Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 40 of 845

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Saskatoon, SK. Canada
    Posts
    1,808

    My New Slash 4x4 Ultimate, Great Fun!

    Hey all, New to the Traxxas family. My buddy had been after me for some time to get a Slash, so I finally cave in and ordered Slash Ultimate. It came home to me yesterday from Edmonton, so I only had time to make some connectors, charge the batteries and familiarize myself with the kit. I was waffling between the Platinum Kit and buying a quality radio like a Futaba or Airtronics, but decided to just get the RTR for the time being, so I could basically plug and play.

    I have to say, I was surprised in the irony of getting my kit in the Greg Adler color scheme, only because 2 of my friends already have the Slash 4x4 in this scheme. Needless to say something had to be done about it. So a trip to the hobby store at lunch today yielded a Robbie Gordon scheme. I was actually looking for a clear body I could paint, but there really wasn't anything in stock at the store, so I settle for this one as I liked the bright color. I also had plans of paining a body in pearl white and flo orange, so this one called my name.

    After work my friends and I headed out to a local BMX track and proceeded to bash, what a hoot! I was using a pair of Ntech 5300mah, 70c packs I had purchased for an on-road car I was building, but used them here instead. I was amazed at the amount of run time form these packs, and how much power they supplied to the truck! 2 packs was more than enough for the evening of running around.

    About the only disappointment I have is the feel of the steering wheel feedback on the TQi transmitter. It really felt stiff, non linear and disconnected to the truck, its as if the wheel needed a bit more movement to allow more input feel or something. I have driven cars for quite some time and this was the strangest feeling radio I have felt ever. Needless to say that is my next upgrade. To be fair I wasn't expecting a lot, and when I did see how the Traxxas Link worked I was sort of excited for this using my iphone. Needless to say, it's not enough to hold me.

    The truck itself is a hoot, as I could not believe the amount of punishment and abuse it took and just kept running. Its amazing the stuff this truck will run through.. There wasn't a lot of stuff that held it up, or got it stuck, it would just tear up anything in it's path. I can't image it on a 3s, which I'm looking forward to, and maybe sometime down the road a Mamba Pro 2700kv.

    Anyway, enough reading, here are some pictures of the kit out of the box and the session this evening. Enjoy!

    The Greg Adler scheme


    She'll never look this new again


    First thins I had to make a Traxxas to Dean connector, as well as a few hard case lipo connectors


    The chassis in my little shop of horrors


    Another look at the shiny new kit


    Charging the OEM Lipo, as it seemd charged. I lent it to my friend and he though it was discharged. Looking into it now


    Traxxas Link


    I was surpized the hubs were not aluminum too


    Out at the play ground


    Handles nice in the air

  2. #2
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Saskatoon, SK. Canada
    Posts
    1,808
    Nice dust trail, stable. I took this shot while driving too!


    My buddies Slash


    My buddies Summit


    As long as you kept throttle on, it would not sink


    My buddy airing out my Slash, he still landed it!


    The Summit doing the water trough


    My Slash looking real like


    More water


    Nice Dust storm


    Took a beating, but seems no worse for wear

  3. #3
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Norfolk, va
    Posts
    1,167
    Nice.
    One of these days we need to bring the cameras and get some action shots of the cars.
    I've been really pleased with my slash 4x4's, had 1 last week and this week I somehow ended up with 3 more, 2 lcg and 2 hcg.

    Oh, inspect and clean your bearings, especially the center bearing on the the motor mount.
    ERBE, ERBE, Summit, Slash 4X4, Bandit,

  4. #4
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Saskatoon, SK. Canada
    Posts
    1,808
    Thanks for the tip!

    I was wonder what type of maintenance I should do to it after it's hard, welcome to the world session today! I really had to rinse it off with the garden hose for some time to get it clean and was thinking I should re lube stuff

  5. #5
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Norfolk, va
    Posts
    1,167
    Ya, we spray down the waterproof cars with the garden hose then spray it down with wd-40 and dry it off with compressed air.
    The non waterproof cars get carefully sprayed down with wd-40 and wiped dry.
    ERBE, ERBE, Summit, Slash 4X4, Bandit,

  6. #6
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Saskatoon, SK. Canada
    Posts
    1,808
    Great tip! This morning when the car was dry, I cleaned it up more. Opened the motor mount cover and it was still wet and full of pebbles grit and junk! I'll let it dry up and them clean it after work. I can seen this being a regular maintenance step after each run for a smooth running drive train.

