Page 10 of 22 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
    RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by sean1214 View Post
    Foward power was the problem, once it got to a certain point the wheels would just spin. But it was never tried on 3s...
    So how far and how high did it go?

Quote Originally Posted by jason26 View Post
    Thought that bike track in the first post looked sorta familiar with the tennis centre behind it! Gotta take my boys there with their stampedes instead of their bikes someday!
    Oh for sure, it's a lot of fun, maybe we'll see you there one day

RC Champion
    New page, new photos...

More chrome sections

It really is Lame Flake Here it is with out the color backing coat

Here with the black backer

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by ViperZ View Post
    So how far and how high did it go?
    About 2 inches in height and 2 feet in length..... lame.....

On a better note, you body is looking real good, are you getting any paint bleed?
    Slash 4x4 LCG, Rusty VXL(not runnin), and my bike.

RC Champion
    About 2 inches in height and 2 feet in length..... lame.....

On a better note, you body is looking real good, are you getting any paint bleed?
    You could ramp it and see how far it glides

Thanks... no bleeds, but I just noticed a few things that I missed in clean-up... Dangit! It sort of kills my inspiration and now I just want to paint it one color and call it done

RC Champion
    In-between odd jobs today I decided to install the blue RPM arms onto my Ultimate... It was looking a bit tired so I felt I should do something to spruce it up. Now if only my blue RPM connecting link ends were here to complete the look....

I don't mind the look, much like changing socks it feels fresh and sort of new!

She was looking a bit tired beside the Rally under construction

Installed! I have Blue RPM Connecting links coming too that should add to the look

RC Competitor
    Are those 17mm hexes? Curious what wheels (not tires) you are using?

RC Champion
    Looks good! Whats the next upgrade?

RC Champion
    Yes, they are Traxxas 17mm adapters that allow you to run 1/8 scale buggy wheels. I'm not sure on the wheels as they came with the tires. I got them on ebay. Just search 1/8 buggy wheels and you should see them.

Looks good! Whats the next upgrade?
    Not much, it's getting to a state of replace as it breaks, but there are a few things I'm waiting on to be installed.

• Futaba R304SB Receiver
    • Steel Drive Shafts, I bought a set of Traxxas 6851/2R's a set of Integy INTT8545/29 to try out
    • RPM Blue Rod Ends
    • STRC Aluminum Front Shock Tower
    • Hot Racing Double Slipper Cutch with Double Graphite pads

That's about all that is planned for the time being.... Now the Rally....

RC Champion
    Actually I can answer to 2 of the 3 types I'm running...

These are Hot Bodies

These are Pro-Line Split Six

These ones I'm not sure, but I like them!

RC Champion
    Suprasales tires for the win. I have 7 sets! I finished your M3 thread. I love the concave wheels and your autox vids! When we have kids I'm getting my wife an suv and I'm taking over her IS350! I'm going to wish we ordered the ISF instead lol but I just couldn't swing 64k for a new one.. I've been considering getting LFA replica rims but I may do something oem and concave like yours. I've already put the FSport shocks, springs and swaybars and it handles quite well. Here's my album if you are interested in looking at it.
    Pro-2 SCB 2xSuperMaxx Revo-E SCT410

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by SLW-SVT View Post
    Suprasales tires for the win. I have 7 sets! I finished your M3 thread. I love the concave wheels and your autox vids! When we have kids I'm getting my wife an suv and I'm taking over her IS350! I'm going to wish we ordered the ISF instead lol but I just couldn't swing 64k for a new one.. I've been considering getting LFA replica rims but I may do something oem and concave like yours. I've already put the FSport shocks, springs and swaybars and it handles quite well. Here's my album if you are interested in looking at it.
    Thanks SLW-SVT! It's been a lot of fun, but these darn RC's have been stealing my attention! I need to get back to work on it before I park it for winter... That's a gorgeous IS350! I like your plan! Thanks for sharing!

So we went and did some quick pavement pounding of the Slash's after supper. It was all good until my other rear drive shaft broke. You know that one I predicted would? LOL It moves pretty fast on 20/54 with the 2400kv/Mamba Monster 2.. 86kph (53mph).

So rather than rebuild it with the plastic drive shafts I have as spares, I'll wait until the steel ones come in to run again...

My friend runs his new body

With the big boots! LOL

My Ultimate

Down for the count

RC Racer
    I love those rims, pretty cool.

How did you broke your shaft ? Just running or you hit something ?

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaysse View Post
    I love those rims, pretty cool.

