Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Air Rifles

RC Champion
    ^^ I laugh every time I see your username.
    1:16 Slash VXL
    Stampede 4x4 3800kv
    Rustler VXL

RC Qualifier
    Yeah sand is the ultimate backstop as far as I'm concerned. The only range I've been to has a sand/dirt burm about 20 feet high and at least 15 feet thick.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimdog View Post
    ^^ I laugh every time I see your username.
    Thanks?? Lol

That must mean I can make you laugh...
    Never trust a fart.

RC Qualifier
    Any more suggestions/options?
    Never trust a fart.

RC Champion
    With the current ammo shortages and prices when I can find it, I bought my son and I a pair of 2400KT Crosman custom shop CO2 rifles this spring. We got 18" .177 barrels on ours and they are very accurate, and I love not having to pump it up! They both shoot in the 700fps range which is plenty for pest control. We shot them quite a bit this spring but the mosquitoes are terrible after the wet spring we had so we haven't been doing a lot of shooting the last month or so. Much cheaper than plinking with the .22's also even with the CO2 cartridges.
    My tranny case is stock :D

RC Qualifier
    Buzz, that's kind of one of the big reasons I want a high powered air rifle.. With today's world who knows what will happen to guns and ammo supply..may run out and never be replaced..

Pellets are cheap and easy to get. Pus you get a bunch when you do gets ammo.
    Never trust a fart.

RC Qualifier
    I figured I'd bring this thread back up and let you guys know that I'm planning on buying a Hatsan 95 in .177, a Plano hard case, a trigger lock, and 2000 rounds of Crossman Premier .177 cal hollow points. What do you guys think? Anyone hear anything about Hatsan? I've never heard of them before but they seem to be a pretty high quality brand. I don't think I need the case or the lock, especially since I'm the youngest and most inexperienced shooter in the house but you can never be too safe. Also... kind of a weird scenario... but suppose you ONLY had immediate access to a high powered air rifle during something like a home invasion? Would you threaten to use it hoping the intruder didn't know what he was looking at and knowing you almost definitely couldn't shoot to kill? I was thinking about this today after some creepy dudes showed up at my door wanting to "talk about business".

RC Qualifier
    I tried keeping this thread going but not very many people stay in my threads for some reason...or my threads get deleted.

Anyways...

Never heard of them so not sure. Just do a lot of reading and you'll soon find out if they are good or not.

If you had quick access to an air rifle during a home invasion and it was dark, you would be ok.. Especially if it was black and looked like a .22. If you could load it fast enough you could threaten them with a fully loaded gun and you're not afraid to use it. If you had to, I'm sure you could do some damage to them.

My brother just received his high powered air rifle the other day and its actually pretty cool. It shoots really hard and sounds like a .22, almost..
    Never trust a fart.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by F-R Racing View Post
    I figured I'd bring this thread back up and let you guys know that I'm planning on buying a Hatsan 95 in .177, a Plano hard case, a trigger lock, and 2000 rounds of Crossman Premier .177 cal hollow points. What do you guys think? Anyone hear anything about Hatsan? I've never heard of them before but they seem to be a pretty high quality brand. I don't think I need the case or the lock, especially since I'm the youngest and most inexperienced shooter in the house but you can never be too safe. Also... kind of a weird scenario... but suppose you ONLY had immediate access to a high powered air rifle during something like a home invasion? Would you threaten to use it hoping the intruder didn't know what he was looking at and knowing you almost definitely couldn't shoot to kill? I was thinking about this today after some creepy dudes showed up at my door wanting to "talk about business".
    If I felt that a 22cal single shot rifle was sufficient to do the job, I would be equally confidant in my 22cal air rifle. Well, at 50 yards or less anyway. I shoot holes in a junk car sometimes with that air rifle. It goes all the way through the door panel to.

RC Qualifier
    How well would the .177 hatsan air rifle compare to the Ruger Air Magnum?

I'm reading more and more bad reviews about the Ruger air magnum.. Shoots hard, heavy, hard recoil, etc..

I've read a handful reviews about the hatsan and I'm already liking it more.
    Never trust a fart.

RC Qualifier
    I did some digging and found this;

Hatsan Striker 1000S All Weather Black Synthetic Stock Combo Plus With Scope and Bi-pod .177 cal <---link

It has good reviews and all..I also like the looks and that it comes with both scope and bi-pod.
    Also way cheaper!
    Never trust a fart.

