Results 1 to 26 of 26

Thread: Motor problems

  1. #1
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    11

    Motor problems

    I have a stock 2wd slash and ive blown 4 motors in 3 days 2 12t titans 1 27t motor and another was a 20t whats wrong with my truck? Theres nothing wrong with the drivetrain and i use 8.4v 5100mah nimh batterys

  2. #2
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    SanDiego, CA
    Posts
    996
    What's your gearing and how long are you driving, that just sounds ridiculous

  3. #3
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    11
    Its 90/23 and it starts smoking after one pack so like 20 mins or so. I called traxxa and they told me i need a new esc and motor

  4. #4
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    SanDiego, CA
    Posts
    996
    that's weird have you checked your temps while running

  5. #5
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by XRated View Post
    that's weird have you checked your temps while running
    The speed contoller barely gets warm and the motor will burn your finger when you touch it. Im just mad cuz i took motors out of other trucks and now gotta buy 4 motors

  6. #6
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    SanDiego, CA
    Posts
    996
    Yea, well hopefully someone that has experience with brushed motors can help you some more, or google it, I kept my brushed system for 3days didn't break it but traded it in for brushless and never going back

  7. #7
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by XRated View Post
    Yea, well hopefully someone that has experience with brushed motors can help you some more, or google it, I kept my brushed system for 3days didn't break it but traded it in for brushless and never going back
    Im thinking about switching. Whats a good set up for a slash?

  8. #8
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. billy-bones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    4,815
    If your running stock tires with that gearing something is wrong.
    Did you buy the truck new?
    Are you running the titan in sand with paddles our something?
    My grandson races the titan class,and taken care off they can last quit a while,he uses 2s lipos.
    Something is binding or as traxxas said there is something wrong with the esc.
    However going brush less would replace both.
    The castle 3800 sidewinder is about the best top name bang for the buck($99).
    There are cheaper route's but imo it's a better way to go.http://www.rcsuperstore.com/Castle_C...owoAfw&click=2
    Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.

  9. #9
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by billy-bones View Post
    If your running stock tires with that gearing something is wrong.
    Did you buy the truck new?
    Are you running the titan in sand with paddles our something?
    My grandson races the titan class,and taken care off they can last quit a while,he uses 2s lipos.
    Something is binding or as traxxas said there is something wrong with the esc.
    However going brush less would replace both.
    The castle 3800 sidewinder is about the best top name bang for the buck($99).
    There are cheaper route's but imo it's a better way to go.http://www.rcsuperstore.com/Castle_C...owoAfw&click=2
    yep stock tires it just has metal bumpers which has no effect on that and just on street and thru my front yard and the occasional puddle. I thought it was the water so put a new motor in and it fried so i tried a slower motor and they both started smoking and just stopped working. And thanks ill look into that ive never ran brushless so i dont know much about it. But i also wanna keep the waterproof setup is the sidewinder water proof?

  10. #10
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    SanDiego, CA
    Posts
    996
    I've never ran castle systems so I don't know much about it but I don't hear bad about them, I believe they have a waterproof system either that or traxxas vxl3s/velineon combo is waterproof and is a pretty good combo, for the average basher with 2.2/3.0 tires, 2cell lipo, 23/86 gearing

  11. #11
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by XRated View Post
    I've never ran castle systems so I don't know much about it but I don't hear bad about them, I believe they have a waterproof system either that or traxxas vxl3s/velineon combo is waterproof and is a pretty good combo, for the average basher with 2.2/3.0 tires, 2cell lipo, 23/86 gearing
    Ive heard the castle setups are really good. Guess i gotta do some research on different setups

  12. #12
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    North Western Indiana
    Posts
    232
    I have 2 ideas.
    A. You are putting the gears WAY to tight
    B. Brushed motors are complete crap
    For the tightness of the gears when you put a motor in put a piece of copy paper between them. You should not be able to easily pull the paper out but you should ripe the paper getting it out. I should be a little hard to pull out. The paper should have lines from the gears on it.
    Take it all apart, where does this screw go again.

  13. #13
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by Jawehner1419 View Post
    I have 2 ideas.
    A. You are putting the gears WAY to tight
    B. Brushed motors are complete crap
    For the tightness of the gears when you put a motor in put a piece of copy paper between them. You should not be able to easily pull the paper out but you should ripe the paper getting it out. I should be a little hard to pull out. The paper should have lines from the gears on it.
    I do that all the time the gears werent tight at all and it rolls smoothly i just had it ripped apart the other day to clean it

  14. #14
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    SanDiego, CA
    Posts
    996
    Yea it could possibly be an esc problem, cause you only changed motors right? you never tried a new esc, I remember 1 time I went to the track and plugged in my battery, tried to hit the throttle and no throttle then I touched my esc by mistake and it burnt me haha it was at 180 after about 20secs and it didn't even leave the pits, thankfully it all still worked after being calibrated again, just an example of random defects that could happen with electronics

