Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
    RC Champion
    Here are some more casual shots of the body. I tried to capture it non electrified and unplugged

Quote Originally Posted by BEvans454 View Post
    Looks awsome man nice job
    Thanks BEvans! This is one body I'm going to rock hard! I may need a few more of them
    Last edited by ViperZ; 09-05-2013 at 04:32 PM.

RC Champion
    Looks good! I love those wheels! Where'd you get'em?
    Slash 4x4 LCG, Rusty VXL(not runnin), and my bike.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by ViperZ View Post
    Here are some more casual shots of the body. I tried to capture it non electrified and unplugged
    Thanks BEvans! This is one body I'm going to rock hard! I may need a few more of them
    the part on the side where it looks like its torn did you just leave that clear with no paint on it or did u paint it with something cause in the pics i can't tell do to the glare from everything around it????

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by sean1214 View Post
    Looks good! I love those wheels! Where'd you get'em?
    ebay

Quote Originally Posted by BEvans454 View Post
    the part on the side where it looks like its torn did you just leave that clear with no paint on it or did u paint it with something cause in the pics i can't tell do to the glare from everything around it????
    Its painted with Spaz Stix Chrome paint.

RC Champion
    Just in case you are not sick of me yet and want to see more...

RC Champion
    ebay
    Found'em, thanks!

RC poster
    really nice body, what kind of time did you put in that paint job? how much paint did you use? Is this a shelf queen body now?

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by convicted21 View Post
    really nice body, what kind of time did you put in that paint job? how much paint did you use? Is this a shelf queen body now?
    Thanks, If I was to estimate, I would say 6-8 hours... It was over the course of many days as I sourced paints for it. It took a lot of paint in that differing layers and backing required.

This is the paint list.
    • Pearl White
    • Lame Flake
    • Black
    • Aluminum Silver
    • Fluorescent Green
    • Fluorescent Orange
    • White Fluorescent backer
    • Metallic Blue
    • Spaz Stix Chrome

No, I'll be running this body as soon as the paint cures and I can add some rub tape to the inside A person can always paint another body

RC Champion
    I didn't know you used that much paint....

Dude that is one hot slash you got thereand the paint job is popping............peace
    Famous last words...watch this!!!!

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by sean1214 View Post
    I didn't know you used that much paint....
    Really hey??? Until I typed it out, I never realized how much

Quote Originally Posted by spenniepoos View Post
    Dude that is one hot slash you got thereand the paint job is popping............peace
    Thanks for your comments!!

RC poster
    Very nice!! Keep up the awesome work!!!

RC Qualifier
    Holy smoking Chevy.....that is an awesome paint job viperZ...it looks amazing and love the sparkle of the lame flake...the chrome looks shiny and you know i love shiny things...Lol...you have done yourself proud.!!!!!.....and I'm loving your new rims being that I'm a sucker for rims...the knuckles look sweet on your split six rims tooooo.....still waiting for my knuckles in the mail....the blue RPM parts look really fresh on your truck....amazing work dude....

RC Qualifier
    Looks wicked! Really digging the colors you chose.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by opg4 View Post
    Very nice!! Keep up the awesome work!!!
    Thanks Man!

Quote Originally Posted by simon32man View Post
    Holy smoking Chevy.....that is an awesome paint job viperZ...it looks amazing and love the sparkle of the lame flake...the chrome looks shiny and you know i love shiny things...Lol...you have done yourself proud.!!!!!.....and I'm loving your new rims being that I'm a sucker for rims...the knuckles look sweet on your split six rims tooooo.....still waiting for my knuckles in the mail....the blue RPM parts look really fresh on your truck....amazing work dude....
    Thanks Simon! I wasn't so sure of the blue parts at first, but now what the heck, it's all for fun! Hope you get the Knuckles soon, they are great all around tires! Decals are coming your way! Thanks on the paint job, I find I just want to keep painting, bit the LHS is out of stock on paint.....

