RC Qualifier

Pros/cons of running 5s lipo?

Does anybody here run 5s? Its not 6s so maybe it wont tear up the drivetrain?

Let me know the benefits and the cons of running 5s..
    Thanks

RC Qualifier
    Two different batteries, uneven weight... Why?

Just open up castle link and turn down your power if you want.

Samsung Galaxy S4 | Tapatalk 2
    MM|2200kv 2WD LCG Slash - MM2|2650kv LCG Slash 4x4

Pro more voltage more speed & power
    Con unless you charge in series you can not charge both batts at the same time.
    Would you go flip my truck back over??

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitteh298 View Post
    Two different batteries, uneven weight... Why?

Just open up castle link and turn down your power if you want.

Samsung Galaxy S4 | Tapatalk 2
    well i run 4s and am looking for more power.. but dont want the problems that come with 6s...

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by 87 GN View Post
    Pro more voltage more speed & power
    Con unless you charge in series you can not charge both batts at the same time.
    I have a thunder multi charger that charges 4 lipos at once

^prob solved sounds like you are ready to go.......
    Would you go flip my truck back over??

RC Champion
    Con - It's too slow...

Pro- a 5s Setup (or 6s) should leave your batteries cool since they can provide more amps. I have puffed a 4s setup trying to get enough speed with gearing.

6s is a lot though and not for everyone. The XO-1 hits 100mph and is powered on 6s.
    Its All relative to your perspective.

RC Qualifier
    I've been running TP 5s for about 1 1/2 yrs - its no joke. Almost too much power for most spots. You can spin any tire on pavevment. I got a rig from Hughes500Bob to charge them in series (but looks like you got that issue solved).

So far I've snapped 3 axles and shredded the gears in the tranny - total cost to fix all was about $40. No problems with the stock diffs.

RC Qualifier
    should i regear for 5s?

RC Racer
    5s no pros, run 6s

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by AngryEVO8 View Post
    5s no pros, run 6s
    have you ran 5s?

RC Turnbuckle Jr. humayrayakongkinaon's Avatar
    I've run 4s and 6s and I can tell you that jumping from 4s to 6s is a big difference, a blip of the throttle and your truck is on its lid. that's why I stay 4s its plenty fast for me
    | Rally GT8 Powered By CC |

RC Champion
    Con: 5 is an odd number.

RC Qualifier
    Yes, regear. I'm running the stock spur and bought a 24t pinion - so I'm at 24/65.
    I'm using this pinion: Robinson Racing 8724 (5mm 8 Mod Pinion 24t)

Tires I run: badlands 3.8, 40 series crime fighters, 40 series road rages and Phaltlines - yes, all at once.

Pros: makes non-5s people jealous lol

Quote Originally Posted by Socalirevo View Post
    should i regear for 5s?

RC Qualifier
    I run 6s all the time without any drivetrain problems. Im running CVD's but stock other than that (drivetrain wise). I often run 4s too, but its a little boring from 6 to 4 lol. Im running 18T / 54T and am happy with the trucks performance.
    E-REVO MMM - Stampede 4x4 6s/3s

RC Qualifier
    ^^ I think a lot depends on how you drive. I rarely break drivetrain parts, but just this weekend, I was doing some hooligan like activities on pavement (wheelies, drifting, burnouts) and I snapped 2 axles. The hard launches are what break things for me. Of course hard landings too

RC Qualifier
    Are you running stock drive shafts ?

RC Qualifier
    I ran 5s in my emaxx. I set the punch to the lowest setting and never had drivetrain issues

RC Qualifier
    Stock drive shafts and axles (maybe you meant to ask about axles??). I've only broken the rear axles. I'm switching to Summit axles - just ordered them yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by firemanJBI View Post
    Are you running stock drive shafts ?

RC Qualifier
    Sry ya I meant drive axles

RC Qualifier
    no biggie. I knew what you meant.

I should have mentioned I have punch control disabled.

Sry ya I meant drive axles

RC Qualifier
    I purchased my rig used. How can I tell if the punch control is disabled ? I only have the TQi (non docking base).

