Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC Qualifier

emmanhello Summit built!!!

I do really enjoy to see someone else's built thread, so I decided to make one for you, guys!
    Also, it's my 300th post!!! celebration woohoo

I already have many pic, I'll start with the unboxing:

Happy like a baby!

I was so shocked by how big the wheel were.... Compared to my stampede and my friend's slash, this is definitely not a 1/10 scale! So.... huge... It cost me many $$$$ because I bought it new, but I regret nothing. at. all.

That thing is so eating them!
    ... for the fun of excess!

RC Qualifier
    First upgrade: Install a Dusty Motor shroud cover, I had a very good experience with the one I bought for my Stampede.

Then second upgrade, a T-Bone racing skid plate and bumper kit!

I had to dremel them a bit, they were rubbing with the driveshaft

Also changed my rear spring to fix the wobbling gobbling issue
    Hope you like it, many many upcoming pictures!!!

RC Qualifier
    Looks great, keep the photos coming. I would recommend these batteries. Not real flashy but boy you will love the extra power, more consistent power band and longer running times. Plus the price is about half of what the LHS have. http://spcracing.com/index.php?productID=153

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by BRICK57 View Post
    Looks great, keep the photos coming. I would recommend these batteries. Not real flashy but boy you will love the extra power, more consistent power band and longer running times. Plus the price is about half of what the LHS have. http://spcracing.com/index.php?productID=153
    thanks for the tip, I...
    ...OH look what's on my desk!!!!

I forgot to mention it!! Others thing I didn't mentioned: bought a set of tire: 3.8'' trencher mounted on Pro-line Tech 5 (and at the same time, trencher SC for my stamp4de)

You might have difficulty to differentiate them, but one set might be bigger.

How on earth they are both for 1/10 scale...

UPCOMING PIC: My center diff mod and my teking rx8 install. I just don't have time to finish my post, sorry... Tomorrow after work! Here's some more pic before sleep:

Good night!

RC Qualifier
    Man. I really like those wheels and tires. I may have to pick some up.

Is it wrong to have 4 sets of tires?

Very nice looking collection you have there!

-Brett
    4wd Sportmaxx 3.3
    E-Revo - Mamba Monster - Neu 4s

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by tjtoed View Post
    Man. I really like those wheels and tires. I may have to pick some up.

Is it wrong to have 4 sets of tires?
    no unless they are worn out beond use lol
    i have about 9 sets of tires between my three rc's
    summit /mustang /stampede-2s spc lipo

RC Champion
    Nice pics. I also have the Stampede 4x4 and Summit and was also really flashed by the huge tires of the summit.

Also had a Slash 2WD VXL but already sold, since 2WD is just not good for the bashing spots i'm heading for

Love those trenchers.

Keep on reporting

RC Qualifier
    Trenchers on a Summit =

Very nice build so far.
    This is a signature.

RC Qualifier
    Good start, What kind of driving will you do primarily with the Summit? Tekin plus tbone = bashing. But more upgrades should be done to strengthen her up a bit if its for bashing.

Any plans for a steering servo or alum upgrades?

What gearing do you plan on using?

You should have got the Trenchers X`s if you were planing on bashing. I have the X`s and now want the narrows for trail running/climbing
    To SUMMIT up, its my coolest RC.

RC Qualifier
    Thank for compliments guys!
    I currently own 7 set of tire... but 5 are for my stampede.

My response to Northern_Adventurer
    Good start, What kind of driving will you do primarily with the Summit? Tekin plus tbone = bashing.
    Yup!
    I will honestly say I will bash a lot more than crawling, but I still would like to keep the good crawling ability of the Summit.

But more upgrades should be done to strengthen her up a bit if its for bashing.

I really would like to upgrade to aluminum part, but I don't really know which part are good to upgrade and will wait until they break before upgrading! Currently, I only broke the center driveshaft and a gear in my rear diff. at the same time. (locked slipper is the cause)

Any plans for a steering servo or alum upgrades?

I currently don't have enough experience to see the point of upgrading servo, they're fine in my opinion. But I'm 100% sure I will, someday.

What gearing do you plan on using?
    I will gear it depending on the esc/motor temp! I was thinking 18 maybe 20, depend on how hard I drive and how fast it will be, I didn't even tried it yet!

You should have got the Trenchers X`s if you were planing on bashing. I have the X`s and now want the narrows for trail running/climbing
    I didn't really liked the trencher X for my summit, even if they would had been way better for bashing, they are too wide for me and I regret nothing with my narrow trencher! As I said, I would like to keep the Summit's crawling ability. There's chance I'll buy X's anyway

This almost looks like a Q&A

RC Qualifier
    As promised: PICTURES!!!

Because this happened:

I wanted to do a little mod to improve the durability of the center shaft. Here's the idea I came with. (there's chance someone already had this idea)
    Cut the old shaft and insert it inside the hollow portion of the shaft, to keep it from collapsing.

So I measured first ^^

And then CUT
    shorter, just to be sure the shaft can still play inside it.

And then INSERT

And then that's it. Cheap mod, that worked well cause I didn't had problem with yet. If you try, just tell me how you like it!! If anyone have an idea to improve it or find an inconvenient, I really would like to know!