Quote Originally Posted by Clint Cart View Post
    Looks wicked! Really digging the colors you chose.
    Thanks Clint! You'll have to see it in person. That Pearl Flo Green with the Lame Flake sections is just major "Blingage" It turned out better than I had anticipated.

RC Racer
    So nice. Like I said before your attention to detail is impeccable.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by SASKCHAUCH View Post
    So nice. Like I said before your attention to detail is impeccable.
    Thanks for saying that!

RC Qualifier
    The blue looks good...but if you woud of asked me before i seen it i would of had my reservations but i like..... I know what you mean?...it's like a bug...when you start painting you just wanna do more..cant wait to start mine...once your decals arrive i will see how the colour shades of paint i have chose and then if i like my choice i will start.!!!!...thanks again bing ..the knuckles will be for my son due to the fact ive got him lots of upgrades coming including king headz motor mount...xo-1 drive shafts front and rear...complete with 17 mm hexes and caster and steering blocks ready for a new power lump...has your HR slipper arrived yet?...

RC Champion
    The blue looks good...but if you woud of asked me before i seen it i would of had my reservations but i like..... I know what you mean?...it's like a bug...when you start painting you just wanna do more..cant wait to start mine...once your decals arrive i will see how the colour shades of paint i have chose and then if i like my choice i will start.!!!!...thanks again bing ..the knuckles will be for my son due to the fact ive got him lots of upgrades coming including king headz motor mount...xo-1 drive shafts front and rear...complete with 17 mm hexes and caster and steering blocks ready for a new power lump...has your HR slipper arrived yet?...
    Heh, thanks! Yeah I was originally planning on Black, but after I did the back section in the black, I decided it needed a bit more color. I did test a sample of Lame Flake, with translucent blue backed with metallic green, which looked a very nice turquoise, but I wanted a bit more color contrast, and went with the metallic blue.

Sounds like some nice upgrades for your sons truck! I like that whole X-01 setup as I like the bolt through 17mm hubs rather than a drive pin... Nice plan!

No, I have not received the clutches yet.... Yes that's right clutches... I couldn't decide so I went with both

TRX15GP Power Double Up Slipper System

With Graphite Pads

TRX15EX06 Super Duty Slipper System

I figured one will go in to the Ultimate and the other into the Rally...

RC Qualifier
    Lol....you sure don't do things by half!!!!!.....they look sooooo pretty....can't wait for your report on them

RC Champion
    Lol....you sure don't do things by half!!!!!.....they look sooooo pretty....can't wait for your report on them
    I hope they work out well... I was taken by the Bling!

RC Qualifier
    I hope they work out well... I was taken by the Bling!
    me too as I will be going with one of them once I know from your good self which one you prefer?....the open slashing on the side of your...how was that technique done?...its brilliant...

RC Champion
    me too as I will be going with one of them once I know from your good self which one you prefer?....the open slashing on the side of your...how was that technique done?...its brilliant...
    I'm thinking I'm liking the Silver Double Up one already as replacement friction surfaces are readily available everywhere. They can use the OEM ones.

The second one is a custom cut friction surface, so I better stock up on a pad or two...

The open slashing is actually a Parma Tiger stripe masking kit that I lengthened out by joining 2 masks together. It has the outer thin stripe as well as the main stripe already pre-cut. I used a strip of masking tape as a transfer of the mask to the body. This keeps the whole affair together while you place it. Once down I sprayed the Green, and blue, then removed the pin stripe, sprayed the Orange, removed the main stripe sprayed the chrome.

The Parma masking kits come in many variants like flames, lightning bolts, skulls etc... I got mine at the LHS.

RC Qualifier
    I'm thinking I'm liking the Silver Double Up one already as replacement friction surfaces are readily available everywhere. They can use the OEM ones.

The second one is a custom cut friction surface, so I better stock up on a pad or two...

