RC Qualifier

rustler vxl motor gear screw stripped on motor shaft(not my fault)(help)

When I tried to remove the little allen bolt holding the metal drive gear on the motor shaft, the manufacturer made it sooooooooo tight that when I tried to extract it with the right allen key, it stripped. any explanations? and I cannot buy a new motor.

RC Racer
    If you haven't stripped it out to bad, get a high quality hex. Then heat the screw with a soldering iron. It should come right out.

then replace the old screw with a new one. Do not reuse the old one.
    Last edited by Flyextreme; 07-16-2013 at 02:51 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Heat the gear as much as you can. Try NOT to heat the screw itself though (the guy above me is wrong). Heat causes things to expand, so by heating the gear, it will very slightly loosen its grasp on the screw. If it's completely stripped and there's no way that an allen wrench will ever turn it, get a little drill bit and try to drill it out. If you can, use a left handed drill bit because sometimes the bit will back the screw out.

Try the heat it will make the gear expand slightly and burn off any thread lock that may have been used. If the set screw is totally wiped out and you just cant get a tool to back it out then from my experience the easiest fastest way to remove the pinion is to use a rotary tool like a Dremel and a grinding stone and grind away the pinion gear around the set screw. Be careful not to hit the motor shaft but typically the gear will come off long before you get that close to the motor shaft. Obviously you will need a new pinion gear.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Champion
    all you have to do for a quick fix is head to your local hobby shop and they'll have good quality hex driver that will get it out. if this doesnt work then try the methods stated above.

in the near future, invest in a good set of hex drivers 1.5mm 2.0mm and 2.5mm is all you'll need

A short term option is to do nothing and put a smaller spur gear on to change the gearing, if that's what you were trying to accomplish. Then you can change up the gearing a bit and worry about it later.

Also, when trying to loosen the gears, take the motor out to brace the pinion on a block of wood so you can put more pressure on it. Don't try loosening when its on the transmission case.
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

RC Champion
    My lhs told me is to drill it out , you'll lose your pinion gear , but it works , you'll need a vice to hold the gear . jmo
    1 Rusty VXL

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by F-R Racing View Post
    Heat the gear as much as you can. Try NOT to heat the screw itself though (the guy above me is wrong). Heat causes things to expand, so by heating the gear, it will very slightly loosen its grasp on the screw. If it's completely stripped and there's no way that an allen wrench will ever turn it, get a little drill bit and try to drill it out. If you can, use a left handed drill bit because sometimes the bit will back the screw out.
    I have always only heated the screw just enough to loosen the thread lock, not enough to "expand" the screw and it's always worked perfectly. What you say make perfect sense, but doesn't make me "wrong".
    Last edited by Flyextreme; 07-17-2013 at 01:46 PM.

RC Champion
    Both methods work just fine and I've used both. I prefer to use a soldering iron to heat the screw just enough to melt the thread lock. works every time. heating the gear will do as intended, but I don't like heating the motor any more than necessary. bottom line to the OP.. It really is your fault, not the manufacturer making the set screw too tight. Would you rather have the pinion gear fall off all the time. Using the proper tools and not the ones that came with the car, you wouldn't have this problem.. Sorry if I went on a bit of a rant, but please buy a decent set of allen drivers.. it will make your life so much easier.
    Maxx3.3/ rusty5700/ slash3800/ slash5700 /4tec3.3

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by cenracer1 View Post
    please buy a decent set of allen drivers.. it will make your life so much easier.
    True that.