  15. #15
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by XRated View Post
    Yea it could possibly be an esc problem, cause you only changed motors right? you never tried a new esc, I remember 1 time I went to the track and plugged in my battery, tried to hit the throttle and no throttle then I touched my esc by mistake and it burnt me haha it was at 180 after about 20secs and it didn't even leave the pits, thankfully it all still worked after being calibrated again, just an example of random defects that could happen with electronics
    Yea i never tried a new esc but i dont wanna risk wrecking another one so idk what to do

  16. #16
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    SanDiego, CA
    Posts
    996
    Yea if your motors were working fine with your other trucks escs I bet it's a defective esc, honestly you can replace the esc or you can go brushless/lipo and you won't be disappointed

  17. #17
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by XRated View Post
    Yea if your motors were working fine with your other trucks escs I bet it's a defective esc, honestly you can replace the esc or you can go brushless/lipo and you won't be disappointed
    They work fine for about a pack then burn up in my slash
    so im prob just going brushless now

  18. #18
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    SanDiego, CA
    Posts
    996
    Definitely a good choice, manually you can waterproof any system but if you don't feel like doing that I'd go with the velineon system since it's originally waterproof and trust me I've had my slash with the velineon completely submerged in my pool a couple times with no problem

  19. #19
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by XRated View Post
    Definitely a good choice, manually you can waterproof any system but if you don't feel like doing that I'd go with the velineon system since it's originally waterproof and trust me I've had my slash with the velineon completely submerged in my pool a couple times with no problem
    Most likely just getting the velineon. Just incase idk if id trust doing it myself

  20. #20
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    11
    One thing to watch out for - I blew up a motor running too long. It was like 15-20 minutes. As long as I keep an eye on the time and the temperature, never had a problem since.

  21. #21
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by nm456x View Post
    One thing to watch out for - I blew up a motor running too long. It was like 15-20 minutes. As long as I keep an eye on the time and the temperature, never had a problem since.
    Ive driven 6-7 packs right after another thru the truck before and never had a problem. Out of no where it blows a motor everytime i drive it

  22. #22
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    South Jersey
    Posts
    696
    do the castle system they make a waterproof one also you will never go back

    http://www.ebay.com/itm/CASTLE-CREAT...item51af119d5d

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike_denicola View Post
    Ive driven 6-7 packs right after another thru the truck before and never had a problem. Out of no where it blows a motor everytime i drive it
    Anza Slash & a pile of Parts

  23. #23
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    Posts
    468
    The Titan motor is complete junk. I never burned one out but I have undone the positive and negitive wires from the motor. The solder that traxxas used is worthless. It also got very slow after two months. Oh yeah, velineon motor = awesome. Velineon speed control = junk.
    Last edited by Traxxasfreak61; 10-11-2013 at 09:31 AM.
    Go Traxxas, Team Associated, and Losi!

  24. #24
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. billy-bones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    4,815
    The Titan motor is complete junk
    Velineon speed control = junk.
    I cant agree with these opinions.
    I just watched my grandson run a hole season on a properly broken in and maintained titan.
    Then there is the fact I've never run into a vxl issue that wasn't self induced.
    Imo you cant look at a twenty dollar rc motor and expect it to last for ever, but people run them in water and other unfavorable conditions, take little care of them, then complain when they fail.
    Imo the vxl-3 is one of the better 2 pole sensored nonsensored esc's on the market, not to mention top end costumer service.
    Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.

  25. #25
    Marshal ksb51rl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Northern NJ
    Posts
    15,446
    Quote Originally Posted by Traxxasfreak61 View Post
    The Titan motor is complete junk. I never burned one out but I have undone the positive and negitive wires from the motor. The solder that traxxas used is worthless. It also got very slow after two months. Oh yeah, velineon motor = awesome. Velineon speed control = junk.
    Much like puffed LiPos, unless the wires unsoldered themselves during the first run as a result of a MASSIVE defect, the unsoldering is 100% the result of owner error, whether in setup or use.
    Lead-bearing solders that might be used on the motor have a melting point starting about 370F / 185C.
    Silver-bearing, lead-free solder that is more likely used on the motor have a melting point starting about 430F / 221C.

    It ain't the solder's fault.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

  26. #26
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    woodstock .on.canada
    Posts
    2,185
    in my history when the motor wires came of the titan .the wires had alot of play in them so each jump it would pull/flex the wire untill it came off

    now a question that i need to ask is how free is your drive train?
    if you spin the tires does it go for a couple seconeds? and when it stops is it a soft looking stop or does it sorta freeze?
    and accelaration an top speed how is that?

    i dont think it would be the esc since a brushed esc acts more like a bec. so the only thing it can effect is the voltage passing throught and since the motor can take the voltage i dont see a problem.and to since stated that the esc is cool or sinifigantly cooler then the motor .i dont see a problem with the esc starving the motor of amps
    so then there is the other thing.......how lucky are you? it could just be bad luck.but if your going for a brushless system then go for it

    now if you had a brushless esc this would mostlikly point twords the esc since the esc can control the degrees of timeing and phase switching of a brushless motor
    summit /mustang /stampede-2s spc lipo

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •