RC Champion

Lipo's in refrigerator???

Anyone keep there Lipos in the Fridge? heard this wasn't a bad idea. I may have to try this soon.

I have 2 lipos that are both puffing because I leave them in my garage with my RC's and I never thought about how hot it is in there during the daytime. plus the fact that I live in SoCal makes it even a touchier situation dealing with LiPos because its hotter than beep here.

now I'm kinda scared to charge my lipos because the charger goes bananas when I plug them up...the LCD screen/voltage shows the numbers going crazy throughout the charging process.

RC Qualifier
    I've read that once they puff to toss them...I wouldn't attempt to charge them...That's just my opinion...

I have heard storing them in the fridge is a good idea though
    Stampede 4x4 VXL.......Slash Raptor 2wd

If they are really puffed, they are done trash them. As for the fridge No, it causes moisture on the leads.
    Get a ammo box to store them in, then put them in a cool dry place... I built a battery charge/storage box with sliding lid.......
    Would you go flip my truck back over??

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    I have stored mine in an airtight container in my fridge since day 1... not a single issue with moisture.

Cool storage will help them last longer!
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Champion
    When I first got into lipo I talked with Tom at SPC. He was MORE than helpful and I store and charge my lipos on the kitchen counter in lipo bags.

RC Champion
    yea theyre not really puffed but I can notice the difference since day one. if I had to make a choice, I would say they are trashed. but how do you guys dispose of them?

Completely discharge and then place in the trash.

RC Champion
    wow i thought it was more to it then that!?!?! so discharge every cell to 0.00? excuse me if i sound like a rookie to this but i am when it comes to certain aspects of lipos. never been thru this before.

RC Enthusiast
    You cant just bin them, drop them into a bucket of salt water for 48 hours, then they are safe to bin.😊

RC Champion
    yea i just watched some vids and i think i will cut the leads(at two different ends to avoid contact) soak them in salt water then i'll dispose of them.

RC Champion
    thanks guys for the help

would want more members to chime in on their experience with storing LiPo's in the fridge. I'm leaning towards this method.

RC Champion
    I do automotive repair for a livin. We are a dealer for Interstate batteries and they actually take my BAD lipos as is no problems. I did warn the driver about it and he said no problem I can handle it.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by G-Rustler View Post
    thanks guys for the help

would want more members to chime in on their experience with storing LiPo's in the fridge. I'm leaning towards this method.
    I thinking this methods as well. Getting ready on trying lipo for the first time and I was surprised while reading about storing lipos. I would like to know more of this as well.

Thinking of asking my parents if a I can use this small fridge that they're not using yet. It's empty and big enough to put ammo cans in depending on the sizes of them.

Do the fridge need to be set at a certain temp? The one I mentioned don't have something like that. Also if the power is out and still haven't come on in days, should I take the lipo out?
    Did you say Traxxas?

Yes with or without lipos.

Just a cool dark place... you do not want them to freeze.

RC Qualifier
    Talked to my dad and I can use the small fridge. It need to be clean up a little before I put my battery in.
    Did you say Traxxas?

Yes with or without lipos.