RC Qualifier
    interesting thread finally read thru it, now you got me thinking I need a air rifle that ruger mag looks nice, wonder if they make any bolt action style ( I love bolt actions rifles )
    Let's Go Steelers!!!... KCCO

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by ithrowstones View Post
    I did some digging and found this;

Hatsan Striker 1000S All Weather Black Synthetic Stock Combo Plus With Scope and Bi-pod .177 cal <---link

It has good reviews and all..I also like the looks and that it comes with both scope and bi-pod.
    Also way cheaper!
    I liked the wood stock of the 95 but it turns out they make a model 1000x with the Turkish walnut stock! I'll have to watch AirGunWebs videos on YouTube again and decide.

I think an air rifle would be perfect for the zombie apocalypse. Toi can buy tons of ammo cheap and use it for small game, and zombies. Gunfire attracts zombies, but maybe not an air rifle.

If you visit Prepper forums, many of them have air rifles as a backup.
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

I tried keeping this thread going but not very many people stay in my threads for some reason...or my threads get deleted.
    Hey we're here for ya Stones.

RC Qualifier
    Timber, I too like bolt action rifles.

O.G., I would of never thought to use an air rifle for zombie. I like how you think. I will look at the Prepper forum.
    And thanks! I appreciate it, alot!

I'm actually starting to like that Hatsan Model 95 gun..although I don't think it comes with an adjustable scope.

http://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Hatsan...k/2678#Reviews
    Last edited by ithrowstones; 07-27-2013 at 09:58 AM.
    Never trust a fart.

RC Qualifier
    Yeah there was something about the 95 that I liked better. I can't remember what it was though. I think it was when AirGunWeb said the stock of the 1000 sounded "hollow". If there's one thing I don't want in an air rifle, it's a hollow sounding gun. He also says the scope is usable but worth upgrading and the bipod is so bad that you shouldn't even waste your time thinking about using it.

RC Qualifier
    Yeah I watched the review on the 1000S. I don't want a hollow sounding gun either.

As for the scope, I wouldn't expect much for an air gun. I would like a scope but that's just me.

I'm leaning more towards the hatsan 95 in .177 cal over the striker 1000S and the Ruger air magnum..
    Never trust a fart.

RC Qualifier
    Just a little update for me. I went to Cabelas today and picked up a Gamo Big Cat. That thing is SWEET!!! Kinda. First shot was just a dry shot and it was way louder than a .22 so I thought I'd have to return it because I'm shooting within 150 yards of some yuppie neighbors with little kids. Second shot with a pellet was nice and quiet. A little cheap sounding though with the subsonic ammo. The PBA ammo definitely shoots supersonic though and the crack of the pellet covers up the plastic sounding gun. I sighted in the scope somewhat at like 5 yards just to get it in the ballpark and tomorrow ill sight it in at 20 yards all the way. The scope seems to have a little plastic turnings in in though. After like 3 shots, I got a curly little black thing in my sight picture. It changes every shot... Sometimes going away completely. It doesn't cause a big problem but if it doesn't go away after 100 shots or so, I'll have to send it back.

RC Qualifier
    I think your suppose to wait like 100-150 shots..if you sight i scope now, you'll just end up doing it again.
    Never trust a fart.

The scope seems to have a little plastic turnings in in though. After like 3 shots, I got a curly little black thing in my sight picture. It changes every shot... Sometimes going away completely. It doesn't cause a big problem but if it doesn't go away after 100 shots or so, I'll have to send it back.
    Most of the scope's that come in air rifle kits are bottom dollar cheepo's, just order up a decent one & call it a day.
    BSA, Leaper's & others make a decent quality scope at the lower end of the price range.
    http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...le+scope&rt=nc
    Look out for the tree/crunch!

LiPo? Naw NITRO!!

RC Qualifier
    I think your suppose to wait like 100-150 shots..if you sight i scope now, you'll just end up doing it again.
    yeah I figured I'd just try to get it close. I was 6" high and 6" to the left from like 5 yards and I figured it won't wear in and magically fix itself that much. I think I will get a decent scope sometime soon but it's the whole principle of selling me something that's broken. I paid for something that works as advertised so either they give me something that works as advertised or they don't get their money.

RC Qualifier
    so either they give me something that works as advertised or they don't get their money.
    I like your thinking.

You can send them an email and see what they say.
    Never trust a fart.

My air rifle settled down and got more accurate after about 600 rounds. I'd buy the cheap ammo and shoot it up before expecting best results. I Gamo decided it liked RWS superdome 8.3 grain ammo the best so I bought a couple thousand pellets... that should last me for a while. I shot up Crosman forever until it got accurate.

You'll need to clean the bore before shooting. I use a .17 cal rod that's made for the .17HMR.

RC Qualifier
    You especially need to clean it more often if you use lead pellets.
    Never trust a fart.