    I also opened up the radio box to let out moisture that was still in there.

  7. #7
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. El Sob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    El Sobrante, Ca
    Posts
    7,094
    Welcome to the forum and the addiction! You are amongst a group of people who share the love of the Traxxas Slash 4x4! If you have questions please feel free to do so, Remember that we are here to help
    Slash Ultimate, ET-3S, 2400, MIP, King Headz, RPM

  8. #8
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Saskatoon Saskatchewan Canada
    Posts
    252
    Great pictures as always!
    I really wished I could have made it; next time....

    I'm really diggin' that body too.

  9. #9
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Saskatoon, SK. Canada
    Posts
    1,808
    Quote Originally Posted by El Sob View Post
    Welcome to the forum and the addiction! You are amongst a group of people who share the love of the Traxxas Slash 4x4! If you have questions please feel free to do so, Remember that we are here to help
    Thanks! I would like to know a bit more about you Mamba Pro set up and how it runs for you?


    Quote Originally Posted by Clint Cart View Post
    Great pictures as always!
    I really wished I could have made it; next time....

    I'm really diggin' that body too.
    Thanks Clint! Next time, it will be a hoot!

  10. #10
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. El Sob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    El Sobrante, Ca
    Posts
    7,094
    Quote Originally Posted by ViperZ View Post
    Thanks! I would like to know a bit more about you Mamba Pro set up and how it runs for you?




    Thanks Clint! Next time, it will be a hoot!
    The Mamba Max Pro and 2400 motor is an excellent upgrade over the stock motor system! You can run it WAY harder than the stock system and not have high motor temperatures. I highly recommend it. You can get one at a reasonable price if you go to eBay and look for the motor system out of the Traxxas funny car. The motor is the same but the esc is 3s maximum where as the Castle Creations Mamba Max Pro is 6s maximum. I hope you are still enjoying your truck!
    Slash Ultimate, ET-3S, 2400, MIP, King Headz, RPM

  11. #11
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Saskatoon, SK. Canada
    Posts
    1,808
    Awesome!, Thanks! What gear ratio are you running with the MMP?

  12. #12
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. El Sob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    El Sobrante, Ca
    Posts
    7,094
    Quote Originally Posted by ViperZ View Post
    Awesome!, Thanks! What gear ratio are you running with the MMP?
    On my street Slash I run 22/50 on 4s! I have GPS' d it at 79.79 mph. My Ultimate Edition is geared 19/54 and I run it on 3s. I have yet to do a GPS run but for bashing purposes it is plenty fast and has great power.
    Slash Ultimate, ET-3S, 2400, MIP, King Headz, RPM

  13. #13
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    8
    I have a 2wd slash and have been wanting to get a 4wd. Should I get 1?

  14. #14
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Saskatoon, SK. Canada
    Posts
    1,808
    Quote Originally Posted by Lmelton21 View Post
    I have a 2wd slash and have been wanting to get a 4wd. Should I get 1?
    Sure, a person can never have too many toys

  15. #15
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Norfolk, va
    Posts
    1,167
    Quote Originally Posted by Lmelton21 View Post
    I have a 2wd slash and have been wanting to get a 4wd. Should I get 1?
    Ya, but I would build one from scratch since all the upgrades to make it bullet proof basically replaces almost the entire car.
    The only stock parts you'll end up using are the chassis, bulkheads, diff cases, camber links, and hinge pins.
    ERBE, ERBE, Summit, Slash 4X4, Bandit,

  16. #16
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Saskatoon, SK. Canada
    Posts
    1,808
    Quote Originally Posted by Zepher View Post
    Ya, but I would build one from scratch since all the upgrades to make it bullet proof basically replaces almost the entire car.
    The only stock parts you'll end up using are the chassis, bulkheads, diff cases, camber links, and hinge pins.
    Ha, Ha, I can't wait to throwaway all my new OEM stuff then and upgrade

    I just got back from the hobby store with my buddy Kris (owner of the summit above), he picked up a baja VW body for it and a Mamba Monster 2 for it!!! That thing is going to be awesome

  17. #17
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Uk
    Posts
    702
    Unless you use Integy bulk heads and Lunsford camber rods and hinge pin set

  18. #18
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Saskatoon, SK. Canada
    Posts
    1,808
    Quote Originally Posted by simon32man View Post
    Unless you use Integy bulk heads and Lunsford camber rods and hinge pin set
    Sounds good!

