RC Qualifier

Single 3s not enough amps?

I was curious if anyone else has ruined 3s batteries when only running a single. I've ruined two of them. Seems like one battery doesn't have enough available amps for the velineon system. I just ordered the last 3s 1500 from spc and I don't want to ruin it, but also don't want to wait to use it. Has anyone else run into that?
    addicted much....

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    If you are using the stock VXL system and stock gearing (maybe even lower gearing if running off-road), most quality 3S packs should be more than sufficient. Over-discharging is the number one cause of RC LiPo pack failure, so take a look at how low the packs are discharged. Also, are they ever left in the RC vehicle and connected to the ESC for any length of time after running? Are they always charged to storage levels shortly after use, or do they set near empty for days? Are they ever left out in the hot afternoon sun or inside a full-sized vehicle with the windows up, just baking away?
    All of these things and more can contribute to short LiPo packs life.

RC Qualifier
    That's the thing. I take proper care of them. I never leave them in the sun, or plugged into the car. I always unplug immediately and store in a lipo bag. I never use a battery unless it is fully charged. That's why I'm kinda perplexed. I do store them at lvc sometimes. Maybe that's it. Also I have a qualty charger.
    addicted much....

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by the finisher View Post
    ... I do store them at lvc sometimes...
    Not good.

What motor, gearing and tires are you running?

RC Qualifier
    Stock motor, esc, and gearing. 21/55 or 21/50, cant remember what spur i have on there. It's been a long time since I messed with it. I run dirthawgs on hpi 2160's. I haven't even ran a 3s pack in it since last year. The thing is I have several 2s packs for everything from a pede to erevo, emaxx, and my mini's of course, and have never had a problem with those. It's only the 3s packs that do it. I stopped buying them for this reason. But I'm getting bored with 2s speed.
    addicted much....

RC Qualifier
    Lets do the math. The SPC 3S LiPo has a capacity of 1500maH and is rated at 30C continous discharge: 1.500 mAh x 30C = 45A max constant amps (in theory and if the 30C rating is true.)

I believe the Velineon 380 can burst to more amps than one of that LiPos can deliver, especially with the bigger and more sticky tires.
    I would run dual 3S, less stress for the LiPos and the ESC.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by CMD-J View Post
    ... I believe the Velineon 380 can burst to more amps than one of that LiPos can deliver, especially with the bigger and more sticky tires...
    When running larger diameter tires, an RC vehicle should be geared down accordingly.

RC Qualifier
    Imo the dirthawgs arent as grippy as the talons. I just think the way I drive and the low available amps cause too much stress on the battery making it puff up. I had one puff up like a football. It was fully charged when i started. Although it was on a high grip surface (asphalt).
    addicted much....

RC Qualifier
    Weight and diameter is as much if not more of a consideration than tire grip I believe when talking about stressing the powertrain.