RC poster

Exclamation Problem with ESC low-voltage lipo cut-off

Hello everyone,

I bought recently a traxxas rustler vxl and i had no problem running it with the included 2s lipo 3.3mah (from traxxas). But i wanted more speed. I wanted to get the advertised 70mph with a 3s lipo. So, I went ahead and bought a ***** 3s 5500mah 30c from *********. As i said before, i had no problem with the low-voltage lipo cut-off with the 2s lipo included. But when i plug my fully charged 3s pack, i play with my rustler like 3 minutes or so, then the lipo cut-off cuts the power and i have to unplug-replug my battery for another 3 minutes :/. Is there a way i can fix this and play with my 3s pack like i normally play with my stock 2s pack?

I dont know if the fault is to the esc or if its the battery. I might not have posted this in the right place, if so please tell me, but there is my problem.

Thanks for your answers.

tinynja98
    Last edited by tinynja98; 07-17-2013 at 01:22 AM.

RC Qualifier
    My mates rustler has the exact same problem, fine on 2S, big problems on 3S. When he re calibrates the ESC at the start of a run it will work persistently for most of the pack but is still very touch and go, sometimes it will work others it wont. I hope you have better luck finding an answer than we did.. If you do find an answer to the problem could you send me a PM on how you solved it? It would be greatly appreciated.
    Slugs are just naturally aspirated snails

RC Champion
    Sure it's not going into thermal protection? It sounds like it is, if you can unplug the battery for a minute then plug it back in and go.

RC poster
    okay joel i'll do my best. But how do you recalibrate the lipo cut-off? Is it just deactivating it then reactivating it?

Jws1982: I dont know why exactly it would go into thermal protection... because i can only run the 3s about 3 minutes so... it shouldn't have much time to get even warm. But i'll try to unplug the battery for a minute like you said and not plugging it back again. thanks.

And one thing i forgot to say: sometimes, when i wait too much after the lipo cut-off, i cant shutdown the esc. The button would just not work. The led would keed flashing red (for lipo cut-off...i think?) and i'd have to completely unplug the battery. Is this normal? It didnt do this **** with my 2s lipo. Maybe its because it's because i took a lot less time to react with the 2s because i knew that i could hurt my battery pack.

Thanks for your answers!

tinynja98
    Last edited by tinynja98; 07-17-2013 at 11:52 AM.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by tinynja98 View Post
    okay joel i'll do my best. But how do you recalibrate the lipo cut-off? Is it just deactivating it then reactivating it?

Jws1982: I dont know why exactly it would go into thermal protection... because i can only run the 3s about 3 minutes so... it shouldn't have much time to get even warm. But i'll try to unplug the battery for a minute like you said and not plugging it back again. thanks.

And one thing i forgot to say: sometimes, when i wait too much after the lipo cut-off, i cant shutdown the esc. The button would just not work. The led would keed flashing red (for lipo cut-off...i think?) and i'd have to completely unplug the battery. Is this normal? It didnt do this **** with my 2s lipo. Maybe its because it's because i took a lot less time to react with the 2s because i knew that i could hurt my battery pack.

Thanks for your answers!

tinynja98
    The Lipo Cut-Off isn't what's being re calibrated it's the ESC itself, I don't know how it makes a difference but it does.. As for the thermal protection thought, that was my first thought but the ESC doesn't even get hot Tiny, when turn off your ESC always turn it off by unplugging the battery, there's even a tag on the battery cord saying that. Otherwise there's a chance you will short your ESC and fry it inside.. Just a heads up
    Slugs are just naturally aspirated snails

RC poster
    Oh... i didnt know that had to shutdown the esc by unplugging the battery rather than just pressing the button. Well thanks for the little explanation on these things. But i didnt understand how you recalibrate your ESC. When your friend recalibrated his, was the problem solved?

Thanks.

RC poster
    Alright guys so i did a test run today with my lipo 3s to see if what you guys said would work. So i plugged the battery, then i recalibrated my esc, then i turned the lipo cut-off to off then back on, and then i put the car outside and tried it.

After 5 minutes, the same problem happened. The lipo cut-off cut the power and i wasnt able to drive. I unplugged the battery and waited about a minute and the i replugged it and this time the car didnt stop. I was able to play as long as i wanted but i stopped after like 20 minutes because i didnt have enough room to play on 3s. I checked the voltage and was able to get about 11.7 volts in each cell (i fully charged the pack at 12.6v).

I'll do more test runs tomorrow to see if the problem was solved. Thanks for your help guys!

tinynja98
    Last edited by tinynja98; 07-20-2013 at 09:33 PM.

RC Competitor
    Slow blinking red light is lipo cut off, fast blinking red light is thermal protection.

Straight from the manual

Fast Blinking Red: Thermal Shutdown Protection Stage 1. If the motor
    has lower than normal power and the VXL-3s is hot, the VXL-3s has
    entered Stage 1 Thermal Shutdown Protection to guard against
    overheating caused by excessive current flow. If the motor has no
    power and the VXL-3s is very hot, the VXL-3s has entered Stage 2
    Thermal Shutdown Protection and has automatically shut down. Let
    the VXL-3s cool. Make sure your model is properly geared for the
    conditions.
    Slow Blinking Red (with Low-Voltage Detection on): The VXL-3s has
    entered Low-Voltage Protection. When the battery voltage begins
    to reach the minimum recommended discharge voltage threshold
    for LiPo battery packs, the VXL-3s will limit the power output to
    50% throttle. When the battery voltage attempts to fall below the
    minimum threshold, the VXL-3s will shut down all motor output.
    The LED on the speed control will slowly blink red, indicating a low
    voltage shutdown. The VXL-3s will stay in this mode until a fully
    charged battery is connected.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandonrcm View Post
    Slow blinking red light is lipo cut off, fast blinking red light is thermal protection.

Straight from the manual

Fast Blinking Red: Thermal Shutdown Protection Stage 1. If the motor
    has lower than normal power and the VXL-3s is hot, the VXL-3s has
    entered Stage 1 Thermal Shutdown Protection to guard against
    overheating caused by excessive current flow. If the motor has no
    power and the VXL-3s is very hot, the VXL-3s has entered Stage 2
    Thermal Shutdown Protection and has automatically shut down. Let
    the VXL-3s cool. Make sure your model is properly geared for the
    conditions.
    Slow Blinking Red (with Low-Voltage Detection on): The VXL-3s has
    entered Low-Voltage Protection. When the battery voltage begins
    to reach the minimum recommended discharge voltage threshold
    for LiPo battery packs, the VXL-3s will limit the power output to
    50% throttle. When the battery voltage attempts to fall below the
    minimum threshold, the VXL-3s will shut down all motor output.
    The LED on the speed control will slowly blink red, indicating a low
    voltage shutdown. The VXL-3s will stay in this mode until a fully
    charged battery is connected.
    Thanks i didnt know this

I often see that people try to find answers for problems which can be found in the manual. Even if you bought a used car, you can download one from the site here.

Stepping from 2S to 3S gives a higher risk of heating up parts like the ESC and motor, especially if you do not adjust the gearing. A temp gun to check if parts do not get too hot is a must have tool in this hobby IMO, not only to have a more exact reading of temps, but also to prevent blisters on your fingers.

The LVC setting can not be changed on the VXL-3s.

Last thing: if you find words replaced by asterisks in your posts, you used words which are not allowed. Best is to edit them out to prevent the risk of getting warning points.
    Nobody is born with experience