RC Competitor

Po' Mans Lowering

Well, I used the old zip tie method and it's actually not bad...for free you can't beat it....speeds seem increased and overall handling and performance have also improved... And it doesn't look low budget at all...to the untrained eye it looks professional enough...not bad for a quick 5 min free tweak
    _ _
    Law #29: Plan all the way to the end.

You can do the fuel tubing method for ~$5. IMO a much better solution to lowering any RC and there is no visible evidence of your handy work.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Dadx2mj View Post
    You can do the fuel tubing method for ~$5. IMO a much better solution to lowering any RC and there is no visible evidence of your handy work.
    That's how mine is done.

RC Competitor
    I was lookin at that method...might do it soon...that's kind of why I used the zip ties...I had them..I don't have the fuel tube at the moment...I just did it to see if I liked it and how it would perform...not a perm suspension job but a good quik fix..plus if I wanna run off road I can just snip em and I'm ridin high again
    _ _

RC Competitor

Zip tie method....
    _ _

RC Enthusiast
    post a photo of where the zip ties are at please, this i gotta see

RC Competitor
    lol...I will later
    _ _

RC Competitor
    They're basically looped through the A-arms and then around the top of the shock towers...it's not as clean as fuel tube but it also doesn't look completely jacked either....I'll show u later
    _ _

RC Competitor

Last edited by Real_Ghostly; 07-18-2013 at 03:36 PM.
    _ _

RC Competitor
    _ _

RC Competitor

Obviously I could clean it up a little better and snip some of the ends down but like I said I literally thought of doing it and did it in less than five mins and then took it out to run it...again not a perm fix...not as clean and professional looking as fuel tube...but not bad either...good enuff for me at the moment
    Last edited by Real_Ghostly; 07-18-2013 at 03:52 PM.
    _ _

RC Enthusiast
    it doesnt look that bad bro , awesome

RC Racer
    After seeing how you did the zip ties, I just may have to remove the fuel tubing and use zip ties instead. Far easier than changing shocks for different road conditions which is far easier than removing and replacing fuel tubes.

Great idea....should work plenty good enough.

RC Competitor
    Yeah that's a major positive to the method...It's pretty much an adjustable on-the-fly suspension system..I can go from slammed to the ground, to sitting tall for off-road, and back to lowered again, Just by snipping the zip ties and re-installing them when needed. And when you are putting them back on you can pretty much decide how low you want to sit..depending on your driving conditions...plus a few zip ties in your pocket really doesn't take up much space...it works perfectly for me
    _ _

RC Qualifier
    How do you do it with fuel tubing?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by rcguy1324 View Post
    How do you do it with fuel tubing?
    disassemble the shock, put fuel tubing on the shaft, put the shaft back in the body so the fuel tubing is now inside the shock body. It just limits how far the shaft can drop inside the body.

RC Qualifier
    Oh, thanks for the explanation.

RC Enthusiast
    How does that work with the mamba on the launch? Does the front end still lift?

Sent from my Droid DNA using tapatalk 2

RC Competitor
    It depends on what battery I use...on NiMH it doesn't really raise up too much but on 2s it will pop wheelies on command, even when I'm already at a pretty decent speed. (Note: The results I've experienced were geared at 29/76)...if you ease into the throttle its not so bad but when u punch it it gets a little wild...the top speeds are pretty fast...idk for sure as I haven't put a gps In it yet but its pretty sick....I will say tho that you need to be on a pretty flat surface....even a smooth looking street may have some type of divot in it and It will elevate the car of the ground andbecause the wheels are spinning so fast when they touch the ground again its not hard to lose control via fishtail....I do have my car basically slammed to the ground tho...perhaps a tad too low...strictly for smooth even street...even on sidewalks it scrapes a little...since I've put the castle setup in and geared it high, the tread on my tires has depleted at an alarming rate...(stock Alias)..I know that doesn't help traction at all so once I get new tires ill see how it acts....I love it tho...and. like I said if I want to adjust my ride height all I gotta do is snip the ties and I'm back to stock height...quik n easy

Last edited by Real_Ghostly; 07-20-2013 at 08:40 PM.
    _ _

That's a sweet mod. That ranks right up there with the 2-cent washer mod for the differential.
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...