RC Qualifier
    ^^ You'll need a Castle Creations Field link card or the standard USB link to connect to a computer.
    You can set the punch control from the Field link card directly, or you can set it from Castle's free software on your computer. The Field card comes with a USB cable so you can use the card by itself or use it to interface your ESC and computer.

Field link card: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Castle-Creat...-/390600086011

If you get this card, you will most likely have to do a firmware update on the card itself.

RC Qualifier
    Looks confusing to me lol.

RC Qualifier
    Looks confusing to me lol.
    haha. feel free to PM me with questions.

I've never tried 5s, only 4 and 6s...6s is the way to go for me. I love the grunt of 6s, it suits my driving style too.
    Rock n Rolla !

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Socalirevo View Post
    have you ran 5s?
    In my revos i have ran everything from 4s to 12s and i can tell you know that on all them i have ran the stock diffs and metal shafts and have only recently put 1/8 diffs and LST shafts on my Basher revo.

I prefer to run 6s in all my cars, the only car that i run 5s was my 1/8 buggy until i sold it.

I Run 6s because if you gear it properly the setup for the same speed will pull less amps and create less heat. That means there is less chance of cooking motors and ESC. I gear all my bash vehicles for about 40-45mph. In terms of breakages yes on 6s you will break things, mostly shafts and diffs, but you will do that on 4s as well!!! It is all about how you drive.

We see so many threads all about "i broke a diff what do i do", and "i broke a shaft what do i do"
    If you want a close to bash proof revo here it is, no slipper at all lock that thing up right now, run 1/8 diffs and do the LST shaft mod. I have taken it one step further and i choose to run a XL2 in my revo, simply because it would fit and i had one lying around doing nothing.

If you want the speed run 6s you will still break things and you will have fun doing it, but you will still break things on 4s the best control you have on if you break something or not is that thing in your hand called a remote. If you are heading toward a tree steer or brake or do something but dont hit the tree, if you are doing constant backflips dont complain that you are breaking stock diffs, if you are racing and you keep landing on throttle your diffs and shafts are going to have a bad day. None of that is from what voltage you run.

One more thing, if you do choose to put LST diffs in your Revo you will need to run 6s to get enough speed out of it anyway due to the gearing difference between the stock diff and a 1/8 buggy diff.

Just run 6s, do the 1/8 mods there are heaps of threads on here showing how to do it. Oh and i run 6s in my truggy and because i put a 1521 1Y in it, if i want i can still break diffs. IT IS ALL ABOUT HOW YOU DRIVE
    Last edited by AngryEVO8; 07-15-2013 at 08:31 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Im not trying to do insane speed runs or change to a diff that forces me to run 6s....Or change my diff at all for that matter... i just want a little more power..

RC Racer
    What problems are you expecting to get on 5 or 6s that you wont get on 4s??

RC Qualifier
    I'm running 5s now days. I used to run 4s and I won't go back to it I dont think. I have steel driveshafts at all four corners and down the center. I am going through spur gears like crazy, although it's fairly dialed in now, not stripping them as quickly. I will be going back to mod 1 gearing fairly soon though. Should help a lot.
    Using while stupid may cause serious injury.

RC Qualifier
    Well I dont have very many driveline problems on 4s at all.... Im hoping 5s will be the same way... no problems.
    I havent blown a diff on 4s and have only broken 1 driveshaft on 1 of my 2 erbes. 1 had a diff issue but i believe it was from the previous owner...

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by AK SNO RIDER View Post
    I'm running 5s now days. I used to run 4s and I won't go back to it I dont think. I have steel driveshafts at all four corners and down the center. I am going through spur gears like crazy, although it's fairly dialed in now, not stripping them as quickly. I will be going back to mod 1 gearing fairly soon though. Should help a lot.
    Get the HPP motor brace and never strip a spur gear ever again!!

Bash it like someone else has to fix it!

RC Qualifier
    Yup, that will probably solve your problem completely

RC Racer
    Socalirevo, if you are not blowing driveshafts left and right and diffs on 4s than you will be ok on 5s or 6s. It really is more about how you drive it than how much voltage you run.

RC Qualifier
    Oh ok. Good to know. Now I just need to find some lipos!!!