    While I was totally envious of Kris getting a Mamba Monster for his Summit, I tried in vain to find something to buy... I did end up with a Proline Ford Raptor 150 SVT body for the Slash. This thing looks like it could look very nice!




  19. #19
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. O.G.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    South of St Louis
    Posts
    5,796
    Nice pics. You'll like the raptor body, mine lasted forever.
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

  20. #20
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Saskatoon, SK. Canada
    Posts
    1,808
    Quote Originally Posted by O.G. View Post
    Nice pics. You'll like the raptor body, mine lasted forever.
    Thanks! Yeah, its looks like it will be fun to paint up. Now just need to come up with a design. I may even copy the example above.


    Anybody know about the Big Bore Shocks on the Platinum/Ultimate versions? I had read somewhere it was said the shock caps are aluminum, however they look like plastic to me. It would be nice to get some Anodized caps for bling, nothing more than that

    Quote Originally Posted by sean1214 View Post
    Good choice on the body!

    http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...Gallery/page15

    Mine is a little past halfway in bright green.
    Nice Roughrider Green! Love it (round here we love our Green, google it )
    Last edited by cooleocool; 07-17-2013 at 09:19 PM. Reason: merge

  21. #21
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Temecula,CA (Maybe CT this summer)
    Posts
    1,419
    Good choice on the body!

    http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...Gallery/page15

    Mine is a little past halfway in bright green.
    Slash 4x4 LCG, Rusty VXL(not runnin), and my bike.

  22. #22
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Norfolk, va
    Posts
    1,167
    I am not feeling the beadlocs at the moment. they keep popping off the inside bead and this one came off of the wheel and rolled down the track. I thought the wheel fell off but it was the tire,
    ERBE, ERBE, Summit, Slash 4X4, Bandit,

  23. #23
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Saskatoon, SK. Canada
    Posts
    1,808
    Quote Originally Posted by Zepher View Post
    I am not feeling the beadlocs at the moment. they keep popping off the inside bead and this one came off of the wheel and rolled down the track. I thought the wheel fell off but it was the tire,
    Hmmm... That is a bummer! Maybe gluing is the surest way?

  24. #24
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. El Sob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    El Sobrante, Ca
    Posts
    7,094
    Quote Originally Posted by ViperZ View Post
    Hmmm... That is a bummer! Maybe gluing is the surest way?
    You are correct! The best way to keep tires on beadlock wheels is to sparingly glue them on there. You do not need to put a whole lot of glue on the insert, just enough to help them stick. You still have the beadlock rings adding pressure to the tire so a tiny amount of glue helps them not to fly off. It is also a lot easier to peel the tires off the rings than remove the tire off stock style rims. So you still ger the benefit of having quickly changing tires. I even glue my Proline tires on. With the MMP 2400 motor combination it will still throw the tires off the beadlocks.
    Slash Ultimate, ET-3S, 2400, MIP, King Headz, RPM

  25. #25
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    friendswood texas
    Posts
    1,130
    Quote Originally Posted by El Sob View Post
    You are correct! The best way to keep tires on beadlock wheels is to sparingly glue them on there. You do not need to put a whole lot of glue on the insert, just enough to help them stick. You still have the beadlock rings adding pressure to the tire so a tiny amount of glue helps them not to fly off. It is also a lot easier to peel the tires off the rings than remove the tire off stock style rims. So you still ger the benefit of having quickly changing tires. I even glue my Proline tires on. With the MMP 2400 motor combination it will still throw the tires off the beadlocks.
    Basher here and I use a small amount of silicone on the inner bead and the outer ring. Works great and easier clean up than glue. castle 2400 on 3S and not a problem.

  26. #26
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    California
    Posts
    56
    Quote Originally Posted by Zepher View Post
    I am not feeling the beadlocs at the moment. they keep popping off the inside bead and this one came off of the wheel and rolled down the track. I thought the wheel fell off but it was the tire,
    Proline beadlocks are meant to ONLY be used with Proline tires. Thats why the stock tires are popping off. Just upgrade and never look back. You wont regret it.