The open slashing is actually a Parma Tiger stripe masking kit that I lengthened out by joining 2 masks together. It has the outer thin stripe as well as the main stripe already pre-cut. I used a strip of masking tape as a transfer of the mask to the body. This keeps the whole affair together while you place it. Once down I sprayed the Green, and blue, then removed the pin stripe, sprayed the Orange, removed the main stripe sprayed the chrome.

The Parma masking kits come in many variants like flames, lightning bolts, skulls etc... I got mine at the LHS.
    well you did an awesome job bing.....it really looks good and you executed it brilliantly with the colours

RC Champion
    well you did an awesome job bing.....it really looks good and you executed it brilliantly with the colours
    Thanks Simon! It turned out better than I though it would. Believe it or not at one time I didn't have a lot of hope for this body and lost some heart with it....

RC Qualifier
    Thanks Simon! It turned out better than I though it would. Believe it or not at one time I didn't have a lot of hope for this body and lost some heart with it....
    Lol.....you lose heart?....Never....you are the man....and I pretty much think that paint scheme and your builds shows how talented you are....

RC Champion
    Lol.....you lose heart?....Never....you are the man....and I pretty much think that paint scheme and your builds shows how talented you are....
    Ah Simon Thanks for pumping me up

RC Qualifier
    bing you forget.....im your secret stalker now.....ooops....Lol....been doing lots of reading about what you've done in the world of rc....and your m3 blog.....im not pumping you up.....just saying as it is

RC Champion
    Well thanks for sating that buddy! Cheers!

RC Qualifier
    A pleasure

RC Champion
    Seeing I have the steel drive shafts in place now, I soldered the connectors on to my 4500mah 4s packs yesterday. installed the extended battery strap on the Ultimate and took it for a quick spin.... Its Pretty Fast!!

I didn't get the radar on it but will today I'm sure its got to be close to 60mph....

I will mostly use the Ultimate in 3s mode, as the 4s is more for the Rally, but I wanted to get a early look at what's to come with the Rally.

The 4500 3s Lipo in comparison to the 4500 4s

Extended battery strap

Here you can see It still has room, in spite of the size of the lipo, I still used a foam spacer and the smaller side of the strap

Stay tuned for further test runs to be ran today

RC Qualifier
    Awesome dude....was that on 18/54 gearing?....on another note is your lighting kit a RCL106 MB

RC Competitor
    It looks like itīs brand new! Nice work keeping it clean!

Good luck on the speed runs!

RC Champion
    Awesome dude....was that on 18/54 gearing?....on another note is your lighting kit a RCL106 MB
    Yes I think the gearing is 18/54 Funny, I was just going to check and see about installing the 20t I have. Yes the light module is a RCL106MB. I love this module and the light set! I was running it in the dark last night and it really helps.

That being said , I just purchased 2 of the RC4WD Light bars. I wanted one for the Rally, but said may as well order 2 and see how they work. It's just the head light only so I may need another RCL106 for the brake lights, that's what I like about that light module most is the brake lights.

http://store.rc4wd.com/110-High-Perf...ar_p_2476.html

Quote Originally Posted by K_1_M View Post
    It looks like itīs brand new! Nice work keeping it clean!

Good luck on the speed runs!
    Thanks! I try to keep it that way by thorough cleaning after each session. Plus it has been getting new parts which helps

RC Qualifier
    [QUOTE=ViperZ;5573341]Yes I think the gearing is 18/54 Funny, I was just going to check and see about installing the 20t I have. Yes the light module is a RCL106MB. I love this module and the light set! I was running it in the dark last night and it really helps.

That being said , I just purchased 2 of the RC4WD Light bars. I wanted one for the Rally, but said may as well order 2 and see how they work. It's just the head light only so I may need another RCL106 for the brake lights, that's what I like about that light module most is the brake lights.

http://store.rc4wd.com/110-High-Perf...ar_p_2476.html

Great i keep checking to see how you do with different pinions....just ordered light set thanks for clarification...I seen that light bar on YouTube and boy it looks bright....Lol....I think I may start calling you Noah...Lol

RC Champion
    [QUOTE=simon32man;5573357]
    Yes I think the gearing is 18/54 Funny, I was just going to check and see about installing the 20t I have. Yes the light module is a RCL106MB. I love this module and the light set! I was running it in the dark last night and it really helps.