Because I was bashing more than crawling, my summit was rolling over and I just wanted to try different ride height to improve stability. So I bought progressive 2 and progressive 3 rocker.
    In case you don't know what im takin' about :
    to the left: long travel rocker and to the right: progressive 2.

this is in the front; left: LT and right: P2

Here's a gif I had fun making

I currently run P2 and of course, I lost a bit of crawling capability but it DEFINITELY improved stability. I will suppose that p1 is somewhere between LT and P2, but I think that P2 is well balanced for both bash and crawl.

Took me a while to write all this and my job is really time consuming (I hate my job but this will not last long because I'll quit soon!) it looks like you'll have to wait until tomorrow to see the BEST part of all:
    Tekin brushless install!!!!!

RC Qualifier

First look at the RX8 Gen 2

Unboxing of my precious Tekin RX8 Gen2 combo + 2250kv T8 sensored brushless motor! I've been waiting about 5 month for this combo to be in stock. I've been lucky and paid 280$ usd + 20$ shipping with no import or extra fees. (normally 330$ shipping not included)

Included inside the box:

Tekin have discontinued their Gen 1. What's new in the gen2? I don't know!!
    It's supposed to handle 220 amps of continuous current, even though many people doubt it...

I'm so curious, I had to take a look deeper and take everything apart... The solder were nice and solid. Sorry, no macro function on a iPhone....

Here's the can compared to others I have:

From left to right: ??? 4300kv motor (same size as velineon 3500 but 5mm shorter), Castle 1415 2400kv, T8 2250kv and Titan 775

The Titan seems bigger in diameter but it's the same as the T8 with the cooling fins (42mm diameter or 40mm without fins.)

RC Qualifier
    INSTALLATION!!!

There was no connector included in the kit because ''Direct wiring uses no plug and provides the best connection between the motor and the ESC.'' BUT I'm stubborn and will put some later anyway.
    Soldering the wire:

So I have been thinking alot on how I would mount the ESC on the summit without going mad... I kept it simple and this is how I did.

The Rx8 have 3 mounting holes for screw:

I used aviation snips to cut an old thin metal sheet of the same shape as the stock evx-2 ESC and drilled holes at the same location.

Fit perfectly! looks pretty solid, I am happy with this. Drilled an extra hole for the switch:

There we go!! Look so nice, get wait to try it!

''Why brushless in a summit?!?? It will break everything...'' Well, for the fun of excess!!! They make spare parts, you know
    My first intention was to get more speed and less heat, my titan was getting too hot, IMO. Sensored because meh, I still want to crawl!
    Next: video!! My charger is broken and couldn't charge my batteries for about 3 weeks, I'm still waiting for it right now. As soon as I get it, I will post the video.

RC Competitor
    Looks great. Where did you find it for 280? The cheapest I can find it is 289 plus shipping.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

RC Qualifier
    thebarnfloor.com but i paid 178.99$ while it it was back order, right now it is 189.99$ that's why I said I was lucky!

RC Champion
    Sweet combo. Nice!

RC Qualifier
    Yeah. Looks good. Can't wait to hear and see how it runs.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by emmanhello View Post
    thebarnfloor.com but i paid 178.99$ while it it was back order, right now it is 189.99$ that's why I said I was lucky!
    +100$
    lol...

RC Racer
    What charger are you using for the spc lipos? Very nice build btw
    ^^Summit Kawasaki Edition and E-revo VXL^^

RC Qualifier
    I have a Hitec X2-400 than can charge both lipo batteries at 2c (16.4 A each) and a G.T. power supply that can supply 17v and 36 A.
    Both are modded with temperature regulated fan and added ampere meter with display to the power supply, I might post pic and how I did this, if people are interested

I'm sure there are people interested
    I like to learn new things.

Sent using lipo power
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Qualifier
    I have a Hitec X2-400 than can charge both lipo batteries at 2c (16.4 A each) and a G.T. power supply that can supply 17v and 36 A.
    Both are modded with temperature regulated fan and added ampere meter with display to the power supply, I might post pic and how I did this, if people are interested
    I'd like to see that as well.
    Thanks for posting!
    Working hard to appear reasonably sane.

RC Racer
    Looking good! I almost bought the RX8 Gen2/T8 2000kv from thebarnfloor a couple of weeks ago, but decided to wait until the RX8 Gen2/T8 Gen2 is available. Looks to be getting closer, http://www.teamtekin.com/t8.html.

Are you on vacation at the moment by chance? If so send me a PM maybe we could get together for some Summitting.

Cheers
    Tekin powered Summit

RC Qualifier
    As soon as my charger is fixed, I will post the pics. It's been 3 weeks since it's gone, I had a ''break down/voltage input error'' issue with only one side of the charger, couldn't charge batteries with that side

@Jimmy1971
    That would be nice!!! I PM'd you.

RC Champion
    @emmanhello: I have received the dusty motors shroud for my summit today and found that it is a little larger than the side of the chassis where it is put on and kind of overlaps a little. Is this normal?