How did you broke your shaft ? Just running or you hit something ?
    Thanks! Just running.. The Upgraded power system on the 3s Lipo is really hard on these plastic shafts. They were not designed for that amount of stress placed on it with this extreme application.

RC Racer
    Thanks! Just running.. The Upgraded power system on the 3s Lipo is really hard on these plastic shafts. They were not designed for that amount of stress placed on it with this extreme application.
    Glad i upgraded to Tekno before i put that Tekin 2500kv in then !

RC Champion
    Glad i upgraded to Tekno before i put that Tekin 2500kv in then !
    There ya go! I thought my steel axles would arrive at the same time as my power systems.. Oh well, it's like a badge of honor to break parts due to putting power down!

Much like flying an RC plane so fast and pulling so many G's you rip the wings off (true story)... sucks, but it gives all witnesses great stories to talk about, this is what legends are made of...

RC Champion
    I received some timely upgrades today! My Traxxas steel shafts arrived, I so needed these! Front shock tower, ESC hold down for the Rally Build, Integy steel drive shafts (Rally Build), IR Temperature gun, Blue RPM rod ends.. I even got an new RC airplane, but I won't talk about that here....

I set about installing the Steel Shafts, the rod ends and the Aluminum shock tower. It went pretty well, except I may have measured something wrong as my toe in was way out, not a big deal, I'll realign everything.

The Traxxas splined steel drive shafts are thing of beauty! I hope they hold up as well as they look to be built. Anything has got to be better than the plastic shafts that came with my Ultimate. I'm sure they hold up ok to regular use, but once the system is modified, it requires beefing up of the whole system.

So I think the Ultimate is looking as good as it's Rally Brother now.

Teardown and installation

Hopefully this is a thing of the past

Shock Tower, Steel drive shafts, blue rod ends installed. Front end complete

Rear end complete

Beside it's Rally Brother

RC Champion
    Looks good! Keep us updated on those shock towers!

RC Champion
    Looks good! Keep us updated on those shock towers!
    For sure will do! Man, these drive shafts are sweet!

RC Racer
    Yeah they look great. Wonder why Tekno shaft dont come with Dust boots, is it because they dont need em ?

RC Champion
    Yeah they look great. Wonder why Tekno shaft dont come with Dust boots, is it because they dont need em ?
    I suppose if the shaft is a solid one it does not require it on the shaft, however the CV area is open as well.

I like the boots! With the OEM plastic ones they got bunged up with grit and always needed disassembly and cleaning to maintain a smooth suspension action. I noticed these really make the suspension action fell really smooth due to the higher precision telescoping action. I think because the splines are tighter tolerance it requires the boots.

I installed the Integy ones on the front of the Rally. They are single solid shaft (like the Teknos) that does not telescope, thus does not require boots on the shaft. On the CV area time will tell how smooth the action is there with it being open, but already the suspension is not as smooth as the Ultimate. I can see I'm probably going to buy another set of the Traxxas ones, or get the X-01 shafts and carriers.

Here are the Integy Shafts on the Rally

Last edited by ViperZ; 09-04-2013 at 08:35 AM.

RC Racer
    Im going to try them without boots for a while just to see if they wareoff more quickly or anythingh. But it doesnt make sense to let this open like that. Maybe for speed runs, but for bashing...

RC Champion
    Im going to try them without boots for a while just to see if they wareoff more quickly or anythingh. But it doesnt make sense to let this open like that. Maybe for speed runs, but for bashing...
    It's probably not absolutely critical, as such a non issue. Look at the OEM plastic setup, it's all open and exposed, sliders and all...

RC Racer
    Is it important wich side of the shocktower the turnbuckle is fixed to ? In your pick they are fixed in front, but when i look the exploded vue in the manual, its on the other side.
    Last edited by Slaysse; 09-04-2013 at 10:34 AM.

RC Champion
    Is it important wich side of the shocktower the turnbuckle is fixed to ? In your pick they are fixed in front, but when i look the exploded vue in the manual, its on the other side.
    Hmmm not sure as I just went with what's seemed to fit the best way with the straightest alignment. I'll have to look again as it would not be the first time I did something backwards

RC Champion
    Slaysse, I just checked the placement of the turnbuckle as you mentioned. While you could certainly mount it behind the shock tower, it seem like it would be a pain to remove each time as it's tight and not as accessible as the front. Further it seems the line/angle is the best as is. Or am I missing what you're saying?

On another note I have progressed some more on my Silverado body.... There has been no real plan and it seems I'm making it up as I go. I missed cleaning a spot before the black lame flake, and I decided to try trimming the body before paint. I didn't do such a great job, so basically I just want to get it done as I've lost some heart...

