lol Sounds like you got plenty of them. You can get 7075 colored alum lock nuts too. I got some from 4c hobby supply.
    I will be running 8 shocks. To me it just looks better and im not building a race truck. I stayed up till midnight last night building them. Probably go with some combo of black and red springs and 40w just to match the color scheme.

Hi dude I seen your other truck in RC car action and I think with all the attention to detail you did you should have won by miles but that's just me.I love all reading all of your builds and its very inspirational and keep up the awesome work man.....peace
    Famous last words...watch this!!!!

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by spenniepoos View Post
    Hi dude I seen your other truck in RC car action and I think with all the attention to detail you did you should have won by miles but that's just me.I love all reading all of your builds and its very inspirational and keep up the awesome work man.....peace
    Thanks man, I appreciate your comments. peace

Made some spacers to strengthen the cast hubs. Trying to decide what looks better for the fake brake disk. Red, black,or natural. The body is going to red and black. My son tells me the red one in the middle for shore. I like the looks of the red one too but Im not a big fan of painted parts on my rc trucks. It doesn't last long before it gets half sand blasted off and looks like crap. So im not shore but I think I might just polish them a bit and color in the little dots.

Last edited by cooleocool; 08-10-2013 at 07:17 PM. Reason: merge

Out of the three wheels the one on the right looks the best by miles and more realistic dude......peace

RC Champion
    That was my third choice. First choice would be to cut them right out of the hub but that would weaken them. If I paint them black the little holes wont stand out that looks cool imo. (there just colored over the surface with permanent marker) and I will have 140 little holes to scrape the paint out of to get the same look. lol I decided to just shine them up a bit and color in the holes black instead of red, for now anyway. Could paint them black and drill out all the little holes. lol

Also got the knuckles back from my machinist. Machined to fit 15x21x4mm inner and 8x16x5mm outer bearings. He did good the bearings fit sweet.

Last edited by EMAXXBRUSHLESS; 07-23-2013 at 02:27 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Hmm I kinda like the red do you have a body scheme yet? The black and the red are both cool
    You ain't bashin unless your crashin!!

RC Champion
    Thanks eschmitt, Always like to hear what others think. I have to agree the black and red behind the wheel looks cool. Heres the body im thinking of using.
    Last edited by EMAXXBRUSHLESS; 07-23-2013 at 02:42 PM.

RC Qualifier
    That's not an old stocker is it? Either way it looks sweet and it would look good with black or red I think!

RC Champion
    Yep, its an older shorter body. Just punch a couple more holes in the back. I like the look of the shorter bodys on these things and a little more room to keep the bumpers from crunching it up. My backyard basher build has one too.

RC Qualifier
    I also like the shorter body too and your road maxx is awesome

RC Champion
    I like the natural color the best. Maybe you can have them anodized red for your color scheme?
    Where did you pick up those skids? And how much?
    Last edited by SLW-SVT; 07-23-2013 at 03:58 PM.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by SLW-SVT View Post
    I like the natural color the best. Maybe you can have them anodized red for your color scheme?
    Where did you pick up those skids? And how much?
    Thanks mate, one vote for the alum. look. lol I thought about anodizing them but that only gets all sandblasted and worn off too and then looks like . . .. Although this one might sit on the shelf for a little while when I get it done just so I can admire it and show it off to my friends. Its destiny is to do battle with the turf. lol
    The skids are HCR titanium. There just about impossible to find as far as I can see. The rear one I found on e-bay (new) for 40.00. It was green so I sanded it off. The front one also on ebay. its (used) but still in great condition, a little sand paper hid most of the scratches and brought it back to life. I bid on it and got it for one dollar + 3.50 sh. I think I lucked out there finding the front one to match and so cheap. You can still get the 3mm rear ti skid from GA. But not the front. I have one but its really too thick and heavy and has little flex IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by eschmitt4 View Post
    I also like the shorter body too and your road maxx is awesome
    Thanks, That one has been a lot of fun.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 08-10-2013 at 07:16 PM. Reason: merge and language abuse

RC Champion
    wow that's a good deal! I found an hcr set for $90 on facebook, I guess I'll buy them.