  27. #27
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Norfolk, va
    Posts
    1,167
    Quote Originally Posted by case182 View Post
    Proline beadlocks are meant to ONLY be used with Proline tires. Thats why the stock tires are popping off. Just upgrade and never look back. You wont regret it.
    Ok, that makes sense. These stock tires were on these beadlocs when I got them. My other set of beadlocs have trencher x tires on them and haven't come off at all, but I don't have much runtime on them.
    ERBE, ERBE, Summit, Slash 4X4, Bandit,

  28. #28
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    98
    If those are stock tires on proline bead locks, I don't think your going to have too good of luck. Proline tires are the only ones I found to work right with those rims. It seems there isn't enough bead on the stock tires.


    29 and counting........
    29 and counting......

  29. #29
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Saskatoon Saskatchewan Canada
    Posts
    252
    I agree; I just took a set if Duratrax tires off of my beadlocks and they had the same problems; I put on my Badlands and it was a night and day difference in fitment; these I can see staying put.

  30. #30
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Saskatoon, SK. Canada
    Posts
    1,808
    Anyone have glued rubber to alloy rims? I'm wondering how well that holds up as I see a set of alloy wheels I like however they are glue-ons..

    One thing I really notice the other day is the serious imbalance of the wheels while running on pavement or throttling while in hand. The truck shakes significantly, bordering on violent. I don't remember it being this bad new, and was thinking maybe the rims still have water trapped in them, although the squeeze test seems they are dry.

  31. #31
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. El Sob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    El Sobrante, Ca
    Posts
    7,094
    Quote Originally Posted by ViperZ View Post
    Anyone have glued rubber to alloy rims? I'm wondering how well that holds up as I see a set of alloy wheels I like however they are glue-ons..

    One thing I really notice the other day is the serious imbalance of the wheels while running on pavement or throttling while in hand. The truck shakes significantly, bordering on violent. I don't remember it being this bad new, and was thinking maybe the rims still have water trapped in them, although the squeeze test seems they are dry.
    If you think you may have water in your wheels, the best wat to remove it is to put small holes in between the lugs on your tires and give them some throttle. That way the water can escape since when the wheels are spinning fast centrifugal force has the water forced onto the inside of the tire. The holes will let the water escape. That should help with your wobble problem.
    Slash Ultimate, ET-3S, 2400, MIP, King Headz, RPM

  32. #32
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Saskatoon, SK. Canada
    Posts
    1,808
    Quote Originally Posted by El Sob View Post
    You are correct! The best way to keep tires on beadlock wheels is to sparingly glue them on there. You do not need to put a whole lot of glue on the insert, just enough to help them stick. You still have the beadlock rings adding pressure to the tire so a tiny amount of glue helps them not to fly off. It is also a lot easier to peel the tires off the rings than remove the tire off stock style rims. So you still ger the benefit of having quickly changing tires. I even glue my Proline tires on. With the MMP 2400 motor combination it will still throw the tires off the beadlocks.
    Quote Originally Posted by El Sob View Post
    If you think you may have water in your wheels, the best wat to remove it is to put small holes in between the lugs on your tires and give them some throttle. That way the water can escape since when the wheels are spinning fast centrifugal force has the water forced onto the inside of the tire. The holes will let the water escape. That should help with your wobble problem.
    Hmmm, Good plans all around, Thanks!

  33. #33
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Saskatoon, SK. Canada
    Posts
    1,808
    Oh yeah, I put a few pin holes in the tires and the amount of water that came out was amazing! I ran it for a few minutes, and most of the moisture is out enough the wheels are balanced again!

    I was thinking about doing this, but didn't know how it may affect the durability of the tires, regardless it has to be better than the imbalance the stress it puts on the truck. Better to replace tires than components.

    Thanks Again!

  34. #34
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. El Sob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    El Sobrante, Ca
    Posts
    7,094
    Quote Originally Posted by ViperZ View Post
    Oh yeah, I put a few pin holes in the tires and the amount of water that came out was amazing! I ran it for a few minutes, and most of the moisture is out enough the wheels are balanced again!

    I was thinking about doing this, but didn't know how it may affect the durability of the tires, regardless it has to be better than the imbalance the stress it puts on the truck. Better to replace tires than components.

