RC Competitor

Cool Time to experiment

I know this is an old topic, but just for giggles, I'm going to try a gyro on my Slash. If I like it, then I'm going to put one on my daughter's Slash ... it'll help keep her interested if it's easier to drive.

RC Champion
    Let us know how it goes
    Slash 4x4 LCG, Rusty VXL(not runnin), and my bike.

Well, it may not handle on the dirt any better, but it should be able to hover with the best of them...

Let us know how it does.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC Competitor
    None of my LHS has a dang gyro ... and rate only gyros seem to be hard to come by. I'll keep you updated. FYI, it's going in my 2400KV and MMP CC Slash 2x4. I'm also going to be stacking some smaller 2 cell batts in series, as well as trying it with some larger batts. Hopefully this thing will rock ... BTW, my local track said we can race it in Novice class with the gyro ... I was quite surprised.

RC Competitor
    Well I bought two Rate Gyros and they arrived this weekend. I installed them as they are in a heli ... remove the servo wire from the RX, plug it into the gyro, then plug the gyro into the RX. Long story short ... didn't work. One gyro would not initialize, and the other would, but would not send signal to the servo. I returned them to the person I purchased them from. I now have a HH gyro coming and should be here by the weekend. I was told how to put the Head Hold gyro in Rate mode, so we'll see how this one works. If it works, I'll post video and pics. Stay tuned ...

I use an exceed gyro on my Rusty and it works pretty well, but on a truck the action is subtle and adjustable. I have mine set to go straight.
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

RC Competitor
    I'm anxious to get it set up and try it on the track ... especially on the oval track. If it works well with my 2x4, then I'll try it with my 4x4.

RC Champion
    I also use the Exceed Gyro on my 2wd Slashes and just love what they can do to assist in keeping the trucks straight from a standing start on loose dirt or pavement. Also allows to drift in corners a lot easier.
    When we go to the school parking lot and set up a oval, (weekends of course) the gyro allows you to carry a lot more speed in the turns, also looks cool going a bit sideways with the left front raised but the tire still planted on the ground.

I've tried one on my 4x4 Slash and wasn't really any help, the 4x4 does good on it's own.

The draw back I found was the trucks turning radius was decreased and real tight turns can't be done. I tried one at the race track and really hindered my turning and actually not needed because of the high traction clay surface.

Another thing it will aid in is stopping.... It helps keep the truck from going sideways as it can correct much faster than you can correct.

To me they are perfect for bashing, never go without one...LOL
    "enjoy your ride"

Dennis

RC Competitor
    Ok orca and OG ... I'm stumped. I got an E-flite G210 gyro. I hooked it up between the servo and the RX. When I power up the truck, the red light just flashes and there is no signal going to the servo. There is no gain pot on it, only a throttle pot. All my polarities are correct. Any suggestions ?

I have no idea what to tell you. Mine was pretty much plug and play, meaning that the gyro seems to try to make my car go straight. There is one dial but I haven't adjusted it since early on.

The exceed gyro is supposed to be made for cars and I guess it makes a difference... or not. I don't know.

RC Competitor
    Which model gyro are you using ?

RC Champion
    This is the one I use.
    It is made for use in rc cars/trucks. The gyros used in helicopters do not work in RC cars, I tried that route first.

http://www.hobbypartz.com/exrcdrprogdr.html
    "enjoy your ride"

Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by orca44 View Post
    This is the one I use.
    It is made for use in rc cars/trucks. The gyros used in helicopters do not work in RC cars, I tried that route first.

http://www.hobbypartz.com/exrcdrprogdr.html
    Same here.

RC Competitor
    Figures ... out of stock

RC Champion
    They should have them back in stock soon.

I noticed they were on sale and I would venture to say that was the reason for being out of stock.
    "enjoy your ride"

Dennis

RC Competitor
    Well I'm gonna be keeping my eyes open ... hopefully they'll be available sooner than later. Patience is not my strong suit

RC Champion
    You can call and ask them when they might be back in stock...
    "enjoy your ride"

Dennis

RC Competitor
    I'll call them from work tomorrow. In the meantime I put myself on the in stock notify list.

RC Champion
    Have you received a reply from them yet?
    "enjoy your ride"

Dennis

RC Competitor
    Nope ... nothing, nada, nope. I was gonna call them again today from work, but after I thought of it, I got real busy.

Bummer. I hate waiting for things too. Did you try amazon or fleabay?

RC Competitor
    Amazon ? Nope ... I forgot about them. Fleabay ? I'll pass on them ... they come from China.

RC Champion
    ImOldAndbald, did you ever get a gyro for your Slash?
    "enjoy your ride"

Dennis

RC Competitor
    Nope not yet. I'll get three of them when they become available. Still no return phone calls from them either.