RC Competitor

Getting the Velineon VXL-3m Brushless Power System

I got the 1/16 E-revo for xmas with the titan 12t 550 motor. Im going to be ordering the 3370 Velineon VXL-3m brushless power system tomorrow and I was wondering what spur and pinion should I get to get maximum speed out of this car and motor? I was looking at the 45 tooth spur and the pinion 31-t (48-pitch)? I have the batteries for it. I have 4 2925 batteries and 1 2820 LiPo and 1 2823 LiPo. Those are the part numbers. I also have the series and parallel connectors too. Just need the brushless power system and the pinion and spur gear. I dont wanna get any other parts beside Traxxas, as my mom got this for xmas for me, so it has value to it. If i bought it, i would deck it out. Thanks

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    I wouldn't get the 3M... the motor is great, but the ESC will overheat with pretty much anything above stock gearing (23/50). If you must get a Traxxas ESC, get the 3S. It will be a little difficult to mount, but it will not have the heat issues.
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Competitor
    Okay. But still didnt answer my question about which spur and pinion to get.

RC Champion
    The 31t pinion and 45t spur will get you the fastest speed...using 2 nimh batteries with a series connector.
    However...it will get VERY HOT... very fast...and don't expect the VXL-3m to last very long.

(that answer your question?lol)
    --
    "Dude,I almost had you"
    R.I.P Paul Walker

RC Competitor
    Yup lol. Im also thinking about getting the 55t spur, and the 23t, 25t, and 28t pinions. Just to have around and experiment with what i'll like and what not. Mine is 26t pinion/50t spur stock. So if I get this 3S instead of the 3M, will that Velineon 380 motor work fine with that 3S?

RC Champion
    Yes...but that esc is a power hog...
    To have any run time at all once you get bored with the speed thing(and trust me...you will)...
    You are going to need to run a pair of good 2s Lipo batteries in parallel.

be sure to invest in a temperature gun too...you're going to need it.
    --
    "Dude,I almost had you"
    R.I.P Paul Walker

RC Competitor
    So I should get another 2S 7.4V 2200mAh 25C then? As I already have one. Then I already have a temp gun also.

RC Champion
    Yes...if you are going to run batteries in parallel...or series for that matter...they need to be identical.
    --
    "Dude,I almost had you"
    R.I.P Paul Walker

RC Competitor
    Alright. I have both series and parallel connectors. Just need to get that second battery then. Sweet. Thanks for the help.

RC Champion
    No problem. Glad to help.
    --
    "Dude,I almost had you"
    R.I.P Paul Walker

RC Competitor
    Can you even run a series conn. with lipos ? I thought that might destroy them.

RC Champion
    You can run lipo in series if your ESC is up to the task. I have two helicopters that run 12s packs made up of 2 6s packs. On my MERV I run my 3s lipo in parallel, but charge them in series as a 6s pack.
    My tranny case is stock :D

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrxillen View Post
    Can you even run a series conn. with lipos ? I thought that might destroy them.
    Not with the 3M or the 3S... max cell count is 3.
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.