    Thanks Again!
    I am happy I was able to assist you in fixing your truck! As I always say ," We are here to help! " You are very welcome, I always do my best to help out
    Slash Ultimate, ET-3S, 2400, MIP, King Headz, RPM

  35. #35
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Saskatoon, SK. Canada
    Posts
    1,808
    Stopped by the Hobby store today as it was enroute They didn't have what I was wanting, but I had to buy something. I ended up with a set of Pro Line Gladiator tires and a pair of Black BeadLocks. I have more Beadlocks coming, as well as the Badlands and Street Fighters. These will be fun to try .








  36. #36
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Saskatoon Saskatchewan Canada
    Posts
    252
    Hahaha!!! I too plan my shopping trips around the north end! LOL!
    Looking good!

  37. #37
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Temecula,CA (Maybe CT this summer)
    Posts
    1,419
    Looks good! Let me know how you like the gladiators.
    Slash 4x4 LCG, Rusty VXL(not runnin), and my bike.

  38. #38
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Saskatoon, SK. Canada
    Posts
    1,808
    Quote Originally Posted by sean1214 View Post
    Looks good! Let me know how you like the gladiators.
    Will do, once I get the second set of rims to mount the tires on

    I did get my red ringed Beadlocks and Badlands last week. They look badassed and are significantly larger in diameter and width that the other sets of tires I have. One thing I do have to say is I really like the Pro-line beadlock concept, and if they work as good as they assemble together, these are killer!

    I had purchased a set of STRC anodized aluminum beadlock rings for the Pro-Line Split Six and hope they maintain system integrity.



    Pro-line Split Six Beadlocks and Badlands





    Left to Right, Badlands, Gladiators, OEM BF Goodrich

  39. #39
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    79
    Quote Originally Posted by ViperZ View Post
    Will do, once I get the second set of rims to mount the tires on

    I did get my red ringed Beadlocks and Badlands last week. They look badassed and are significantly larger in diameter and width that the other sets of tires I have. One thing I do have to say is I really like the Pro-line beadlock concept, and if they work as good as they assemble together, these are killer!

    I had purchased a set of STRC anodized aluminum beadlock rings for the Pro-Line Split Six and hope they maintain system integrity.



    Pro-line Split Six Beadlocks and Badlands





    Left to Right, Badlands, Gladiators, OEM BF Goodrich
    Hey my slash ultimate is coming on Monday. I'm thinking about going to buy some tires for the track. The BF Goodrich tires are good for off road bashing right? The Gladiator tires in your pic...are those for indoor tracks? I also wanted to ask you what kind of camera you are using? Those are great pics, honestly though they look photo shopped.
    Slash 4X4 Ultimate LCG,
    Telemetry, ESC Cooler

  40. #40
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Saskatoon, SK. Canada
    Posts
    1,808
    Quote Originally Posted by bansheerider View Post
    Hey my slash ultimate is coming on Monday. I'm thinking about going to buy some tires for the track. The BF Goodrich tires are good for off road bashing right? The Gladiator tires in your pic...are those for indoor tracks? I also wanted to ask you what kind of camera you are using? Those are great pics, honestly though they look photo shopped.
    Yes, as far as I can tell the BF Goodrich are good bashing tires. From my gut feel and what I have read, the Gladiators are more for packed dirt tracks or semi groomed race courses, with smaller loose debris. Apparently they are pretty good on pavement too. They are more an all around tire with out being specialized like the Badlands.

    Thanks on the photos! I use all Nikon cameras, for these its a Nikon D300 or D600 body. For the static bench shots I'm using a Nikkor 50mm f/1.4 lens (prime). For the outside action shots a 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 zoom lens. Let me know if you have any more questions regarding photography as it is also a favorite past time of mine


    So after reading simon32man Thread "My Ride So Far" I seen the look of the wheels I have really been wanting. That is a big diameter rim with a low profile sidewall. Using 1/8 scale buggy rims with 1/8th tires creates the look I'm after. I ordered up a few pairs of Pro Line 1/8 Split Six rims with Knuckles tires and maybe getting some Street Fighters in 1/8 buggy size. I was able to get the 17mm adapter hubs at our local hobby store. I'm excited for this setup!

    12mm to 17mm hub adapters and tire glue


    Pro-Line Split Six 1/8 Buggy rims


    Pro-Line Knuckels


    I love the look of the big rims & low profile tires

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •