RC Enthusiast

External BEC question

I have an EMaxx with a tekin t8 motor and RX8, I accidentally hit a water puddle and fried the esc so sent it off for repairs got it back and it still had problems so had to send it off again.

Got the RX8 back from the second round of repair but while it was gone I put in a spare MM esc I had and upgraded my steering servo to a savox 1256 and added a castle external BEC, will I still need to use the BEC with the RX8?

Other than being a little loud i am real happy with the savox but it is not a direct fit, the holes are a little closer together on the savox than they are on the traxxas servos.

Quote Originally Posted by Country_boy View Post
    I have an EMaxx with a tekin t8 motor and RX8, I accidentally hit a water puddle and fried the esc so sent it off for repairs got it back and it still had problems so had to send it off again.

Got the RX8 back from the second round of repair but while it was gone I put in a spare MM esc I had and upgraded my steering servo to a savox 1256 and added a castle external BEC, will I still need to use the BEC with the RX8?

Other than being a little loud i am real happy with the savox but it is not a direct fit, the holes are a little closer together on the savox than they are on the traxxas servos.
    This is also true for Hitec, JR, Ace, etc. servos.

The BEC question is hard to answer without having your exact setup.
    Alt-241 on the number pad =

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post

The BEC question is hard to answer without having your exact setup.
    Tekin T8 2000kv and first generation RX8 esc, single savox 1256 servo up front, running 2S lipos.
    Talked to tekin and they couldn't say weather it would need a glitch buster or not.
    I already have the BEC but not a glitch buster and not sure what the difference in the two are?

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    BEC is a total separate power system for the servos, receiver, LED's, fans, ect.... what ever you plug into it.

Glitch buster is a capacitor that stores energy from your existing system and will do its best to keep voltage at the peak during high demand situations. Usually these situations only last for a few moments so all is needed is a buster.
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Enthusiast
    So would there be any need to run both a BEC and a glitch buster?

Not unless you buy a weak BEC.

RC Qualifier
    I thought Tekin had a 5amp BEC its better than the castle. I don't use savox servos and never will but I have 7 hitecs all on castle esc's and no issues at all even in water.

I'm thinking you will not need an external BEC, if you want to be sure just order a glitch buster for safety. only time you may draw a lot of power is if you have real big tires and steering while stopped or going slow.

Quote Originally Posted by Country_boy View Post
    Tekin T8 2000kv and first generation RX8 esc, single savox 1256 servo up front, running 2S lipos.
    Talked to tekin and they couldn't say weather it would need a glitch buster or not.
    I already have the BEC but not a glitch buster and not sure what the difference in the two are?
    I meant that unless someone is running the same setup as you, it is hard to answer whether the BEC would still be needed.
    Alt-241 on the number pad =

RC Qualifier
    What's a BEC?

BEC- Battery Eliminator Circuitry

RC Competitor
    With an MMM, I absolutely needed a BEC to run my Savox servo. Granted, I didn't try a glitch buster, but I was a little disappointed that the MMM didn't put out more juice.

Castle is not known to have strong BEC's in their ESC's.

RC Qualifier
    Thanks Neut, but now you guys really did it...what does MMM stand for?

Mamba Monster Max I believe... Castles 1/8th scale ESC.