Pearl overlay before the color coat

RC Champion
    It'll look better when it is done. How are the street fighters doing? Mine have no lateral grip.

RC Champion
    It'll look better when it is done. How are the street fighters doing? Mine have no lateral grip.
    Ha, Ha, the difference between a good paint job and a bad paint job is 2 weeks worth of solid bashing.. They'll look about the same by then

I haven't been using the Street Fighters, as I priamarlly run the 1/8 buggies, but they seem pretty good.. It all relitive as I find these trucks don't really handle that well on pavment when compared to a dedicaed onroad car like my Sprint 2.

RC Champion
    Ha, Ha, the difference between a good paint job and a bad paint job is 2 weeks worth of solid bashing.. They'll look about the same by then

I haven't been using the Street Fighters, as I priamarlly run the 1/8 buggies, but they seem pretty good.. It all relitive as I find these trucks don't really handle that well on pavment when compared to a dedicaed onroad car like my Sprint 2.
    Alright, I've been having a lot of understeer issues with my LCG.... How is it with the buggy tires? I am trying to get a happy medium between road and street...

RC Champion
    Alright, I've been having a lot of understeer issues with my LCG.... How is it with the buggy tires? I am trying to get a happy medium between road and street...
    I'm not sure we can answer that simply as it really depends on the surface and which tires you are wondering about... The Badlands reps are killer in loose stuff. The beach run had amazing grip and dig! The Knuckles are good in mixed hard pack and loose stuff as far as I can tell. The Road Rages have excellent grip, but I can over-steer them easily on pavement, it may have to do with the power system. Plus there are some suspension tweaks and adjustments I need to make to improve pavement handling overall, but I may do that on the Rally. The Ultimate I want to use mainly off road.

Generally I'm pretty happy with the 1/8 buggy wheels I have. However I do like the 3.0/2.2 I have as well. Each has their own intended use and specific applications, some straddle the borders. That's why we own so many sets of tires, just like shoes
    Last edited by ViperZ; 09-04-2013 at 09:36 PM.

RC Champion
    The Road Rages have excellent grip, but I can over-steer them easily on pavement
    Thats what I want! If you get any more tires let me know how they perform, right now I am doing most of my slower than slow build based on your feedback.

RC Champion
    Okay I'm really just a hack and I tend to like most things. I think we over think a lot of things related to RC as it give us a sense of purpose. Just an example, there is something wrong when shock oils are available 0.5 increments of viscosity.... Really?? Dude....

Just my observation grounded in my reality. Yours may be different, so if these things really matter, then they do

RC Champion
    In my never ending addiction for tires, I obtained a pair of these today in the mail. More competition hard pack designed tire, but I was really after the wheels! They have a nice polished Black look to them. I have a set of Knuckles I may mount on these.

RC Racer
    Slaysse, I just checked the placement of the turnbuckle as you mentioned. While you could certainly mount it behind the shock tower, it seem like it would be a pain to remove each time as it's tight and not as accessible as the front. Further it seems the line/angle is the best as is. Or am I missing what you're saying?
    Well, i was just wondering after checking the exploded plans, my slash is completely dismantled at the moment and soon the be remounted and could not remember where those were fixed.

RC Racer
    Finally fixed it same place as you did.

RC Champion
    Finally fixed it same place as you did.
    Excellent!!

Finished the Silverado body, It turned out better than I had expected! It was an experimentation in different paints I had never used before, and different techniques. It's really had to capture the overall effect in pictures as I had to underexpose the images just to capture its essense.. It was a lot of BLING, for the camera!

• First was the Spaz Stix Chrome Grill and side moldings.
    • Then the Lame Flake in the back section followed with black backer
    • Pearl white base for the main body color
    • Tiger stripe masking on the side
    • Fluorescent Green paint followed with white backer paint
    • Lame Flake on blue section followed with metallic blue & then silver backer
    • Fluorescent Orange on the Tiger stripe followed with white backer
    • Spaz Stik Chrome Stripe followed with Aluminum silver paint
    • Decals, and that was my morning

RC Champion
    LOL it hurts the eyes! But is it ever nice to see!

RC Racer
    Thats nice, love the weels. You only need mirrors now.
    Last edited by Slaysse; 09-05-2013 at 03:33 PM.

RC Champion
    Thats nice, love the weels. You only need mirrors now.
    Funny, I was thinking the same thing! Thanks!

RC Champion
    Here are some more casual shots of the body. I tried to capture it non electrified and unplugged

RC Racer
    Looks awsome man nice job