RC Qualifier
    If you're talking about this:

Yes this is ''normal'' . You don't have to worry about it, you can just put the excess to the rear so it won't come off while running.

RC Champion
    If you're talking about this:

Yes this is ''normal'' . You don't have to worry about it, you can just put the excess to the rear so it won't come off while running.
    Exactly what i meant. Thanks.

PS: You' re screw heads need a drop of WD40
    Last edited by soundmaster; 07-26-2013 at 01:23 AM.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by soundmaster View Post
    Exactly what i meant. Thanks.

PS: You' re screw heads need a drop of WD40
    Lol, already done, I just didn't cleaned the rust!

I have a question for you guy!!! What is the point of having a single servo?

RC Champion
    Lol, already done, I just didn't cleaned the rust!

I have a question for you guy!!! What is the point of having a single servo?
    You can achieve a stronger and faster steering, but you could also add two stonger and faster servos. I also don't really know if single servo is better. Maybe cheeper, less power consuming and more easy to install otherwise i can't find any advantage.

For me personally the Stock servos are sufficient, but if you add more weight (wheels, tires, big lipos...) or install are bl-system they are probably too weak.

EDIT: Ok i read another advantage. With a single servo the servos can't fight each other:

Here is the thread:

http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...servo-question
    Last edited by soundmaster; 07-26-2013 at 06:54 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Thanks!
    the link you posted answered all my questions!

RC Qualifier
    I'm itching to go brushless eg. MM2 for waterproof capabilities but I don't know whether I should or not
    Slugs are just naturally aspirated snails

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by JoelRobbo View Post
    I'm itching to go brushless eg. MM2 for waterproof capabilities but I don't know whether I should or not
    It would also interest me if it is worth going BL. But with a sensorless System a la MM2 you would lose the capability of going real slow and with a sensored System you looe the Waterproof ability. Ok with the shroud is will be no big deal going through puddles and shallow water.

I think i will stay with the stock system with my high C-Rating 2s Lipos. The only real downside is that the 775 motor is pretty power hungy when driven in high gear.

If you are prepared for the extra wear and tear.IE: inspecting more often
    And more repairs not just from breakage.stock bearings that are now spinning 3 times as fast as they were.parts wear faster that's a fact.If you have a heavy throttle finger breaking parts first is a possibility that is
    Real.
    Am I saying don't do it...NO I am not saying that.just be prepared for extra work.
    I run a tekin rx8 2000 kv sensored
    part time myself...it's a 13 lbs brick
    But she climbs like a goat lol

Sent using lipo power
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Qualifier
    You don't really need brushless for crawling, unless you want bashing. Has jamann said, it will be a lot of extra wear and tear. If you have budget but not the time to repair, you should have another rc for bashing.

@jamann: what is your 2000kv motor? It looks bigger than the T8 motor!!

The so far bomb.....Jamann proof xerun
    Also have a 2100 track star
    Next to a dewalt 14.4v

Sent using lipo power
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by soundmaster View Post
    It would also interest me if it is worth going BL. But with a sensorless System a la MM2 you would lose the capability of going real slow and with a sensored System you looe the Waterproof ability. Ok with the shroud is will be no big deal going through puddles and shallow water.

I think i will stay with the stock system with my high C-Rating 2s Lipos. The only real downside is that the 775 motor is pretty power hungy when driven in high gear.
    true....but to gain some of what you would lose with brushless you could gear it down......72t....11t....
    summit /mustang /stampede-2s spc lipo

I don't do any water with the tekin.
    I have the dewalt evx 2 that I run most of the time for that.The power available even with 4s makes me slip into "captain Idiot" mode, rarely ends well lol
    So I don't run it to much.i am tomorrow though. Lol

Sent using lipo power
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Champion
    I got my trusty Stampede 4x4 for bashing at my BMX track and my Summit for the wood. Both do their job pretty darn well.

The Stampede 4x4 is a great basher and so durable. I hadn't had a single breakage for over a year now. Still running everything stock. Just added a heat sink to the motor and sealed the center drive shaft in the front with some foam. (and lowered the body for sure)

The Summit to me is an "go everywhere except for the air" truck

These both trucks complement one another really well.
    Last edited by soundmaster; 07-27-2013 at 04:28 AM.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by jamann View Post
    If you are prepared for the extra wear and tear.IE: inspecting more often
    And more repairs not just from breakage.stock bearings that are now spinning 3 times as fast as they were.parts wear faster that's a fact.If you have a heavy throttle finger breaking parts first is a possibility that is
    Real.
    Am I saying don't do it...NO I am not saying that.just be prepared for extra work.
    I run a tekin rx8 2000 kv sensored
    part time myself...it's a 13 lbs brick
    But she climbs like a goat lol

Sent using lipo power
    On a scale of 1 - 10 how much faster does brushless tear up parts as opposed to stock? The only breakage/failure I've had was the two bearings on the input shaft to the front diff and that ruined the pinion gear. Those bearings have now been upgraded to high quality ones. Im guessing I would need to stock up on driveshafts, a spare diff, and most probably steel centres? And some new tyres.
    Slugs are just naturally aspirated snails