RC Champion
    Facebook! I never thought of searching on there. I don't even know how to run it. I would snatch them up if I were you. There hard to find. especially if there new.
    Last edited by EMAXXBRUSHLESS; 07-23-2013 at 05:56 PM.

RC Champion
    I found on the emaxx group that a lot of the ue forum guys are on. He's selling a UE thunder chasis for $90 too! I'm going to get it for my "TMaxx brushless conversion" build. Also he two sets of those skids for sell

RC Champion
    That's awesome mate! I wouldn't mind picking up another set of those skids. I don't have a facebook acct. but my wife does.
    I might have to check it out.

RC Qualifier
    EMAXXBRUSHLESS it says your inbox is full. Here is about my Tires mounted on my Rims question:
    My proline tires are the 1177-00. I think I purchased the wrong size RPM Revolver wheels, and think that I cannot use RPM Revolver Wheels. The measurements of my RPM Revolver wheels are :
    roughly 3.4" in diameter and roughly 2.2" wide. I think they are too small, not wide enough. I'm just learning about bead style and rim size and once I learn I have it down. Can anybody explain what type of rims I need? Thanks

RC Champion
    The revolver wheels wont work with those tires. They are for the 3.2 tires. You need 3.8 wheels made for traxxas style bead to glue them on to.

RC Racer
    These were done a long time ago by DUH engineering

Looking good, I vote for the red on the brake disk!
    Look out for the tree/crunch!

LiPo? Naw NITRO!!

RC Champion
    [QUOTE=Blazerss1;5548610]These were done a long time ago by DUH engineering

Thanks for the info blazer.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildman4910 View Post
    Looking good, I vote for the red on the brake disk!
    The red was my first color choice too. Might just end up that way who knows. I kinda like them all. lol
    Last edited by cooleocool; 08-10-2013 at 07:15 PM. Reason: merge

The red is starting to grow on me dude so you have a tough choice man........peace

RC Champion
    I'm just going to leave this here
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/SuperMaxx-St...item2ec95d6d7b

RC Champion
    Thanks mate, Ill throw a bid at that. Would go nice with my gmaxx tranny case sitting on the shelf.

RC Racer
    I wonder who made that adjuster nut and sprong????

RC Qualifier
    Hey EMAXXBRUSHLESS I am going to be starting my build for my emaxx, I just have a few questions first I wanna build the ultimate basher like bullet proof. I am running the momba monster 2 with a 4 s system, So I'm thinking about getting the flm hybrid bulks, but I was wondering which shocks and shock towers to go with UE? or losi 8 shocks and flm shock towers? Also which gears are best to use for the diffs? Any other suggestions to make the strongest truck possible is appreciated, thanks.
    The smartest person, asks the most questions...

RC Champion
    What chassis are you going to use?? The ue towers and shocks are probably the best imo. I see a few using the hyper 7 diffs in the flm hybrid with good success. Running 4s they should hold up just fine. I guess some would say the ofna 8 spyder diffs are the best and strongest.
    Last edited by EMAXXBRUSHLESS; 07-29-2013 at 08:53 AM.

RC Qualifier
    Hey thanks for replying I don't mean to change up your thread or anything I was just curious, you seem to know a lot more. I'm just using the stock chassis for now and okay thanks is there any other place I can get UE parts I don't have a PayPal account. Are you using the eight spider diffs?
    The smartest person, asks the most questions...

RC Champion
    Im pretty shore the ue website accepts credit cards and money orders. I haven't used the spyder diffs yet. Going in this build.
    If your going to use the stock chassis for a basher I would recommend some alum. bulks, skids and chassis braces too. If you put alum towers on the plastic bulks you will most likely break the bulks quickly bashing. Check out my (project backyard basher build) Stock chassis surrounded by alum. and ti skids w/custom made shock tower braces. Ive beat the crap out of this thing and the chassis is still in one pc.

Got a little more work done. Shocks all assembled with 40 weight oil. I realize the combo of 1 red and 1 black spring is probably way too stiff in the real world. I just stuck the black springs on to go with color scheme . Maybe ill paint the white or blue springs black and use them with the red ones. I also removed the blue color from the spring adjuster collars. There will be no blue color on this build.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 08-10-2013 at 07:13 PM. Reason: merge