RC Enthusiast

Smile Where to buy and adapt an fan cooler to MERV motor or ESC? Mine is overheating a lot

Hey guys, I searched for an cooler fan to use in my MERV but didn't find it, only for Rustler VXL and I checked there is no plug for a fan there, do you guys know what one is good and where can I buy it and how to adapt it in the car? I'm using 3S stock gears, I know I should change the pinion for the high speed one that comes with the MERV, I will do that tomorrow but I'm afraid the overheat problems won't stop.

Thanks!

RC Competitor
    Try the integrity heatsink with the fan that's what I've got and seem to work good. I know it has the integrity name but its there best product and the only thing I'd buy from them. Lol and yes I would hear down a bit.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrxillen View Post
    Try the integrity heatsink with the fan that's what I've got and seem to work good. I know it has the integrity name but its there best product and the only thing I'd buy from them. Lol and yes I would hear down a bit.
    Could you please post a link of it? From TowerHobbies or something?

Thanks.

RC Competitor

Where to buy and adapt an fan cooler to MERV motor or ESC? Mine is overheatin...

I got mine from the eBay. You could try the toyz or one of the other online rc shops sorry I'm at work and can look it up for you

Sorry that was integy heat sink and fan I'll see if I can find a part # for you
    Last edited by Mrxillen; 07-15-2013 at 07:12 PM.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrxillen View Post
    I got mine from the eBay. You could try the toyz or one of the other online rc shops sorry I'm at work and can look it up for you

Sorry that was integy heat sink and fan I'll see if I can find a part # for you
    Thanks, would it be this one?

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXZRT6&P=ML

But I don't know how I would connect it, since there is no extra connector for it neither in ESC or the motor

RC Competitor

Where to buy and adapt an fan cooler to MERV motor or ESC? Mine is overheatin...

That's the one it plugs into the rx (receiver) you may have to trim the plastic on the plug a bit and just install it in an available slot.
    Last edited by Mrxillen; 07-15-2013 at 07:21 PM.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Vitor Franco View Post

But I don't know how I would connect it, since there is no extra connector for it neither in ESC or the motor
    It plugs into your receiver. Just make sure you don't plug it into the second "Channel 1" spot.
    --
    "Dude,I almost had you"
    R.I.P Paul Walker

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks, the Velineon 380 is a 540/550 size motor? And there is also a cooler fan for the ESC? Because both get overheat and the car cuts the power until it cool
    Last edited by Vitor Franco; 07-15-2013 at 07:51 PM.

RC Champion
    No the VXL 380 motor is not 540/550 size they are about 8mm larger, the VXL 380 is a 28mm motor and the 540/550's are 36mm.
    My tranny case is stock :D

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by buzzsaw 46 View Post
    No the VXL 380 motor is not 540/550 size they are about 8mm larger, the VXL 380 is a 28mm motor and the 540/550's are 36mm.
    I see...

Does this one uses the same connector that the motor fan one? I can plug in the receiver too?

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXUDN0&P=ML

I would be using for the ESC, and I can adapt to fit in the heatsink

RC Champion
    If I remember right...nobody makes a fan specifically designed for the VXL-3M
    --
    "Dude,I almost had you"
    R.I.P Paul Walker

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by dcfox View Post
    If I remember right...nobody makes a fan specifically designed for the VXL-3M
    I know, that's why I'm gonna use this one

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXUDN0&P=ML

Just need to know if I can plug in the receiver too

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    I had the Integy one... did absolutely nothing to bring temps down. The way it is designed the fan moves very little to no air.
    The correct way to control temps is through proper gearing. Fans are NOT the answer.

Also, you can plug it into ANY open port on the receiver... the open channel 1 included. The power is ran in parallel on the receiver, meaning all channels are fed from the same source.
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie Neutron View Post
    I had the Integy one... did absolutely nothing to bring temps down. The way it is designed the fan moves very little to no air.
    The correct way to control temps is through proper gearing. Fans are NOT the answer.

Also, you can plug it into ANY open port on the receiver... the open channel 1 included. The power is ran in parallel on the receiver, meaning all channels are fed from the same source.
    Really? **** I thought it would do a good job to bring temps down, I see a lot of people here using fans on their MERV's...

Maybe are my batteries too strong for the MERV? I'm using two 3S 1800mAh from MaxAmps in paralel, 50C each one...

3S requires gearing down or other upgrades.

The C rating is irrelevant in this situation... and I also extremely highly doubt those packs can actually produce 50C.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie Neutron View Post
    3S requires gearing down or other upgrades.

The C rating is irrelevant in this situation... and I also extremely highly doubt those packs can actually produce 50C.
    Ok, I will change the gearing tomorrow and see if I can bring temps down

Thats always a safe bet, try to get temps under control without extra fans. Then add fans as you see fit. Gear up after that.

Not a good idea to just toss a fan on an overheating motor/esc. Airflow isnt usually the issue.
    (RAH) (AH) + [ROMA (1+MA)] + (GA) + (OOH)(LA)

RC Racer
    I have a ESC from gottogo rc that allows the use of 2c lipos in series. It came with a fan. It works great. I geared it down to 23t and fried a stock motor with 14.8v even with a cooling fan heatsink on motor as well. I used the integy heatsink with the larger velenion cooling fan attached. It flows alot of air. Since I went to the Integy 4700kv motor I can run 3c lipo full tilt and motor doesnt even get hot, and 4c full tilt and the motor only gets up to about 105*. And this is with the 28t spur back in. I also have opened up some holes in the body as most do ...

3"C" and 4"C" would be discharge rates for LiPo... cell count is indicated with an "S" after the number to indicate the cells in series.

That is a pretty wicked set-up you have there... it must be a blast to drive!

RC Racer
    Yea, I'm a noob! I was going to edit my post after reading/learning on here. It really hauls! Had no issues till I tried the sandmoblie tracks.(just had to have them and probably won't run em again) Even geared down it got hot and my diffs started clicking. So now I have new steel cvds,center,front,rear diffs, and shims on the way. Just finished reading your bulkhead set up thread...

I was going to add for the original post that regular bearing maintenance is also important for temps. I bought metal sealed bearings. Clean and relube often. (learned that on here)

No problem on your noobness... at least you are willing to learn!

Maintenance is key in any mechanical item... there are a lot of life lessons that can be learned in this hobby.