Great i keep checking to see how you do with different pinions....just ordered light set thanks for clarification...I seen that light bar on YouTube and boy it looks bright....Lol....I think I may start calling you Noah...Lol
    You will not be disappointed in that light module! It's what make my Ultimate so special to me

LOL Noah....

RC Qualifier
    I've been shopping about and they seem the best deal and i like the look of yours......they do look sweet on truck

RC Champion
    ^^^ Excellent Simon!

So the speed runs today was quite the ordeal... Let me say I think the MM2 &2400kv on 4s is about the limit of fun for me. It's just too insane at this point! Sure its fun as heck but in a different way. The speed and power thrill is there, but it pushes everything to the extreme point of breaking or weakness. The actual fun of just going out and dumping a bunch of lipo packs is gone as it seems I could not get through even one lipo with out something breaking, or needing adjustment, or tweaking or fiddling with....

Maybe if I could stay off the throttle, but I'm too much of a masher and just go all out with no respect for the power at hand. I can't imaging my Rally build... that is going to be insane for this Ultimate is a monster on 4s... Plain and simple.... I'm sticking to a 3s for this unit.

SO, the first run of the day sort of ended up as a total bust... Literally. I was coming towards us at full throttle and the truck veered to the left, I tried to brake, but it had too much speed and ran in to the tire of my friends Honda Civic, backwards... Good thing there was no damage to his car for I would have felt bad....

Total carnage was a bent main shaft, bent rear shock tower, bent motor mount plate, cracked chassis.

A trip to the hobby store, $32 later, well actually triple that as I bought a bunch of paint, more spare parts and some other stuff for my planes... I came back and rebuilt it in short time and was ready for the second attempt.

Second round, things were working well, I was more respectful and eased into it. It was running pretty good, however now the tires are the limitation. They balloon so badly they throw the truck into a balloon hydro plane if you will, which eventually causes loss of all control as the truck flips itself through the air at 96 kph, out of control, hurtling through the air, end over end so many times it's scary.... Needless to say I had to shut it down, but not just yet. I drove it around, cautiously and gunned it every now and then to understand what was happening. It was the tires and the ballooning that was causing the problems. These tires are taped and worked well on the 3s with no ballooning at full throttle, however the 4s made them look like the rings of Saturn at full throttle.

I noticed the left rear side was the worse of the 4, and it had progressively gotten worse. Upon inspection part of the tire had come unglued on the back side causing big vibrations. So much so the axle stub was loose so I suspected I blew a bearing. The bench top autopsy confirmed that.

Today was not a total loss. I learnt a few things:
    • I have reach the limit of what i want in the Ultimate
    • 3s is good enough for this rig
    • Be respectful, these are not toys anymore, they are land missiles
    • My Ultimate was a lot more fun when it was closer to OEM
    • I think I have learnt my lesson for today, but will repeat the same mistakes all over again, a week from now

PS: Top speed I hit today was 96kph (59.65mph) I think using 0 digit rounding I can say 60mph

Photos:

1st attempt

After hitting the tire of my fiends car

Carnage
    Last edited by ViperZ; 09-08-2013 at 09:46 PM.

RC Champion
    Second attempt

Not even hot

My friends OEM Velinion running 3s

Blew a tire

And a bearing

The Monster resting now..

RC Qualifier
    brilliant report bing.....major carnage....shame but as we push these trucks it comes with a price....and true its not that much fun as we push them to the limits...always tweeking and repairing........running on 3s for me is so much fun and definitely my limit...and its quick enough to make me giggle a lot...and that to me is such a wow factor...